Calve Muscles

Options
2»

Replies

• blackcoffeeandcherrypie
    Options
    It could be the way you're walking / how your foot hits the ground. Do you under or over pronate? i.e. do you walk more on the inside or outside of your foot, rather than hitting the floor dead centre?

As a long shot, it might be worth going to one of those running stores where they film you running on a treadmill for a few seconds, and then analyse whether you need extra support in your training shoe.

A simple way to tell is to look at old shoes and see which side of the sole wears more. I used to walk too much on the outsides of my feet and this gave me bad shin splints.
  • janlee_001
    janlee_001 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    It could be the way you're walking / how your foot hits the ground. Do you under or over pronate? i.e. do you walk more on the inside or outside of your foot, rather than hitting the floor dead centre?

As a long shot, it might be worth going to one of those running stores where they film you running on a treadmill for a few seconds, and then analyse whether you need extra support in your training shoe.

A simple way to tell is to look at old shoes and see which side of the sole wears more. I used to walk too much on the outsides of my feet and this gave me bad shin splints.
    I will have to go look - yes I do walk one side more than the other - i just hardly wear shoes.
  • janlee_001
    Options
    I purchased some No Salt today which is Potassium Chloride - that will help me add K to my diet w/o the cals.
  • ashtonvv
    Options
    Are your day shoes very different from your workout shoes? Aka, are you in high heels all day and then flats when they cramp?
    No, I pretty much walk around all day barefoot or in flipflops - rarely wear heels. I wish that would solve it. Thank you.

I would try a different pair of shoes, go into a store and get fitted properly. If your shoes are too tight or aren't giving you the right support it can cause alot of discomfort issues.

I would try different stretches that target the calf muscles, try sitting down toes pointed inwards and reach as close to your toes as you can. Also, when standing put on foot infront of the other and go into a light squat position, you should feel it stretch from your ankle all the way to the back of your knee.

Also, stretch those quads, some time sore muscles come from something not working properly above or below the muscle that is sore (over compensation).

Hopefully this helps. -- I just came off a long run with shin splints so I can relate to your pain.
  • Maryaly40
    Maryaly40 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    are you getting enough potassium?
    That might just be the issue - I have been drinking my 8+ glasses of water and liquids/day. I will try fueling up on some gatorade and eat foods higher in potassium.

Good suggestion.

No Gatorade! Sugar water. All you need is water. Or try Cononut Water
  • twinmama1987
    twinmama1987 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    could be your shoes.
  • Weebs628
    Weebs628 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem especially when I run or jump I just have to stretch it out really good. Some days it's worse than others. I go to a massage therapist and he says I'm always tight in my calves from my dancing so I just stretch, massage and stay hydrated.
  • janlee_001
    Options
    Well I bought potassium chloride - Salt substitute. I've been increasing my calcium (but I don't think that is the problem)

Is it possible that I just have too much weight for my calves? What about lactic acid how do I keep that from building up?
  • plattypus
    plattypus Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    have your potassium checked and especially your calcium. I get severe cramps in my calves even when i'm asleep to the point that it will wake me from a sound sleep. went to the doctor and my calcium was critically low and was put on prescription dose of calcium twice a week.
  • Anamdalta
    Options
    One of my biggest issues is my calve muscles. If I dance, Zumba, aerobics .... my calf muscle get extremely sore within 5 minutes of my workout. They cramp/lock up a bit. It's enough that I have to often pause my routine and stretch (toes toward body)

BTW - I even warmed up with a 7 minute exercise today and wore my leg warmers - didn't help.

Can anyone help me to prevent this or offer any suggestions? Thank you.

Try drinking water and eating a banana a bit before your work out. Bananas are a great source of potassium.
  • Bigwein5
    Options
    I play a huge amount of tennis and have had serious cramping issues. The only thing that solved this was eating a Detour bar about 1/2 hour before exercise, which supplied enough sugar and potassium to eliminate any cramping. The only problem with the bars, are that they are approximately 150 calories.
  • shewdog
    Options
    I used to have this problem, I have found though that since doing "Good toes naughty toes" something my mum taught me to do and she has amazing calf muscles. I have done it every night in bed for the last year and not had cramp once, Whereas before I used to wake up with it in the night in agony with calf cramp.

You basically point your toes down and then back up towards your shins, repeat 15 times :)
  • janlee_001
    Options
    I used to have this problem, I have found though that since doing "Good toes naughty toes" something my mum taught me to do and she has amazing calf muscles. I have done it every night in bed for the last year and not had cramp once, Whereas before I used to wake up with it in the night in agony with calf cramp.

You basically point your toes down and then back up towards your shins, repeat 15 times :)
    I will give that a try
  • janlee_001
    Options
    I play a huge amount of tennis and have had serious cramping issues. The only thing that solved this was eating a Detour bar about 1/2 hour before exercise, which supplied enough sugar and potassium to eliminate any cramping. The only problem with the bars, are that they are approximately 150 calories.

That is probably a big part of my problem I 'usually' haven't had much sugar or potassium before a workout - I'm going to keep trying ideas.
  • janlee_001
    Options
    have your potassium checked and especially your calcium. I get severe cramps in my calves even when i'm asleep to the point that it will wake me from a sound sleep. went to the doctor and my calcium was critically low and was put on prescription dose of calcium twice a week.

I might look into that. Since I started taking thyroid medicine though I cannot take calcium supplements. I did have the calve issues before the thyroid meds.

Thank you.