McDonalds New Item:

Options

Replies

• WestCoastPhoenix
    WestCoastPhoenix Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Required to do this in many states already including my state of California. McD's can tinker with the menu all they want but the majority of the items are bad for you. Even when they deceptively tell you its lower in calories the item still contains a heavy amount of sodium.

McDonald's. I'm hatin' it.

Saying any food is 'bad for you' is nonsense, unless it's poisoned. Just about any food can be fit into your day, if you do it right.
  • AddictedtoAerosmith
    Options
    McDonald's is some nasty Shizzle Nits of a choice to eat...

McDonald's actually tastes better when throwing it up...just sayin'....
  • waterdice89
    Options
    It has already been shown that by posting the calorie count on the front packages or cans of soda ect makes a huge difference in how people make their choices. I went through McDonalds last week and saw this adjustment to the menu and was very excited. I don't eat fast food too often but when I do it can be very hard figuring out what is the best choice .This helped me make a decision based on information, not my appetite. I think it will help people who care. But yes there are plenty of people who don't and this wont even phase them. But for the people who do care (US!!!!!) it will help, if we find ourselves in the situation where we choose fast food.
  • semeyer
    semeyer Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I'm happy I was never a fan of the Big Mac. Whats with that weird extra bun in the middle? I'd rather hit the QPC :love:
  • semeyer
    semeyer Posts: 282 Member
    Options

That's funny you say that, because it DOES taste the same when coming back up. For some reason I crave MCDs when I'm sick/hungover and it NEVER stays down haha
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    I've eaten mcdonalds in USA, Canada, Austria, London, Australia
    It was all glorious

Lucky!!! Jealous.
  • ItzPSGina62
    ItzPSGina62 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Every single restaurant should have to do this, no matter the size.

YES!
  • meeka472
    meeka472 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Required to do this in many states already including my state of California. McD's can tinker with the menu all they want but the majority of the items are bad for you. Even when they deceptively tell you its lower in calories the item still contains a heavy amount of sodium.

McDonald's. I'm hatin' it.

The sodium is why I avoid food from these chain restaurants. Even if I can find something on the menu that is lower calorie the sodium content is alway through the roof.
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options

Ickkkk.... and not true. Even Schlosser agrees McDonald's has the cleanest beef in the U.S. Excel/Cargill, Tyson and ConAgra can't even come close to McDonald's standards and regulations, let alone the USDA.
  • EricNCSU
    EricNCSU Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I love the "We want to voluntarily do this" when they have been actively resisting it for 10 years....... hahahahahaha....
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    It makes a difference to me, and i think that's justification enough as far as I'm concerned. I think people need to realize that this is just the first, small step in making informed choices about what we eat. We obviously can't do that if we're not informed. It's not meant to be our Nation's comprehensive answer to obesity.

Having nutrition information easily available to me as I'm ordering helps, just like logging my food helps. i still need to know how much I should be eating in a day, but logging is part of the process for me.
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    I so wish that every restaurant/eatery listed the nutritional information - including serving size - on all menus!

Same here. It would make it MUCH easier to pick and choose things when going out to eat. Instead of just saying **** it or sticking to a salad.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    i aint afraid of no 920cal lunch! bring it mcds!
  • rachelbethany
    rachelbethany Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I actually think this WOULD make a difference for me. I used to get McDonald's salads all the time during my 12-hour work shift with no break for lunch (I was a nanny and always in a huge hurry). If you don't use the dressing, get grilled chicken, and remove the cheese, it's not that bad.

I don't go to McDonald's that often, but my bf loves fast food (and he's naturally SKELETAL-- 6'1" and only weighs about 140, eats everything he wants), so I go with him often and end up getting something. There are healthIER options at every fast food place, or at least low-calorie options, and not having to look those up on my slow phone would be nice.
  • mcjabber
    mcjabber Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I was just in Nicaragua, and they already have the cals posted on the big lit up menu there. Which is funny, since culturally they don't really seem to care one bit about the content of their food. Then again, everything is pretty much organic and local, even if it is served fried.

I try to hit up a McDonalds every time I travel--my dad calls it the 'American Embassy' :laugh: It's fun to see how they add menu items depending on local culture and cuisine. That's actually pretty much the only times I have McDonalds, and frankly, the food is ALWAYS higher quality than American McDs. Dude--the McKabob I had at an Israeli McDonalds is seriously one of the best meals I've ever eaten in my life (made with quality, fresh ingredients). And at that one, I flirted my way into a cheaper price than my brother who got a less expensive meal! HA!
  • chunkydunk714
    chunkydunk714 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I so wish that every restaurant/eatery listed the nutritional information - including serving size - on all menus!

My opinion; it helps. Only because when I am out on the run and do grab something fast I can rely more on what the menu and calorie counts will tell me than my own uneducated estimate. Also, I'm more likely to dine somewhere that has the calorie information available on their menu items than somewhere that doesn't.

Hope that makes sense.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options

It's too expensive for a small mom & pop kind of place.

Take some responsibility for yourself. You know what the nutrition info is when you cook at home and if you happen to go out to a restaurant, either A) use your brain to figure out the healthiest option or B) splurge and enjoy yourself.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options

It's too expensive. That would put smaller restaurants out of business.

And the government should not force these stupid restrictions on businesses. If you don't want the food because you don't know how many calories are in it, just don't eat there.

I'd think people not eating at a resturaunt because they don't know the calories will cost just as much as relaminating menus after including nutrition information or changing signs..Mcdonalds is the only place in my town that actually has nutrition values either online or in the store...if I didn't eat places that dont openly offer that info, no resturant in town would have my business.

the cost has nothing to do with making new menus.

and there's no reason you can't approximate the calories in a meal by simply looking at it and doing a little inputting.
  • cubizzle
    cubizzle Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    i aint afraid of no 920cal lunch! bring it mcds!

muthafukin WERD!!!! \m/
  • apocalypsepwnie
    Options
    Certainly doesn't make a difference in Aus and the details have been on the packs for years INCLUDING a general % of what this is in your daily intake. People have always known it's not an everyday food but just don't care.
    Pretty much every chain here has the details up and it hasn't ever made a difference in their queues.

There was a show earlier in the year where 10 people were picked to follow each maccas main menu ingredient from the farm to the table to show that they make things from real food here. So people actually think that it's the same food they make at home so it's ok.
    I believe australia has some of the highest food treatment standards in the world so people can be scared off by things they hear from overseas so it makes them go into HOLY CRUD mode and start advertising.
    For example no chain restaurant over here uses pink slime. Not allowed to. I can't say for cheaper supermarket alternatives, particularly ones made overseas. We also don't use those horrid chemicals like ammonia to bacteria treat our meat.

I can say that McDonald's here in the last 10 years tastes VERY different from when it first came out about 25 years ago and everything was in Styrofoam packets and they used powdered eggs.