Any Suggestions?

Options
Walking is my excercise of choice. I LOVE to walk. But the weather where I live has been so cold and rainy that it will be another month before I can get started. I don't have a tread mill and don't really like to walk on one. I could Mall walk, but the nearest Mall is 60 mile away. Any ideas of something I could do until the weather is better?

Replies

• Rosie31056
    Options
    Walking is my excercise of choice. I LOVE to walk. But the weather where I live has been so cold and rainy that it will be another month before I can get started. I don't have a tread mill and don't really like to walk on one. I could Mall walk, but the nearest Mall is 60 mile away. Any ideas of something I could do until the weather is better?
  • DaniUSA
    DaniUSA Posts: 74
    Options
    Try to get right clothes for the weather.. rain jackets for example..

maybe go in a nearby museum? you cal walk there too.
  • cstolba
    cstolba Posts: 14
    Options
    You could try Leslie Sansone's Walk Away the Pounds on dvd or vhs. I finally dusted mine off and popped it in my dvd player.

Good luck!
    Cara
  • babyhippo
    babyhippo Posts: 247
    Options
    It's been cold, snowy, windy.....just down right nasty here for months. I've just been sucking it up. I bundle up and walk anyways. (and despite what my mother says, I haven't caught a cold yet:wink: )
    In fact, I'm getting so use to it that yesterday my son walked with me. He was freezing, and I was completely comfortable.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    I love walking as well. When I was on a train trip, I walked in place in an 3 x 3 foot area. It can be done. The videos are a great idea though. Some libraries carry exercise videos so you can check them out before you buy.
  • doglvr_75
    doglvr_75 Posts: 144
    Options
    This may seem lame, but...I, too, hate the treadmill (tho I have started using it again..:noway: )...anyway, prior to that I just made a "route" around the house...and, if you have any stairs inside use them...just a suggestion, but it got me started...:smile:
  • yenn
    yenn Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    mall walkers always impress me !! as long as you can go before it opens so you're not tempted to break the bank :) ooops sorry just noticed you can't :sad:
  • diegelmansm
    Options
    You could try Leslie Sansone's Walk Away the Pounds on dvd or vhs. I finally dusted mine off and popped it in my dvd player.

Good luck!
    Cara

I love those videos! My mom (51 y/o) and I just got finished doing the 3 mile!
  • vicky1
    vicky1 Posts: 236
    Options
    Walk up and down the stair for 30 mins and carry some extra weight in a backpack you may look crazy and hope no one comes to the door but I promise you will feel it you could even try jogging up and down.

I do go for walks in the cold and windy weather and my little girls walks to she used to stand on her buggy board at the back of the push chair but she was too cold standing still now I wrap her up with hat gloves scarf an extra pair of tights under her pants and thick wooly socks and she just trotts along with me for a full hour in the morning and 30 mins down to school in the afternoon. I will miss her in september when she goes to preschool.:cry:

When it is cold walk quickly too keep warm burns more calories to because you are trying to keep warm and your body is working harder just to do that.

The only thing that I think is soooo important if you are walking in rain and the cold is a good pair of waterproof boots or wellies to keep your feet dry I find it is the difference between surviving the bad weather and being miserable in it.

Good luck.