cycling my way to get fit

Options

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I recently started riding regularly, in the last month and I love it. So much faster than running, easier on my knees, the scenery changes and my only complaint is the bumps! My rear is finally starting to toughen up after riding 3-4 times a week for the last few weeks. I need a new seat or a pad.

Any tips on buying a seat? I see the thick cushioned seats but they are wide, should I stick with the narrow seat for easier leg movement and pedaling? i always thought those wide seats were more for the grandma riding to the store.

I'd suggest the padded shorts, and a seat proper for your sit bones.

If you can still find carbon paper, on a hard flat chair with paper underneath the carbon, probably some on top too. Sit on that thing and when you feel your sit-bones hitting the chair (may have to raise legs slightly), really try to get that feeling you are helping to make an impression, pushing them into the chair.

Now you have the general width of your sit-bones, measure from strongest contact point to the other. You want a seat that allows them to rest in the side-middle of the seat (middle if you look at just half the seat), near the back.

Cut-out seats work for many, slight dip in the middle if yours needs to be really wide.

Squishy saddle padding is commented by many that whatever padding is not exactly where it needs to be - will eventually squish up into areas you definitely don't want it to be. It can make some areas much worse.

Whereas short's padding usually is built that way, cut-outs where not needed.

The bumps are also better if you are NOT sitting straight up-right with more weight over the rear, stretched forward balancing is better for that. Sometimes instance adjustment like that helps if you see it coming.

Bumps are better if pedaling hard enough, because even though idea is to spin fast to engage more muscle at lighter level more frequently, fact is you are still in general pushing up/back, which lightens the load on rear too.

If bumps are on trail, need to gear down so pedaling harder and absorbing shock in the legs, even on the road over expansion joints - you'll get good at it. Slight lift onto the legs at precisely the right moment, not even lifting out of the saddle, just un-weighting it.
  • plafleur76
    plafleur76 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips heybales, I have tried taking the weight off my rear like you describe, didn't know I had actually stumbled upon the secret. THough I admit it is a bit tough to do, guess I need to build some more leg strength.
  • brocksmom
    brocksmom Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I just signed up to do the Long Beach bike tour (marathon) 26.2 miles on Oct. 7 it will be my first.:smile:

Karen
  • Rodap9631
    Rodap9631 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    good on you izzy the cycling will definitely help. I found i did a bit too much at first and tired myself of it a little early so now i just ride occasionally. Until I feel like I need it on a regular basis again.
  • Rodap9631
    Rodap9631 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    get some good nix or bib nix like advised generally the more expensive the better. If your new to riding and dont like having the exposure lycra gives you wear a pair of shorts over them. Your backside will toughen up, also you can do more riding out of the saddle, ie standing while pedalling. It uses more energy but hey it becomes a bettter workout and you burn a heap more calories.
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    I recently started riding regularly, in the last month and I love it. So much faster than running, easier on my knees, the scenery changes and my only complaint is the bumps! My rear is finally starting to toughen up after riding 3-4 times a week for the last few weeks. I need a new seat or a pad.

Any tips on buying a seat? I see the thick cushioned seats but they are wide, should I stick with the narrow seat for easier leg movement and pedaling? i always thought those wide seats were more for the grandma riding to the store.

I have gel seats for my bike as well as my stationary bike. Bought them here
    http://www.bicycleseats.org/bicycle-seat-pads.htm They have fast shipping and stand by their products. It sticks to your current seat and has a draw string to tighten it and hold it in place.
  • blackcoffeeandcherrypie
    Options
    I love cycling! I can give advice if you need tips on maintenance and repair of your bike so feel free to add me.

They still make bikes with three gears, my Raleigh has a Sturmey Archer hub, which means it has three gears. More reliable to use than a rear derailleur and you can change gears whilst stationary at the lights lol. Little bit harder to get up the hills though!
  • tcalamity
    tcalamity Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Im a novice cyclist.:smile:
    My partner has been riding 4 odd years and has tried to get me to go but I was always a runner however I took it up 46 days ago after my Doctor told me not to run anymore because of my back. I had a very cheap bike at the start which I fought all the way but now have a beautiful Giant Anthem thanks to my partner who is a seasoned mountain biker. It has made a difference to my riding, and I feel more confident, even though I came off last week on single track.

I do mainly single track/mountain biking and in the past 46 days I have done 35 hours of cycling. I have to say I love it, :heart: even the horrid hills I climb on my bike every week, but it hasnt taken long for my fitness to improve.

Feel free to add me.
  • roycruse73
    roycruse73 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I love cycling... Its a zero impact cardio that burns up shovel loads of calories and is great fun too.

