DDP Yoga Question - Calories Burned

Options
Hey guys,

I am doing DDP Yoga as my exercise and I am trying to figure out how much calories I am burning. Since it does not really fall into the class of yoga yoga. I am sweating and my heart rate is up there with the resistance exercises. What would a 30 minute workout calories burn be roughly for this kind of exercise?

Thanks for your help!

Replies

• MandyMcAwesome
    MandyMcAwesome Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Hi! I was actually wonering the same thing since I dont have a heart rate monitor yet. I found this post and I think it gives us a good idea until we can know for sure:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/556950-ddp-yoga?hl=ddp+yoga+burn#posts-9275647

"I sweat like a maniac, and after all is said and done burn around 400-450 calories in the 45 minutes or so it takes me to go through two of the beginner routines"
  • lvo001
    lvo001 Posts: 1
    Options
    I love DDP yoga, it makes you feel great and my strength, flexibility and energy is so much better than it used to be. I too was wondering how many calories it burns because this definately is not yo mamma's yoga.
  • Azhei
    Azhei Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting - I just started doing DDP yoga too!
  • afropuff87
    Options
    I love DDP yoga! It's so good :)
  • nala310
    nala310 Posts: 2
    Options
    Currently on week 5 of DDP Yoga and can really feel the difference. I have bad knees and hips, and this is really helping. My legs don't hurt as bad and I'm slowly losing weight.
  • clockworkgeisha
    clockworkgeisha Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Hey! I'm planning on starting DDP yoga, but I don't own a heart rate monitor - can anyone give me an idea of the sort of calories they burn in each workout (and, if it's not too personal, your weight/height :) ). Thanking you!
  • beccib2
    beccib2 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Silly Question, but what is DDP Yoga??
  • Mexicanbigfoot
    Mexicanbigfoot Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I am going to be ordering DDP yoga very soon, I'm so glad to see SO many people love it!! I have a HRM, I will definitely wear it when I do this. Can't wait to get started!!
  • jenifr818
    jenifr818 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    It's a program created by a former pro wrestler ... it's essentially yoga with dynamic moves mixed in. http://www.ddpyoga.com/site/index.php/en/ has some demo stuff. I burned about 175 calories doing the Energy workout, roughly 225 during Fat Burner. I stopped doing it in February due to emergency surgery, haven't gotten around to doing it again.

ETA for the poster that asked height weight: 5'6, 206 lbs
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Attempt at an explanation by quoting the ddpyoga website:
    "DDP Yoga is not traditional yoga, it’s a hybrid workout that incorporates some traditional yoga movements and adds dynamic resistance, active breathing techniques and power movements to make for a more challenging and results oriented workout.

The main benefits are body fat loss, lean muscle growth, and improved cardio levels all without placing undue stress on the joints. A valid comparison to yoga is they both provide increased flexibility and core strengthening."

I've been doing since January, and it's the best decision I've made. I have a before/after in my pictures, and my main form of exercise has been DDP Yoga. I'm also more flexible than I've ever been, and it's not even close. I can also do a handstand, which is cool.
  • beccib2
    beccib2 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info guys - sounds like something i would really enjoy so will look for the workouts.... :-)
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I recommend it. I don't actually know the calorie burn involved, but it's been fantastic for strength, flexibility, balance, and pain management. It hurt to walk when I first started (broken leg/ankle from last year) and now I'm running, jumping, and can stand on one foot for extended periods of time.
  • unlockthebox
    unlockthebox Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I tend to burn 300+ Calories per 20 min workout... once you figure out how to engage your mucels properly you will be sweating but with zero impact on your knees and joints! I have done 500+ Calories when my workout is 30 mins or more. Its all about keeping your heart rate in your fat burning zone. Im 30 days in and down 20 pounds without any other kind of workouts
  • Montalbano921
    Options
    I am so interested in the calorie burn of ddp yoga. I just did diamond cutter and was sweating more than when I jogged 4.5 miles yesterday. It's got to be up there
  • Montalbano921
    Options
    Can I get a heart monitor anywhere or is it best to go through ddp
  • jenifr818
    jenifr818 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I got mine at Kmart. Don't overpay. You can get a perfectly functional one at any retailer for a good price
  • kevinlnesta
    kevinlnesta Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've been doing DDPyoga since November and recommend it to everyone. The amount of calories you burn is based on how much you engage your muscles as you do the workouts. Depending on the level of energy you put in, you could have a difference of hundreds of calories in a 40-60 minute workout. You definitely need a heart monitor that tracks calories burned if you want an accurate idea.
  • SRMcEvoy
    SRMcEvoy Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have been doing it every day since July 1st and am down 28lbs. I used http://www.self.com/calculatorsprograms/calculators/caloriesburned/yoga to calculate how many calories and then put them in as personal exercises so i have each of the 15 workouts in there.

If you are interested I reviewed the book that started it all Yoga for Regular Guys http://bit.ly/1DDPYoga and also did some research and wrote a history of DDP Yoga http://bit.ly/shDDPYoga1
  • SRMcEvoy
    SRMcEvoy Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Today is day 45 straight of doing DDPYoga with Diamond Dallas Page life is good! http://bit.ly/DDPYoga2 my overview of DDP Yoga. Had a fitness assessment in the gym at work doubled my pushups and added 1/3rd to my plank.
  • 150is
    150is Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have ordered this and hopefully in the mail today. It was cool to post on DDP Yoga Facebook and Diamond DAvid Page replying to me!! I will post as soon as I get started as well.
    :smile: