Wrist Problems and Weights

Options
I have carpal unlo impingement. I have had 1 cortisone shot already for it. Unfortuantely, I have had an "adverse reaction" to the cortisone. 48 hours of screaming pain. I'd rather give birth again. :) Nest up will me surgery. But that has to more than likely wait until next year. Right now it's pain management with ice, ibuprofen and a brace. Vaccumming hurts. Wiping down things hurt.

My questions was, because of this, I have not been able to use my free weights. Push ups(all kinds) are out of the question. What can I do for an upper body workout? I asked my hand surgeon and he just suggested that any type of lifting that hurts the wrist should be few and far between. Any suggestions?

Replies

• feydruss
    feydruss Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I'd love to hear the answer to this. I have de Quervain's syndrome from carrying my toddler twins, and it's making lifting very difficult these days!
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Not gonna be able to do much if you can't hold any weights. Have you tried wrapping your wrists - does that help? I use these:

http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?m=PD&cid=300&pid=3017

You only need the normal, 60cm ones. Watch the video, you basically wrap your wrists and immobilize them. I hurt my right wrist bench pressing and it takes away all of the pain. I take it off between each set though because if you do it really tight, it WILL cut off blood flow. Not a big deal to re-attach each set though.

Having said that, refer to your doctor. It sounds like doing basic things hurts your wrists, I doubt carrying heavy weights is gonna feel too great.
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Maybe try resistance bands exercises.
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Maybe try resistance bands exercises.

^this.

I have RA damage to both my wrists, cant do weights either, but was told to try the resistence bands, they do seem to not hurt quite as bad as weights.