Advice on food/calories/carbs/protein

Options
Bare with me as this is like my life story!!

Ok, so I need some advice! I will open my diary for this.

I lost a fair amount of weight on WW and joined MFP to keep an eye on what I'm eating and my exercise etc,

I stopped smoking and I currently run 3-4 times a week, I want to run 6 days a week as I want to start entering more races etc so want to train harder and more.

Now my diet... Is it really that bad? I am 5'3" and currently weigh 103lbs, I do not want to lose anymore weight but recently I am just not able to run far or hard and figured I am not eating the right foods?

What should I be eating and how many calories should I be taking in?

All stupid questions but the only thing I know is how to lose weight on a low fat diet, which I don't want to do anymore.

I want to have energy and be fit and at the moment I really don't have much energy.

Replies

• lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    More fat and protein and fewer carbs! This will make you feel more satisfied, boost your mood, help your muscles recover etc. Figure out your TDEE and try and at least hit that. If you are running a lot, you need a lot of calories to maintain. If you don't eat enough, your body will break down your muscles, and try to get you to stop burning all its fuel by making you feel tired...
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Find out how many calories you need to eat to maintain weight and eat at that level. I suspect it's higher than your current intake. I would increase protein with these extra calories but I wouldn't decrease carbs. If you're having energy issues the last thing you want to do is reduce carb intake.
  • NoCoolUsername
    NoCoolUsername Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I need to up my calories, maybe a protein shake will be my best bet
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I would say that if you want to have the fuel to up your running you would definitely need to increase your intake! Your calories are really really low. You need to have the food in your body so that it has something to burn! I didn't scrutinize your meals but I did see that maybe one way to start would be adding more fruits and healthy snacks to your day. It looks like you only eat three meals. If you like that, than maybe just add more to each meal. Fruit on the side, fruit in your cereal or oatmeal, peanut butter on an apple, serving of almonds. I would also recommend adding a lot more water. I don't know how diligent you are with tracking your water intake but that's also pretty low. Good luck to you! I hope you get a ton of othe great suggestions. I absolutely think you need to eat more though.
  • NoCoolUsername
    NoCoolUsername Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your reply, I know I really need to up my calories but I have no idea what foods to use?

I'm not keen on fruit however I do eat and love my veg!

I do have a lot of water but I do forget to add it most days.
  • zechks
    zechks Posts: 224
    Options
    Thank you for your reply, I know I really need to up my calories but I have no idea what foods to use?

I'm not keen on fruit however I do eat and love my veg!

I do have a lot of water but I do forget to add it most days.

Eat the same foods you eat only in bigger quantities, and throw in some peanut butter or raw almonds, some protein shakes, cottage cheese, lean meats, whole grains, beans.. Something like that. ;)
  • SherryRueter
    SherryRueter Posts: 2,947 Member
    Options
    As Jillian Michaels would say - Eat foods that either have a mom, or come from the ground. If it meets either of those criteria you can add it. For example Milk yes, Oreos no, Strawberries Yes, Strawberry fruit snacks No, Tomatoes Yes, Tomatoe Ketchup no.

Another helpful tool is Michi's ladder - Page 5 of this link(I just googled it) : http://home.hiwaay.net/~galaxy/P90X/Beachbody Diet Guide.pdf
    Teirs 1 and 2 would be your best bet for ideas on what you may want to add. What I like about it is that I can print it off and highlight the items I like.

It may be time you thought about getting a FitBit or something that would tell you how many calories you are burning in a day then you can log your calories and make sure that you are eating what you burn. I had a bodybugg and used it for that purpose - it was very insightful into how much I need to maintain because,like you, I don't need to lose any more weight (I'm 5'0 and 99#). Great Job on losing the weight!!! HUGE accomplishment!!!
  • SherryRueter
    SherryRueter Posts: 2,947 Member
    Options
    Oh, and the Protein shake idea is good.

If you add a shake, perhaps look for one that has a mixture of Carbs and proteins (a 4 to 1 ratio) to take it immediately after your running. I say this because then you can use it as a recovery drink to provide the nutrients lost during your run. This should help with your body recovering from your running, as well as providing extra nutrients and calories overall.
  • Michelle81285
    Options
    You are training that hard and working out a lot... you need to up your calories with "Clean foods". Oxygen Magazine and Eat Clean are two of the best sources for great foods to be eating!
  • peter236uk
    peter236uk Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I would try and have more meals over a longer period perhaps 5 a day depending when you train.

My daughter who is in the army and runs 10k and half marathons will run around 8 miles or fast walk with kit. She is doing this about 5/6 times a week.

Start when she gets up has protein shake

on return from exercise porridge and some fruit or eggs and toast

Lunch fish or something she likes salmon or turkey with salad and perhaps some pasta

Afternoon possibly a shake and some fruit

Dinner
    example chicken veg and pots normal meal

You need carbs if you are doing alot of running or you will not maintain your energy levels
  • dragonflyjen
    dragonflyjen Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Hey just wanted to add my wee bit for what it's worth.

By the looks of your diary you are still eating like someone who is trying to lose weight. I know it will be hard to think differently after watching your calorie intake for so long, but it seems you are making a switch in your mindset from 'losing weight' mode to 'fuelling my workouts' mode which is good. There is a tonne of information online on what to eat before and after your runs so maybe do a bit of research. But don't be scared to eat more of the foods that you would previously have avoided when you were dieting, and eat like the healthy person you want to be.

Work out your TDEE, and gradually increase your calories up to that. But, from experience, I want to warn you that you will probably put on a few lbs in the first few weeks which is totally normal. It will come back down once your body realises that you are going to constantly feed it the calories it needs, and knows that it doesn't need to hang onto it in case you cut your calories again.

I'm very jealous that you having a live in running buddy...I need to get myself one of those lol :)