exercising when you are sick

Options
woke up this morning totally congested in my head and chest - we are going to be away for a few days next week and i was planning to really hit the work outs hard over the next three days there won't be much opporutnity when i am away. totally bummed. but now i am wondering if i should push it when i am already feeling sick. thoughts?

Replies

• kellygirl5538
    kellygirl5538 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    You might want to wait until later in the day. I was sick earlier this week and I felt better latter in the day.
  • Emilydmo
    Emilydmo Posts: 101
    Options
    I saw a study published about how mild exercise can not only ease the symptoms of the cold or flu, but can also reduce the length of time that you are sick. The study was done in rats, but it probably holds true for humans as well. I'd think walking, mild swimming, biking etc would be ok! :) It'll give your immune system a boost!
  • slieber
    slieber Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    I must beg to differ but all bodies are different. When I exercise even mildly when ill, I end up sicker than when I started. That said, this time, I couldn't miss my only ballet classes before the break so went, just took it easy, and took extra precautions just in case - extra immunity-boosting vitamins, etc.

I'm fine now. But I'm still taking it easy in terms of making sure I get enough sleep and eat healthy, immune-boosting foods (like a really good, killer chicken soup made from scratch!).
  • OddSquid
    OddSquid Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I'd have to disagree as well. Experiments on rats are one thing, humans are another and until/unless the same studies are performed on humans, I'd caution against pushing oneself when sick. The body needs all the energy and nutrients it can get to fight off the sickness, and exercising divides the body's efforts into two places: recovery from illness and recovery from exercise.

Besides, during illness, I know I for one am not in the right mindset to work out effectively. I'm all whiny and pathetic and just want to go back to bed, my skin hurts, I'm tired, etc. Any workout I attempt would only be at half or less motivation, which means I do myself no effective good. :smile:
  • scarecrow41
    Options
    As long as the congestion/illness is above the chest you will benefit from excercise. If the illness is in your lungs, digestive track, etc. excercise can damage your body further.