I mountain bike rather than use a road bike (even on the road as owning two quality bikes is a rather large expense) I definitely prefer going off the beaten trail as I find watching the miles tick away on tarmac a bit boring. I used to cycle to work and now I'm here on MFP I'm starting again (first time today in ages)

Get yourself a Garmin Edge 500 cycle computer with Heart Rate Monitor, it will tell you exactly how many calories you burn each ride and you can upload all your rides to Garmin Connect and Track your progress and see with graphs and reports how your fitness is improving. I have a little 9 mile off road cycle trail near my house and using the Garmin you can race yourself against one of your previous times... Its fantastic.

You can see my Garmin profile here http://connect.garmin.com/profile/roycruse73

When buying a mountain bike here's a tip - unless you have a larger budget stay away from full suspension bikes. The cheap shocks (springs) that they fit are useless for clocking up some miles. They just spring up and down with little or no dampening and absorb all your effort as you pedal and add a ton of needless weight to the bike. Unless you can afford a quality air shock with a lockout and / or pedalling setting that stiffens it up your better off sticking to a hard tail bike with only front fork suspension.

On a mountain bike 12-14 miles per hour is a fairly fast pace to average - but dont get too hung up on how fast your going - get the heart rate monitor and keep your heart rate in your aerobic zone and youll be getting a great workout.
  • SteveCro
    SteveCro Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Love cycling and lost 25 lbs by eating better choices and riding. Usually ride 20 to 30 miles in an evening. Longest ride so far this year is 73.6. Any cycling friends feel free to add me.

Steve
  • _Terry_
    Options
    HI, I think you have made a good choice to take up cycling. I became a mature student last year and took to cycling twenty five miles a day. I have found it to be a convenient form of exercise as it slots easily into my busy schedule; it's good for the planet; and
    I have definitely seen results in inches and weight loss!
    Yesterday I cycled through one of London's parks, alongside a canal, which was both stress relieving and quicker than london transport.

I hope you have fun whilst doing it - good luck!
  • borobelly
    Options
    i have just got a bike through the 'cycle to work' system, and I do cycle to work approx 12 mile round trip, hate the south westerly wind, when it gets to 16/17 mph it a killer. as they say no pain no gain(loss)
  • izzyl75
    Options
    today i did just over 8 miles in under an hour! :blushing: this is a vast improvement from a couple of weeks ago and i can feel how much fitter i am becoming but it is embarassing when you are being overtaken by others on bikes!
    but i will persevere and one of these days i will be the one who overtakes someone else who is just starting out - i cannot wait for that day cos i know that inside i will be smiling to myself! :wink:
  • LordBear
    LordBear Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    i really would like to cycle..but finding a bike that would support me is inprobable and then paying for it is impossible..lol.. tried sitting a bike a couple of times though ..think i still got to much below to do it... cant see how they do it on the shows with other large people.
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,682 Member
    Options
    i really would like to cycle..but finding a bike that would support me is inprobable and then paying for it is impossible..lol.. tried sitting a bike a couple of times though ..think i still got to much below to do it... cant see how they do it on the shows with other large people.

well - I started off at 397lb, and didn't break too many frames :laugh: Seriously - a good quality make MTB with a well built set of wheels can cope with most bigger lads and lasses - now the £50 bike-shaped-objects that the supermarkets and car accessories stores sell, well - I reckon I could pretty much trash one in a ride, even now!
  • izzyl75
    Options
    well the bike i bought wasn't very expensive. I didn't see the point on spending a lot of money on something i didn't know if i would continue with. try a second hand one. bikes are sturdier than you think, it's just getting used to the seat that was my main problem.(and you can get gel seats) don't give up on the idea of getting a bike. if the weather is beginning to turn with you plan for the spring :smile:
  • brocksmom
    brocksmom Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I was very happy I was able to get out and ride today:smile: 16 miles.

Karen
  • Stinkeymonkey
    Stinkeymonkey Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Gateway drug...love it!

I ride about 120 a week. Sent you a request.
  • calamity71
    calamity71 Posts: 207 Member
    Options

I am hoping this link works for you....Please read. It is an inspiring story and you can get a bike built for a larger person.

http://www.bicycling.com/training-nutrition/nutrition-weight-loss/i-lost-320-pounds-riding-bike?page=0,4
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

I am hoping this link works for you....Please read. It is an inspiring story and you can get a bike built for a larger person.

http://www.bicycling.com/training-nutrition/nutrition-weight-loss/i-lost-320-pounds-riding-bike?page=0,4

Sadly, getting a bike built is so far removed from the comment "and then paying for it is impossible".

Custom built is expensive.