i need a new car help me pick

Options

Replies

• fieldsy4life
    Options
    I love my '11 BMW 335i Coupe - but who wouldn't so we don't need to harp on it haha.

With that said! My next car will definately be a SUV. Wrangler Unlimited (the 4 door) is my top pick. Rugged styling, AWD, nice interior, and TONS of cargo room if you fold the rear seats down.

If you are getting just 1 car - get a crossover. They drive like a car not a truck, but you get the cargo capacity, AWD, and many are sporty.

For regular cars, go with the Nissan Murano. The Subaru Forester is great too. For American, check out the Grand Cherokee (not a Crossover but still a great ride).

For luxury, go with the BMW X3 or X5 if you can afford it (there are tons of Bimmers used since most people lease them and return them to the dealer after 2 years). If gas mileage isn't an issue, go with a USED Porsche Cayenne (Certified Pre-owned is best but more expensive).

I love window shopping for cars!
  • jesusHchris
    jesusHchris Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    Harley.
  • beckssmith70
    Options
    I decided at the grand ole age of 41 to finally start driving and passed my test last month!
    I have a Ford C-Max which I LOVE, it is great for throwing the dogs and tents in and taking off, I finally found my freedom! It is a beaut to drive, auto with cruise control haha I love just sitting steering, no idea why the Brits are so keen on their manuals, I learned to drive in one but much prefer the auto!
    Insurance is narley being a new driver and it being a 2 litre does not help £1000 a year, soooooooo when that finally comes down after a couple of years or so I will buy something a little flasher, not sure what yet,
  • piebird79
    piebird79 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I'd look at a Subaru Outback if I were you.
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    I leased a 2012 Hyundai Elantra last year - traded in a Jeep Compass. I get new cars every 2.5-3 yrs. I love my car - the gas milage is great, it rides well, it fits 5 people comfortably and I have all the options that cost thousands more in other cars. With the prices on used cars right now being so high, I wouldn't even consider getting anything but new. I've had my car 14 months, have almost 11,000 miles on it and I've seen ones a year older than mine selling for more than what I paid originally - the same car with the same options but higher milage. It's crazy! But have fun car-shopping - do lots of research first. It's one of my favorite things to do! (an expensive bad habit - lol). Did I mention we love my car so much we will probably do the lease buy-out next year & get rid of hubby's car? NOTE: The car is awesome for safety, too. I actually leased a 2011 same car - but totalled it by someone in a Land Rover. The car was a mess - the only thing that happened to me was when my side of the car bounced against hers, my glasses got smashed off and twisted from the air bag. I didn't have a scratch on me, I was just sore.
    I love Hyundais as well! I would totally buy the Sonata or Elantra. I'm glad to hear the Elantra is roomy from a real person!
  • pixtotts
    pixtotts Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    i would love a volvo 4X4 xc90 or xc60 ....
    but thats way out of my price range...but im happy with my 12 year old corsa :) x
  • afv417
    afv417 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Had a Nissan Altima for 8 years and loved it! Recently purchased a new Jeep Patriot and love it! Would've preferred the Jeep Sahara but it was a bit out of my price range.
  • Kerri_is_so_very
    Kerri_is_so_very Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Go for a Toyota Highlander!! Love mine....have had it for 10 years and I'll buy another when I'm ready :)
  • bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    I'm a harly guy through and through.. having said that, I only drive Honda Cars, reliable, fuel effecient and they will run forever.

2006 Honda Pilot 107k miles
    2007 Honda Accord 4 Dr. 42 K miles
    2011 Honda Pilot for my teen daughter...
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Well I've had my Ford Focus for a little over 2 years now and I'm pretty happy with it so far. Gets good gas mileage (around 36mpg this time of year, down to about 32mpg in the winter IIRC), which for me is important since I have a 40+ mile commute each way. It came with six months free of Sirius but I was happy to let that go since I only liked a few channels and they got as boring as regular radio but if you're into all the techy stuff they offer quite a bit.

if you can afford it, I would recommend going with a Toyota because they last forever. My last car was a Corrolla and I had it for 13 years and put over 200.000 miles on it and the only problems I had were the AC going (my fault though, didn't get annual checks) and it started going through oil like crazy the last year or two (but that's typical with older cars).
  • _the_feniks_
    _the_feniks_ Posts: 3,443 Member
    Options
    2003 or newer Subaru Forester.
  • moran1917
    moran1917 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Harley.

lmao did i mention i live in Canada....I need a year round vehicle!!!!!
  • kddruckenmiller
    kddruckenmiller Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I'm getting a new car once I graduate college in May and I'm most likely going with a Honda since they're good little cars and have great gas mileage.

Good luck finding the perfect car for you! :)
  • sportyredhead01
    sportyredhead01 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I just got a Rav4 two weeks ago and absolutely love it.
    I had a 2000 Camry with a bazillion miles on it and wanted a small SUV good on gas (long work commute) with plenty of room future kids, groceries or whatever.

I really like how when I'm driving down the road now, I'm actually off the ground.
    It's a 4 cylinder but it has plenty of giddy-up.
    Oh! And the reason I got it, 4-wheel drive in case of snow.
  • rossi02
    rossi02 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I think you need a 2011 Mazda CX-7.. lucky you, I happen to be selling one! :laugh:

Because I'm wanting to get a MINI Cooper Countryman, or Clubman.
  • Mama_Jag
    Mama_Jag Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I just bought a 2012 Chevy Equinox, coming from a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee.

There is nothing I don't love about it. MPG is good, looks nice, pulls the camper, and backseat leg room for days. (My 14 year old is 6'2" and my 13 year old is almost 5'10", so I need the leg room!).

Good luck and have fun shopping!
  • jesusHchris
    jesusHchris Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    Harley.

lmao did i mention i live in Canada....I need a year round vehicle!!!!!

Haha, yeah I figured it wouldn't be too practical. Hard to find snow tires for those things. ;)
  • Schraudt814
    Schraudt814 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I am a Honda fan for sure! I had 2 CR-Vs, one of which was totalled by another driver- I walked away without a scratch! Not bad gas mileage for it's size, but also great value! I got back more than I paid for it from my insurance...I got another one that was recently flooded but again great car loved it while i had it. I don't like the redesign on the CR-V so I got an Accord Coupe and I am absolutely in love with it!
  • Birdie
    Birdie Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Call you insurance agency and ask them which types are cheaper to insure. There can be a huge difference from one make to another. The difference between my old car and my new one was $300/6mo. I wish I would have known to call!
  • ZombieChaser
    ZombieChaser Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    Well my old car was a honda accord and i liked it fine till that lady ran the red light and crashed into me and wrote it off. I was not even thinking new car. So I went to look the other day and realized I have no idea about cars. The dealer would say let me show you a toyota matrix and I was like a what now?

I use my car to get back and forth to work, groceries, take my dogs hiking in the bush, occasional out of town travel for work. I am also in the process of adoption so now I have to consider how a child will influence my choice of car too. Oh, but no mini-vans.

Thanks for that! You cannot go wrong with a Subaru! I loved my 2009 Impreza - but for you, I would say either the Outback or the Forester. They are by far the safest cars on the road, have all wheel drive, an amazing engine design (lower to the ground means that it handles like it's on rails), and good quality for mucking about with the dogs :)

Honourable mention goes to the Honda CR-V, and the Nissan Rogue (which is what I currently drive).