Tears...Women, Oh My : A Rant About Co-Workers

Options

Replies

• Because all women do this and no man has ever done anything like this at all. Mhm.
    Right.

Genderalizing is always so much fun.
  • DJTJ34
    Options
    wouldnt have moved the deadline because of tears..........The DD's, maybe!!!!
  • sydnisd183
    sydnisd183 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    i've never seen women cry at work for manipulative reasons. i've been in the workforce for about 25 years (military and regular jobs)

i have seen women break down in the bathroom due to arguing with spouses on the phone and stuff like that....also have seen women cry due to pain...myself included. i was downstairs on my lunch hour feeding the feral cats. bent down putting food in the bowls, stood up and turned around at the same time............BANG......ran my forehead right into a metal pole. i walked upstairs and sat down at my desk, about 5 minutes later the pain just whoooshed to my head all of a sudden and i burst into tears. the 3 male technicians i work with shuffled about nervously and i had to explain i hit my head....ugh how embarassing :embarassed:
  • SVCat
    SVCat Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    I'm feeling attacked right now...can someone just hold me right now....please.
  • natty_34
    Options

Only if you are crying.... :)
  • DJTJ34
    Options

you dont have DD'S so get back to work!!!!! lol
  • Chagama
    Chagama Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    In my experience, some women handle it well and don't let it interfere with business, and that's not a problem. With others, the crying stops everyone from doing their job.

For example, I worked with a woman who would excuse herself from a meeting, go to the restroom (I assume) until she was composed and ready to resume. But, I also had a situation where a woman was bawling in the middle of a group discussion to discuss various approaches, insisted she was fine and didn't need to leave, and the entire discussion became useless as everyone was afraid to say anything that would make things worse. Communication shut down and we had to schedule another meeting for the same purpose. That's problematic.

In this case, it sounds like the woman was crying because she was told to do her job and meet a deadline she committed to. That's completely unprofessional. If she's upset that she needs to stay late, then she needs to accept the responsibility that it's because she didn't complete her work, and go off by herself to get composed and come back ready to work.
  • melbot24
    melbot24 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Hey, I totally love generalizations about the female gender with heavy misogynistic undertones.
  • melbot24
    melbot24 Posts: 347 Member
    Options

Stop manipulating us into feeling sorry for you.
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options
    I only have one thing to say to this....

:sad: :cry: :sad: :cry: :sad: :cry: :sad: :cry: :sad: :cry:
  • HollywoodDJ
    Options
    I call it "Hysterical Manipulation" when someone acts completely insane or crazy...but even the crying....It's all manipulation and I am NO FAN of the Bull$#@%!!!!
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Most women don't "use" tears. Tears just happen. It's part of the biology of a woman. In fact, most women get frustrated when they start to cry, because they know men are a**holes who will act just as you do.

WHOA! How did I become an Ahole? Oh wait, because I'm in the general vicinity of the tears, I become the A-hole in this scenario right?

No, because you said "if I smell blood..." "tears be damned" and you assumed the woman is crying to get her own way.

That makes you a jerk. Think about someone else besides yourself.

She cried because she wasn't able to meet a deadline that I've asked if she could meet...and I've asked on more than one occassion. She's used tears in the past to manipulate others...namely those that will fall for her fake DD's and her little sniffles. She cried because I won't let her off the hook and now she has to stay late to meet her deadline.

Ya'll are jumping to conclusions...step off bishes.

We must work for the same company! LOL We have a few of those in our office. It's freakin' lame. They are the employees who can never meet a deadline, turn paperwork on time....hell I'd be surprised if they had a couple of brain cells to rub together and create a spark.

Btw, in case anyone is wondering - I am a woman. I hate that crying crap. It's annoying. Ususally the ones who do it are trying to make you come off as a meanie head. Shame on you for making her meet a deadline. How dare you! LOL
  • surromom2010
    surromom2010 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Most women don't "use" tears. Tears just happen. It's part of the biology of a woman. In fact, most women get frustrated when they start to cry, because they know men are a**holes who will act just as you do.

WHOA! How did I become an Ahole? Oh wait, because I'm in the general vicinity of the tears, I become the A-hole in this scenario right?

No, because you said "if I smell blood..." "tears be damned" and you assumed the woman is crying to get her own way.

That makes you a jerk. Think about someone else besides yourself.

She cried because she wasn't able to meet a deadline that I've asked if she could meet...and I've asked on more than one occassion. She's used tears in the past to manipulate others...namely those that will fall for her fake DD's and her little sniffles. She cried because I won't let her off the hook and now she has to stay late to meet her deadline.

Ya'll are jumping to conclusions...step off bishes.

That last bit of info would need to be included in the beginning for people to not assume you're a chode. Next time be more specific and most women will agree with you.
  • chocolateandpb
    chocolateandpb Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I've cried at work a couple of times, but only out of sheer frustration. Pretty much the only reason I ever cry is out of frustration. Or those ASPCA commercials. Actually I can't even watch those, I just change the channel as quickly as possible.

I think it's completely unprofessional to cry at work, but those couple of times I did, I really could not help myself. It wasn't to try to get my way, or in front of a boss or anything (one time was in front of two female coworkers and it was totally embarrassing but they were nice about it). But women or anyone who tries to use tears as a way of manipulation? SO not cool.
  • SVCat
    SVCat Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options

Stop manipulating us into feeling sorry for you.

Dammit Jim! Now I'm thinking of Steven Tyler when on American Idol he said, "Well hellfire, save matches, fu(k a duck, and see what hatches."

I got no clue why I'm thinking of ducks. No idea.
  • aftergypsies
    aftergypsies Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I totally cry when I'm stressed out.

However, sounds like this girl was trying to make you pity her. Unless she tells you some legit reason for her not making her deadline, you definitely shouldn't let her off the hook and she shouldn't expect you to. I will give you the benefit of the doubt that you're not an ahole. Lol.
  • missprincessgina
    missprincessgina Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Yeah, tears suck. I'd tell them to go suck it and walk out if I don't want to do something. Thats why I work for myself!!
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I've cried at work a couple of times, but only out of sheer frustration. Pretty much the only reason I ever cry is out of frustration. Or those ASPCA commercials. Actually I can't even watch those, I just change the channel as quickly as possible.

I am so happy to hear that I am not the only one in tears over the ASPCA commercials!
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    i was downstairs on my lunch hour feeding the feral cats.

Thank You!

Crazy Cat Lady here...
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I cry when I'm angry more than I cry when I'm sad. I will cry over physical pain, but that's because I'm angry that it hurts. It's embarrassing and I hate it.

But given the choice between shedding a few tears of frustration or being like my brothers who used to punch walls and kick cars and stuff... crying has never lead to a trip to the emergency room with a broken bone.