healthy breakfast for kids

Options
mjj79
mjj79 Posts: 415 Member
ANyone have some fun and healthy breakfast ideas for kids. (NUt -free. THey're all allergic:( My oldest has a bit of a gut and obesity runs in my family. He only recently started being able to eat eggs (due to an allaergy) but I know he won't eat them every day. I want to stay away from all the processed, sugary stuff (that they love) at least 90 % of the time.

thanks

Replies

• amez1974
    amez1974 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Things I make for my kids:

Chocolate oatmeal
    eggs over easy
    Egg and cheese on English Muffins (sometimes sausage too)
    Homemade Chocolate chip or blueberry pancakes--this can be tweaked, sometimes I make it with oat flour, whole wheat flour, almond flour, flax seed, wheat germ--whatever I have in the house. I know you said they have allergies to nuts-just trying to show you how versatile it can be.
    Cheese Omelets (none of them like veggies in them)
  • mjj79
    mjj79 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    THanks! I was thinking maybe fruit/yogurt smoothies with whole wheat toast too. Or yogurt parfait layered with whole grain cereal :)
  • GCLyds
    GCLyds Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    A diced up fruit of their choice, with some yogurt, and a handful of granola. It works with any fruit.
  • GCLyds
    GCLyds Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    English muffin pizzas made with a whole grain english muffin, some tomato sauce and a sprinkle of cheese. I love pizza for breakfast.

Muffins can be made ahead of time. I make carrot flax muffins, blueberry oatmeal, and chocolate zucchini. I always use whole wheat flour. I freeze them in bags of 6 and pull out as needed. Its very quick and you control what you put in them.
  • funkylemur
    funkylemur Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    fresh fruit salad is always good, my kids love it when I make it into a face or a picture!
    Pancakes arent too bad nutritionally, just avoid syrup I suppose !
  • fitnessbekhs
    Options
    Swedish pancakes are a great way to get them to eat eggs. They have hardly any flour (and can be made with multiple different types of flour; i've used almond, rice and whole wheat). You can even just use the egg whites for a lower fat option. I put low fat cream cheese and all fruit jelly in mine. Very yummy. My five year old tries to request these every morning....and night. :)

Oh, yeah, and these can also be made ahead of time. They're GREAT left over!
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    I grew up on breakfast smoothies - one of those Carnation packets plus milk with a banana mixed with it. If you have a milk base and their favorite fruit, you can flavor it and customize it with cocoa powder, the sweetener of your choice, vanilla extract, banana extract, whatever. Add (flavored) yogurt for a thicker smoothie and some extra protein. Especially great for mornings when they're late getting out the door and need something they can consume quickly.