Protein Question

Options
I have been reading quite a bit about cutting fat while trying to maintain my lean muscle as much as possible. I am currently working out 5 days a week with 3 of those doing heavy lifting (stronglift 5x5). I keep reading that one should be eating protein 1g / every lb of lean mass.

Currently I weight in at 207 and my goal weight is around 190 - 195. How much protein should I be taking in every day? Any help would be appreciated.

Replies

• Goaskyourmother
    Goaskyourmother Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I thought it was a gram of protein for every pound that you weigh. This is what I am trying to eat and I am struggling.
  • mccabe_cj
    mccabe_cj Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Yea that is what I was wondering if its supposed to be 1g for every lb you weigh. If so that will be over double what I have been currently consuming. Also, what would be the best ideas to get that much protein. I already eat Greek Yogurt and have lean protein like chicken almost every day.
  • phaniekins
    phaniekins Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It actually should be 0.8 - 1.0 g per kilogram of body weight. To get your body weight in kilograms divide the number by 2.2. So if you are 207 pounds that would equal 94kg, you should be eating about 95-100 g. I like to round up! Hope this helps!
  • michellematteson
    Options
    It's a gram of protein per pound of LEAN body mass. So you will need to know your body fat percentage to figure it out. So, for example, if you have 30% body fat and weight 200 pounds, that is 140 grams of protein. Greek yogurt is good, but you can also go to chicken, turkey breast and salmon for more protein.
  • Goaskyourmother
    Goaskyourmother Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    It actually should be 0.8 - 1.0 g per kilogram of body weight. To get your body weight in kilograms divide the number by 2.2. So if you are 207 pounds that would equal 94kg, you should be eating about 95-100 g. I like to round up! Hope this helps!

Phew! I can relax now :)
  • newmein2013
    newmein2013 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    According to the U.S. Institute of Medicine it's 0.8 grams per kilogram of body weight. However, if you're working out, you shoould aim for 1.6 grams per kilogram of body weight. Or you can just calculate 30% of your total daily calories and divide that number by 4 (cals in protein). This will give you a slightly lower number than the 1.6 grams so it may be more attainable for you. It's really not that difficult once you find the right foods. I use Eas 100% Whey Protein after every workout. I add one tablespoon of peanut butter, a banana, 6 ounces plain greek yogurt, 1/4 cup quick oats and one teaspoon natural fiber (psyllium husk). That's 50 grams of protein right there! Some foods off the top of my head that are high in protein are beans, sardines, chicken, fish, tuna, tofu, eggs, lowfat cheese, cottage cheese, greek yogurt. There are so many threads on here offering high protein foods. Do a search using "protein" as the keyword. Best of uck to you.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Personally when doing a high protein, low carb and moderate fat diet I'l do 1.5g/lb protein, close to zero carb as possible and 0.5g/lb of fat. Works out a very efficient cutting diet.
  • mccabe_cj
    mccabe_cj Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Okay thank you all for the good information. I think if I just get a protein powder mix for after my workouts it should get me to the range where I need to be at.

Thanks
  • methodless
    Options
    I do about 1g per pound of body weight when working out
    You don't necessarily need protein powder, I only use it on days when I'm not hungry.

I eat a lot of chicken (specifically breast meat) and sometimes will have tuna as well,

Beef is good too, but I do find it fills me up faster with less protein than chicken will (I still get pretty close to the 1g per lb though)