Heading for a jog for the first time EVER!

Options
What should I be doing? What shouldn't I be doing? Stretch? Food wise? I want to do it right and have the most of it... :D

Replies

• georgie181
    Options
    eat an hour before and immediately after, make sure you have some complex carbs post run, stretch beforehand, start slowly and speed up a little as you find your pace. concentrate on how your feet hit the ground 'do not land on your heels'. and your breathing, thats what I found hardest to get used to was the breathing. When I go out I do interval style, jog/spint/run, walk to rest. most importantly have fun :) x
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Kill it!
  • Andreake08
    Andreake08 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna kill it allright... :D

Thanks for the tips! Already ate, so it's a matter of time... :D Any specifics on food? Peanut butter? ;)

I also have a circuit of pushups, squats, glute bridges and triceps dips that I do for a MFP challenge... Do I do those before or after? Or not combined at all and at a different time (ie. running in the morning and circuit in the afternoon or vice versa)?

Thank you! :D
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    if its less then 10 km (or 6 miles) forget about eating, you have enough fuel in your muscles to run 10 km. You may want to eat before, but for me any food in stomach makes running very uncomfortable so I don't eat 2 h before and don't drink right before running.
    if it's less then 30-45 min, forget the water, carrying the bottle is really inconvenient, and if you carry it in hand can even result in sore arm and stiff back (as your balance is off)

warm up, during the run try to pace yourself, but if you don't manage and get out of breath - walk to recover and then run some more. take it easy, running is the most natural thing. don't forget to stretch after - especially your shins
  • Andreake08
    Options
    Thank you!!! :D
  • trevpimp
    trevpimp Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    You can stretch by using a short 5 minute walk. Unless u want to stretch otherwise.
    You usually burn like 100 to 130 calories per mile depending on your body. Well that's how much I burn haha
  • Andreake08
    Options
    I like that stretch! Simple and easy... Before and after?
  • GoldspursX3
    GoldspursX3 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Dynamic stretching pre-workout and static stretching for cool down.
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Good luck!
  • Andreake08
    Options
    Thank you, pals!

I'll start walking and then jog a little, just to finish walking again... Just did two sets of this (http://fitbie.msn.com/fit-life/?videoId=61b382a7-4f0f-4f1b-9447-06da610a9a7c) and the fact that I had to vomit afterwards shows me in how poor shape I am... Anyway, I'm not gonna push it, but I'll have my jog!
  • I've just started running, and I do a short stretch ever since I irritated my muscles!!

pre-run-yoga-streteches1.jpg

You could try this!

O, and visit a Runnersworld and let them have a look at your shoes and your walk. There's something wrong with the way I run and I keep irritating my ligaments/joints and muscles in knees and calves.
  • Fred4point0
    Fred4point0 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I would suggest that you subscribe to Runner's World magazine. There you wil find lots of helpful information that will make running an enjoyable experience.
  • Lisamar74
    Options
    Stretching afterwards is more important than stretching prior. Research has proven there's not much benefit to stretching prior to a workout but stretching afterwards prevents injuries and is a good cool down. Like some people have said, walking is a good intro to running.
    Don't be hard on yourself. Expect to run a little and walk a lot at first. Start running at a very slow pace, if you start off too quick you'll burn out fast, build up too much lactic acid and get a stitch. Once you get to know how your body reacts when running, you will find the right pace for you. You'll very gradually build up your resistance and pace as time goes on. Good luck! There's no better feeling than when you do eventually manage to find your zone with running. x
  • krundell88
    krundell88 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Try a couch to 5k programme. The main cause of people failing when the jog is running too fast (talking from experiance). Google couch to 5k and follow the programme. I was never able to run before this programme - now i can run for 20 min straight and i still have a few weeks to go. Noticed a big difference in my fitness and my legs/stomach.
  • Andreake08
    Options
    Oh, but I plan to jog at my pace... That is, not fast at all... :P

Thank you for all your tips, guys... YOU'RE AWESOME!! :D:D:D
  • Hard4work
    Options
    Aim to jog 3 times a week, otherwise your body will not get used to the exercise and you will never get any progression. Good luck!
  • janzia
    janzia Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I also highly recommend using one of the Couch to 5K programs. I personally used the 5K runner app and finished up the program on 8/29 and plan on doing my first 5k on the 22nd of this month. I don't think that I would have ever done it without this program, it starts you out slow and gradually builds you up so there's less risk of doing too much too fast and burning yourself out.
  • blackcoffeeandcherrypie
    Options
    Make sure you are dressed comfortably with the option of removing layers if you get hot. Put some killer tunes on your music player that will inspire you and make you want to keep going. Rather than going all out and trying to run for too long, alternate walking and running in whatever proportion feels comfortable to you. Most importantly, have fun! :-D
  • Andreake08
    Options
    Back!! :D

I couldn't find any kill music (my thoughts too), so I picked up one of my faves and alternated jogging and brisk walking... I'm not tired, I'm not out of breath, so I know I didn't force myself (I'll have plenty of time for that as I get used to... ). I just feel good and proud of myself.

Total? 48 minutes... :D
  • Lisamar74
    Options
    Back!! :D

I couldn't find any kill music (my thoughts too), so I picked up one of my faves and alternated jogging and brisk walking... I'm not tired, I'm not out of breath, so I know I didn't force myself (I'll have plenty of time for that as I get used to... ). I just feel good and proud of myself.

Total? 48 minutes... :D

That's fantastic! You did good on your first time!