Heart rate moniters

Options
Hi :) I have been looking for a heart rate monitor and was hoping I could get some opinions to help me decide what to buy. I mainly want it for heart rate and calorie monitoring, I do body balance once a week and treadmill, bike and weights 2 times a week so I was was originally looking at the Polar FT4 because it is basic and looks cute. Yesterday I saw the Garmin Forerunner 110 in the Womens fitness mag, it looks nice (sounds silly but I don't want some ugly thing on my wrist) but has more functions and I really don't need gps at the gym. to confuse things more, my hubby came home and searched ideas on the internet and he says I should get the
Garmin ant+ adapter for iphone that you use with the chest strap and Garmen app. He seems to think that people wont use the watches anymore and now I am just confused lol!

Thanks

Replies

• skolvikes5
    Options
    I use a polar chest strap and watch. I am a fan of it.
  • Cronen_S
    Options
    I've been using the polar ft7 (?) for about a week and it's great. It has the chest strap and the watch is red and silver and not too big. It doesn't have the gps b/c like you, I only really needed it for my elliptical and cardio workouts.
  • booksavvybabe
    booksavvybabe Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I have a polar FT7 with a chest strap and a watch- I love it. Obviously, I got the women's watch, i don't think it's too bulky and best of all, it's easy. Oh, and the machines at the gym pick up the signal (they are polar equipped or whatever) so, I can see my heart rate right there on the treadmill too.
  • heytherestephy
    heytherestephy Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I too have a Polar, I have the Ft7 with the chest strap. I love it to bits and wear it all the time, not just when working out. What I love most, and you'll have to check out the machines at your gym or the machines you have, but mine syncs to the gym cardio equipment and shows me my HR on the treadmill screen :D
  • starlight_dream
    starlight_dream Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Great to see that there are quite a few people that like polar, I think I am still leaning toward getting one. Has anyone used an ant+ adapter for iphone with the chest strap?
  • dennisgp
    dennisgp Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have used the following apps for my I-phone: Garmin fit, Ipower, Wahoo Digifit. The all use ant + adapter basically. I didn't like it too much, always had issued with losing the heart rate. I believe if you want the true heart rate, then get a heart rate watch and do it right. I love the watch because if gives you a better view how many calories that you are burning while working out. MFP exercise calories are rather low, that I learned. I had an old Garmin Forerunner 305, but it did not work on the inside when I wanted to see the heart rate and number of calories that I burned during aerobic classes. I believe the new Garmin Forerunner heart rate show calories burn and heart rate while inside a building. I recently purchase a Polar RCX3, thinking that I'll spend more money and get something better than the Polar FT7. I am not too happy with the RCX3, for example I don't care about my pace but there are certain screens you can change to something else on the RCX3. However if you want GPS with your FT7 then you will have to buy another model like FT60 or RS300X. I like the Polar website that download the information and shows you all the information, compared to the Garmin website. Before buying I would recommend the website: Polar website discussion website forum (http://forum.polar.fi/), which talks about all the Polar heart rate watch models and problems or things people like about their brand that they purchased. Good luck everyone.
  • AmandaTWaH
    AmandaTWaH Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I just ordered the FT4. Only $50 on eBay and it has some of the best reviews I've seen.
  • heytherestephy
    heytherestephy Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    TBH, I'd just get a Polar and then download a GPS app for your phone, maybe Nike+ or MapMyRun. I love both, but at this moment I'm really into Nike+.
  • starlight_dream
    starlight_dream Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback everyone :) Dennis thanks for your post, I really wanted to hear from someone who had used the ant + adapter so your thoughs on them are appreciated. I will check out the polar discussion forum!
  • alyssa92982
    alyssa92982 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    i have the polar ft4-it worked fine when i received it (last christmas), now wont pick up when in certain positions (plank, push up etc) for some reason. hopefully you wont have that issue either