To weigh or not to weigh? that is the question

Options
Fitness pal recommends weekly weigh-ins. I weigh myself daily because I suppose I am impatient. When I lose weight, I feel happy and motivated to continue. But when the scale doesn't budge or I :sad: gain, (especially if I ate healthy the day before) I want to say "screw it" and eat some doughnuts for breakfast.

Advice?? Opinions?? (We all have one of those, you know:wink: )

Replies

• farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Like you I weigh daily, but report weekly.

With same results but I find no change for a day or so, then bam, lose 1/2 lb overnight, and it stays off so not just fluid, so i just carry on, just checking daily
  • pearlyyy92
    Options
    i dont weigh myself anymore, i just measure. in 3 weeks i've lost about 2 inches and i havent really lost any weight. i weight in at 144 on sunday, then 146 on tuesday. do it once a month i say!
  • Noahsmommy1
    Options
    I used to do this too at first but it became too depressing (especially when you see those little gains). By reading advise on these threads I realized that it is wayyyyyyyy better to weigh once a week as you are less likely to see those fluctuations due to water resistance, time of month, needing to use, etc). Also, try weighing 1st thing in the morning as you usually weigh less then...hope this helps...feel free to add me if you like.
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I used to weigh daily and log weekly. Then weighing daily turned into 3 times a day and I asked my husband to hide the scale. Now its once a week.
  • BlackKat75
    BlackKat75 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I'm a daily weigher because I want to keep track of the journey and remain accountable. (My view is avoiding the scale got me into this place, so it's better to become reacquainted with it.) That being said, I'm also tracking other measurements - waist / hips, etc., so I can see how my body is changing even if it's not shown in the number on the scale. I only recently started measuring myself and I really wish I had taken my measurements at the outset of my weight-loss journey.

However, if you are going to weigh more frequently, you have to recognize that there are going to be fluctuations up and down and NOT get discouraged and have donuts for breakfast :wink: I guess the big thing is come up with the approach that works for you.
  • dycheelizabeth
    Options
    I also weigh in daily and report weekly. As frustrating as it is sometimes, it really helps keep me on track on a day-to-day basis. Just remember that your weight can fluctuate daily so don't use these weigh-ins as a confidence booster (or bubble buster) as much as just a tool to understand the effects of what you eat (too much sodium, carbs, or not enough water for example). Many people will tell you that weighing yourself daily is not a good idea...but it works for me!
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Fitness pal recommends weekly weigh-ins. I weigh myself daily because I suppose I am impatient. When I lose weight, I feel happy and motivated to continue. But when the scale doesn't budge or I :sad: gain, (especially if I ate healthy the day before) I want to say "screw it" and eat some doughnuts for breakfast.

Advice?? Opinions?? (We all have one of those, you know:wink: )

I often forget to weigh I am very busy so its the last thing I think about lol
  • jeleclekat
    jeleclekat Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    This past week, I started off great losing, then two days straight i gained a bit. I looked back in the food diary, and saw I had a day with a lot of sodium two days before my gain. By end of the week, I lost it , plus a little bit more for a good loss for my first week. Check your sodium a day or so before your gain, see it it was higher than usual....
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    For me daily weigh-ins have a negative impact on me. It's too much focus on the number on the scale when I'd rather focus on how do the clothes feel, measurements and inches, strength gains and exercise goals and good health. I don't need the scale to dictate to me how I should feel about myself. This way I feel more connected with my body and how I feel. It's all about being honest with yourself about how much you eat and how much effort you're putting into your workouts. The mind/ body connection. Now I weigh myself once every 6 weeks. I'm much happier this way:smile:
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    If it effects you that negatively, do not weigh daily.

I'm the same way, if it doesnt budge... I want to say screw it and eat a lot of junk.

I think once every 1-2 weeks is reasonable. Once I waited a whole month to weigh in, and I lost the most that month. I was happy to step on the scale after a month of not weighing.
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    There will always be variables in your day to day weigh ins caused for all manner reasons such as indigested (or still digesting) food mass, water retention, hormonal influences, muscle repair.

If the change in the scales is going to upset you or cause you to come off the wagon then I would recommend that you don't weigh in very often, once a week to a fortnight. As time goes on, you will 'feel' thinner and you will also be aware of days when you feel 'lighter' or happier to set foot on the scales. I pick those days to weigh in and only around every two weeks to a month - my clothes are the biggest tellers on what's going on for me now.

The NSV's such as falling out of your wardrobe and having to buy new, declining cake in the office (because you genuinely don't want it) and being able to eyeball the 'correct' pasta portion when at restaurants and watching your fitness progress to levels never before achieved are the things that motivated ten-fold in comparison to the scales. x