side pain

Options
What causes pain in my sides when I run? Sometimes I get it, sometimes I don't. I am a very beginner runner, so my routine is walk for 5 minutes, run for 6, walk 5, run 6, walk 5, run 6, walk 2 to cool down and done.

Sometimes I'll get the pain in my last 5 minutes of running, sometimes I get it in each 5 minutes but not until the last minute or two, sometimes I won't get it at all. What causes this? Is there a way to get it to go away? Sometimes if it's not too bad I can power through, but it has hurt so bad each time I inhale that I have to walk.....should I try powering through the pain, or is it a sign to stop?

Replies

• SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    could be cramps, or it could be weak core muscles, or some kind of muscle issue. If it continues or gets worse I would have it checked out. But cramps are quite common when running. FYI, from what I'm told these don't feel anything like the other types of cramps ladies can get, I wouldn't know, but that's what the wife said.
  • Nmama
    Nmama Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    my friend is a runner and an RN and I asked her about them once. She said that its usually due to the breathing. Are you breathing heavy? and and out through your nose? She says that it is a side stich, like a muscle spasm of the diaphragm. Once you control your breathing and pace it is suppossed to be less common. You may be able to find something on a fitness site if you search side stitch. I get them too and it drives me nuts but I notice that i tend to breathe in and out of my nose and im trying to change my breathing
  • jbalos
    Options
    I get them sometimes, too. But I have found that if I tighten my stomach muscles while I'm running/walking they get better or don't come on at all.
  • Disappearing
    Options
    I did some research on it and I can't remember where but seen that it could be caused by CO2 buildup. Basically try to force more breath out and see if it helps. Or do what I do and grit and deal with it until I'm done running.
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    my friend is a runner and an RN and I asked her about them once. She said that its usually due to the breathing. Are you breathing heavy? and and out through your nose? She says that it is a side stich, like a muscle spasm of the diaphragm. Once you control your breathing and pace it is suppossed to be less common. You may be able to find something on a fitness site if you search side stitch. I get them too and it drives me nuts but I notice that i tend to breathe in and out of my nose and im trying to change my breathing

Actually I breathe in and out of my mouth, I know that is all wrong (it's supposed to be inhale through nose, exhale through mouth, right?). But when I try breathing in through my nose I don't feel like I get enough oxygen in. My breathing probably isn't great because I've never been a runner, but I know it is way better than it ever used to be since I have lost weight and gotten in better shape. I used to pant....now most times I don't even notice my breathing, which basically means I must not feel like I am in severe trauma if I don't even notice my breathing.:ohwell:

I will try breathing in my nose though, maybe it's something that takes practice and I can work up to it. The weird thing is, when I do get the cramps, I don't necessarily notice a difference in fatigue or breathing....like the cramps don't seem to coincide with whether or not I am particularily tired that day or the run is more difficult.
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I get them sometimes, too. But I have found that if I tighten my stomach muscles while I'm running/walking they get better or don't come on at all.

I'll try that, thanks!
  • nicolee516
    nicolee516 Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options

Actually I breathe in and out of my mouth, I know that is all wrong (it's supposed to be inhale through nose, exhale through mouth, right?). But when I try breathing in through my nose I don't feel like I get enough oxygen in. My breathing probably isn't great because I've never been a runner, but I know it is way better than it ever used to be since I have lost weight and gotten in better shape. I used to pant....now most times I don't even notice my breathing, which basically means I must not feel like I am in severe trauma if I don't even notice my breathing.:ohwell:

I will try breathing in my nose though, maybe it's something that takes practice and I can work up to it. The weird thing is, when I do get the cramps, I don't necessarily notice a difference in fatigue or breathing....like the cramps don't seem to coincide with whether or not I am particularily tired that day or the run is more difficult.

I know it feels like you don't get enough air when you breath through your nose, but it actually controls your breathing. If you mouth breath all of the time, you run the risk of hyperventilating....I think it does go with CO2 overload.

It also helps to have a breathing pattern. for example, on a slower run I use a 3-2 breathing pattern, in for 3 breaths out for 2 breaths. It goes with my footfalls. If I want to pick up my pace I do a faster breathing pattern, like 2-2....I hope that makes sense!