Strength Training.. how many times per week ?

Options
Hello everyone,
I have started strength training (push-ups, sit ups, upper body toning biceps, triceps..) and I'd like to know if I need to skip a day in between each session (approx 35 mins)
thanx !

Replies

• harebearva
    harebearva Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Do the resistance training every other day ( probably 3 days per week) and some form of cardio on off days if your trying to drop weight. Depending on the intensity of the resistance training, muscle needs a day or two to repair which is where the increase in strength occurs.

I lift heavy, on Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday and do 1-2 days of 30 minute cardio sessions on alternate days.

Hope this helps.
  • cmcorn26
    cmcorn26 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I had the same question! Thanks!
  • Jynus
    Jynus Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    2-3 days per week. but aside from pushups, arms are not really considered strength training.

For you, consider strength training as doing compound movements where you hit utter failure in 4-5 reps.
  • harebearva
    harebearva Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    The interesting thing that alot of women are afraid of is gaining muscle while lifting heavy weights. This shouldn't be a concern. You are not likely to "bulk up" if you are eating in a calorie maintenance or deficit. Muscle gains in size usually come from eating excess calories above maintenance.

As well, don't fear the muscle. More muscle means higher metabolism and easier weight loss. If you build a sufficient muscle mass, keeping the weight off is easier. Muscle uses the calories you eat very effciently :)
  • bluechip777
    bluechip777 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    i lift 5 days per week along w/ cardio.
  • mcouturezz
    Options
    Thanx a lot ! That'll help me put together a schedule for working out efficiently.
    I do Zumba as Cardio 3 times / week so on the off days I'll do strength training and then Sunday : rest !! :)
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    The interesting thing that alot of women are afraid of is gaining muscle while lifting heavy weights. This shouldn't be a concern. You are not likely to "bulk up" if you are eating in a calorie maintenance or deficit. Muscle gains in size usually come from eating excess calories above maintenance.

As well, don't fear the muscle. More muscle means higher metabolism and easier weight loss. If you build a sufficient muscle mass, keeping the weight off is easier. Muscle uses the calories you eat very effciently :)

This. Too many women are doing barbie weights, which really are doing nothing. Lift heavy, and be proud. You will NOT bulk up. More muscles means higher calorie burns, even at rest. I lift 3 days a week, and do cardio 4-5 days a week. Oh and if you're doing cardio & strength on the same day ALWAYS do strength THEN cardio!
  • _Tuyana_
    _Tuyana_ Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I asked a nutritionist at my gym about this, because my goal is not weight but body fat loss, she told me that 3 times a week is a minimum. So, I do it 4 times a week now. Today I did 1-hr class of Power cardio (which is basically a pump class with some aerobics thrown in) and 1-hr of Zumba straight after.
  • _Tuyana_
    _Tuyana_ Posts: 83 Member
    Options

I would LOVE to be able to lift heavy weights, I admire muscled women at my gym and wish I was like them... Unfortunately, I'm too weak and about 10 kg is all I can cope with at the moment :ohwell:
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    3 to 4 would be ideal, and would depend on your program
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

I would LOVE to be able to lift heavy weights, I admire muscled women at my gym and wish I was like them... Unfortunately, I'm too weak and about 10 kg is all I can cope with at the moment :ohwell:

when someone mentions lifting heavy it is relative. heavy lifting usually means lifting heavy enough so you can only manage 4-8ish reps with good form.