increased my calories

Options
Just wonder if anyone has changed their settings? I have really been having a hard time. I have 10 pounds to loose. I've lost between 3-5 (depending on the day) and I've been at this since June. I just got a trainer because I can't get anything to change. And I'm really not good at lifting weights. Anyway, she told me that 1200 calories for me is way to low. Even if I work out and eat all of the calories back. She wanted me to up it 1400 (I was at 1200) with out working out. She said my resting rate is way to low and that I'm not getting any results because my body is going into starvation mode. So I've just changed it to 1350 and going to eat all of my work out calories back. We will see what happens. Has anyone run into this?

Replies

• betoGod
    Options
    I have not had that problem, but through my years of experience and education I do know that many people eat too little calories. The best way to lose weight is to eat 5-6 small meals a day. I believe your minimum caloric intake just to keep the body running at rest is 1200-1500 per day. I would totally agree with your trainer. I always believed that weight training is good for the body as muscles help to burn more calories. You don't need big muscles, just toned ones.

Sort of like comparing a small engine in a car to a big one, the bigger engine burns more gasoline.
  • louisaellamae
    Options
    do not go below 1200 cal intake... your body will go into survival mode and pack on everything you eat!!! keep it healthy... try 75g+ protien... that will keep everything else low and help your mucles burn more fat! good luck!
  • Arlala555
    Arlala555 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Yes when I first signed up I immediately changed that horrible 1200 cal setting. Most websites tell me to eat like 2200 to 2300 to maintain my weight. for every 3500 cal you deficit you lose a pound and it's good to lose no more than 2 or so pounds a week. so in my case to lose 2 pds a week I should be eating like 1200 to 1300 calories a day that's with exercise taking out and I lose like 200 to 400 a day depending if i go to gym or not. So on gym days I can eat like 1500 to 1700 calories a day. It's just a little equation thing. So when I end up plateauing, then I will recalculate how many calories I need to maintain my weight and start the number crunching all over again.
    Does this make any sense to you?
  • Brandiann
    Brandiann Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Yes I've just recently changed my calorie intake to 1700 because I train alot harder now and I need to keep my body fueled and metabolism buring...
  • MFPfriend
    MFPfriend Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    You definitely should not be eating 1200 calories a day if you only have 10 pounds to lose. The last ten pounds should take somewhere between 3-6 months to lose. I would at least up your calories to 1500-1600.
  • jenzimmer
    jenzimmer Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I hope it works! :)
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    I have about 10 more pounds left, too, and I had to increase my cals. I was starving at 1200! It has worked for me so far...although these last 10 will probably take me forever to lose! :noway: