the green eyed monster - jealousy

Options
so we went to a christmas party last night and the duaghter of the hosts is a friend of ours - she is on nutrisystem and has lost 40 lbs since september and looks fabulous!! she has about 10 more lbs to go and has been struggling with her weight for a long time - she looks and feels great and i am genuinely happy for her - but at the same time i was super jealous and starting comparing myself to her - she doesn't work out really, she walks 3x per week - i work out every day and am diligent about watching what i eat and it's taking me so long to look better - i feel better and know that i am losing - but still - i want to be there already - it's so hard not to compare myself to others!!

i have about 10 lbs to go and i know that those last 10 are the toughtest - i just need to stay focused, keep doing what i am doing and i will get there - it's just hard when it seems so easy for others and is such a struglle for me

Replies

• pdxmomof2
    Options
    Dont be jealous! When she stops doing that diet, her weight is going to come back because she has not taught herself or her body a lifestyle change. You on the other hand, will keep plugging away like you are, your weight coming off slowly and steadily!

Good luck on those last 10 pounds!
  • DEBDOUGLAS
    Options
    Yes keep up the good work!!!! She will gain her weight back because she isn't changing the way she eats. When you do it the right way, yes it does take longer but in the long run your body will appreciate it and so will you!!!!!!!!!
  • BamaRose0107
    Options
    I agree with what the others have said. Losing weight is about more than just see the number on the scale go down. Its completely changing your eating habits, exercise habits and controlling the mental aspect of it. You are doing great. I am battling my last few pounds also. We just have to stick with it!
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,980 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: whatever you do, don't let negative emotions or crazy voices in your head, interfere with the good eating and exercising habits that you practice every day. The secret to success is to stay focused on your goal and not let anything get in your way. You are doing great, so it doesn't matter what anybody else says or does.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • teetee1281
    teetee1281 Posts: 1,076 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else, you are working hard and creating new habits. You have to keep in mind that your friend is paying to have meals delivered, which means that she has not officially learned how to manage her own diet and food intake. What you are doing is taking control of your food and knowing what is good and bad to eat along with working out. Stay positive and just remember how much money you are saving yourself!
  • tollitollison
    tollitollison Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I find it disturbing that everyone is saying negative things about the girl losing weight. Why can't we be happy for her? I hope she keeps the weight off and feel positive that she will.
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,728 Member
    Options
    so we went to a christmas party last night and the duaghter of the hosts is a friend of ours - she is on nutrisystem and has lost 40 lbs since september and looks fabulous!! she has about 10 more lbs to go and has been struggling with her weight for a long time - she looks and feels great and i am genuinely happy for her - but at the same time i was super jealous and starting comparing myself to her - she doesn't work out really, she walks 3x per week - i work out every day and am diligent about watching what i eat and it's taking me so long to look better - i feel better and know that i am losing - but still - i want to be there already - it's so hard not to compare myself to others!!

i have about 10 lbs to go and i know that those last 10 are the toughtest - i just need to stay focused, keep doing what i am doing and i will get there - it's just hard when it seems so easy for others and is such a struglle for me
    I know it's hard not to compare yourself with others, but just keep reminding yourself this is about being the best you can be, and you can do that while people around you are working on being the best they can be. I think it's awesome that you are genuinely happy for your friend. Let her success be a motivation for you. I wouldn't be surprised if yours is for her. Keep being consistent, and those last 10 pounds will be a thing of the past. Good luck!
  • pdxmomof2
    Options
    I find it disturbing that everyone is saying negative things about the girl losing weight. Why can't we be happy for her? I hope she keeps the weight off and feel positive that she will.

I dont think anyone WANTS her to gain it back and even the OP is happy for her but she is eating pre-packaged, predetermined amounts of food. It is likely that if she quits doing that and has not formed life changing habits then she will gain some or all of her weight back.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's cool that everyone is saying "don't worry, she'll gain it back!"...no one knows what's going on in that woman's head- maybe she's made huge changes, and maybe she will conquer her issues with weight...I mean, isn't that what we all want for each other? She may transition from the pre-packaged food and be just fine. A lot of us eat prepackaged foods on a pretty regular basis- maybe not big name "diet" meals, but it's not much different than a lot of what's in the grocer's feezer.

I don't feel jealous when I see people who have lost the weight...I'm on the same journey, and I can have the same results. Seeing someone who has accomplished what I want to accomplish is inspiring because it shows that it can be done.
  • teetee1281
    teetee1281 Posts: 1,076 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's cool that everyone is saying "don't worry, she'll gain it back!"...no one knows what's going on in that woman's head- maybe she's made huge changes, and maybe she will conquer her issues with weight...I mean, isn't that what we all want for each other? She may transition from the pre-packaged food and be just fine. A lot of us eat prepackaged foods on a pretty regular basis- maybe not big name "diet" meals, but it's not much different than a lot of what's in the grocer's feezer.

I don't feel jealous when I see people who have lost the weight...I'm on the same journey, and I can have the same results. Seeing someone who has accomplished what I want to accomplish is inspiring because it shows that it can be done.
    It just like how pdxmomof2 said it, no one is intentionally saying that. And you are right, there are a lot of maybes that we don’t know because we haven’t heard her side. And everyone does buy prepackaged food but we are still on our own for most of the meals.
    It is definitely motivating to see someone lose weight with hard-work and determination, it is inspiring and makes you want to take notes and lessons from them, but when an individual’s method is completely different and seems easier, it makes you wonder if you’re going about things the wrong way or the slower way. Either way, losing weight is only a start, changing our lifestyle and maintaining is our most difficult challenge that we all face no matter which way we lose it.