reach goal weight or build muscle?

I think I have several question really. I'm getting really close to my goal weight and its become increasingly difficult to lose. I could restrict my calories more and get there more quickly I guess, but I like the idea of building muscle. I do have quite a bit of muscle, but I know I have a layer of fat on top. I also love running and am working towards a half marathon. (last week I ran 4 times doing 5 miles twice, 6 miles once and 8.5 the last time). I'm also doing Jillian's 6 week six pack and I like her NMTZ video, too. I know those aren't considered heavy lifting, but they are good resistance and I don't want to stop my running. I also looked up my body fat % today and just using an online calculator its 25% with a lean body mass of 100lbs. Those were acceptable and my BMI is acceptable. I'm 5'4 and 135lbs. My goal was 128lbs which I think is healthy and realistic, but at the same time, I'm not sure if should even be concerned with hitting that "magic number" at this point or if I should just concentrate on building muscle?

So, do I just diet to get down to 128 and THEN start heavier strength training? Do I have to lift weights to build muscle or will those JIllian dvd's work? Can I do strength training AND running and still build muscle?

If you read all of that, thank you! I think I must be overthinking! lol

Replies

• Carol_L
    Carol_L Posts: 296 Member
    The problem with weight is that its a point in time measurement of your body, and doesn't necessarily reflect composition.

Although I've got a ways to go, because of my workout regime, I have been building muscle while losing the fat and currently am wearing clothing that I wore at a weight that was about 15 lbs lighter than I am now.

Ultimately, what is your goal? Is it a particular size or the number on a scale?

If its a size, then working on building muscle will help on a number of fronts. You'll end up smaller at the same weight, and having more active tissue helps raise your RMR, so it helps you in maintaining your weight.

If its a number, and you're fairly close to that number, you'll need to be careful at how you lose those last lbs. You don't want to starve your body - the weight might come off, but you don't get to chose if it's fat or muscle. If you net out less than your RMR in your quest to lose weight, you will lose both fat and muscle. You will be lighter, but your body composition won't really change on a proportional basis. Instead of being 135 with 100 lbs of lean muscle mass, you'll be 128 lbs with 96 lbs of lean muscle.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    I hear you.

Health is what's important. Go for the muscle. Lose the fat. Don't worry about your weight.
  • ukulele2010
    ukulele2010 Posts: 126 Member
    Personally, if this were my first half marathon I would stick to the plan for the half marathon and the weight loss. Sure, I agree with what others have asked, are you looking for a number on the scale or something else? It does seem like something else is the priority given the running regimen. If I had completed multiple half marathons then I would consider strength training a bit more...
  • lookatme09
    lookatme09 Posts: 57 Member
    I agree. Go for the muscle. I am currently a skinny fat girl. I am at my ideal weight but i rather be heavier and toned with firm muscles
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Building muscle is hard. It usually requires a calorie surplus as well as a good strength training routine, but you can make small newbie muscle gains in a calorie deficit (while losing fat)

I wouldn't say JM is enough, I'd personally say you need a proper heavy lifting routine.

Start Lifting Now Though!! Even if you don't gain any actual muscle tissue, you will maintain more of what you have, AND get stronger, all while losing fat (provided you're in a calorie deficit) Don't create the deficit too large, you're close to your goal so a small one is best, especially for muscle building / maintenance and try and get enough protein.

All in all, the number doesn't mean much, it's just a weight. It doesn't take into account body composition. Once you get to your goal "look" you may be heavier than you aimed for, but who really cares at that point? You don't walk around with a sign on your head saying how much you weigh to the whole world, but you do wear a clothes size that is visible to all, pretty much. :smile:
  • meggwyn
    meggwyn Posts: 226 Member
    Thanks for the replies! I think I thought my goal was a number, but its really not. And I'm happy with the jean size I'm at (6), but I want to tone up. What I really want is muscle, but its hard to wrap my head around gaining weight when I've been trying so hard to lose it. But if that is what I have to do to change the fat into muscle, then so be it. Its just hard deciding if now is the time to do it.
    The running is a hobby that I don't ever want to stop doing. So I'd like to be able to incorporate strength training into my running routine. I'm not signed up for a race yet. (They just cost so much!) But I want to be able to run 13.1 miles! (At a 10min/mile pace). Its more of a personal goal. Is there a reason I shouldn't mix the two? (running and strength training?)

And so should I stop restricting my calories at this point? Should I just be sure to eat back all of exercise calories? My net is set for 1500. Oh and do I need to invest in heavy dumbbells or are those workout dvd's good enough to build muscle?
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    BOTH. Just be realistic in your weight goal
  • meggwyn
    meggwyn Posts: 226 Member
    Cross posted!

Thanks for the advice! So, I should def eat back my exercise calories and start lifting heavy. But I don't need to stop my running/dvd's as long as I also do the heavy lifting? And keep my protein up.

Can someone point me in the right direction to get started with heavy lifting? :)

Thanks so much!
  • _stephanie0
    _stephanie0 Posts: 708 Member
    hey! i'm 5'4 as well. i started at 162 lbs. i did cardio and p90x and ristriced my calories like crazy (1100-1300) and got down to 123 lbs. i was skinny. not sexy...skinny...

then i started weight training and now i do crossfit with minimal cardio and i eat 1600-2200 calories and i weigh 136 lbs....

i fit the same pair of jean shorts i wore when i was 123 lbs but i built muscle over the years!!

dont focus on the number. the number looks different on everybody!!
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Cross posted!

Thanks for the advice! So, I should def eat back my exercise calories and start lifting heavy. But I don't need to stop my running/dvd's as long as I also do the heavy lifting? And keep my protein up.

Can someone point me in the right direction to get started with heavy lifting? :)

Thanks so much!

Yes eat exercise calories back and lift heavy.

Running shouldn't have a negative impact on lifting and muscle as long as you're keeping the deficit the same (eating back exercise cals). Although you might want to do them on separate days, just to save energy for both.

A good protein goal is usually seen as at least 1g protein per lb of lean body mass (or total body weight)

Recommendations:
    New rules of lifting for women
    Starting strength
    Stronglifts 5x5
  • Carol_L
    Carol_L Posts: 296 Member
    If you're looking for resources to do this on your own, Nerdfitness.com has some great ideas for training.

The New Rules series, particularly New Rules of Lifting for Women, can also provide a good starting point.

In any case, you can always start with some basic body weight exercises. Push ups, planks, lunges, squats, mountain climbers, and burpees may not be glamorous, but they are very effective. If you can find containers with handles that you can fill with sand, or buckshot or other heavy materials, you can make your own weights for use with your squats and lunges..
  • prokomds
    prokomds Posts: 318 Member
    Just keep in mind that no one knows your weight, but everyone can see how awesome you look as those muscles develop.

I'll also recommend the New Rules of Lifting for Women books as a good starting point.

Best of luck to you! And congrats on getting close enough to your goal that you can start weighing these options instead of just worrying so much about your calories...