How to Drink Less Sugar?

Options

Replies

• Tilran
    Tilran Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    "Hint" flavored waters are great, zero calories, and have no artificial ingredients.

Umm What?
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    should I not drink diet soda

If you don't have any adverse reaction from artificial sweeteners (a small % of people do) then you can enjoy diet soda provided you're not drinking ridiculous amounts of it (I'd keep it to a few cans per day as a limit, and not a full case).

There's no conclusive scientific data that diet soda is good or bad, but the inconclusive data that we do have (mostly epidemiology) sure seems to point more toward bad than good.
  • robin820
    robin820 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    crystal light, many flavors to choose from. Works in our house!
  • imhungry2012
    imhungry2012 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Would he drink crystal light instead of juice? Naturally flavored selzer/club soda instead of soda?
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    If he really wants to drink less sugar he will find a way.

It's as simple as slowly lowering the amount of sugar in tea/coffee and slowly adding more and more water to juice until he is drinking just water.

There's nothing wrong with pop and juices if they are drank in moderation. When he slowly lowers the amount of sugar he drinks he will get used to it.

Flavour water with oranges, lemons, strawberries, cucumbers, etc.
  • EccentricDad
    EccentricDad Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    Just. Drink. Water.

If you need something else in the fridge, drink unsweetened soy or almond milk.

That's it! Nothing more, nothing less. You should NEVER drink your calories. Even juicers are bad for you because you don't get the fiber, protein, or fats from the fruits/veggies; if you need to drink your calories (hate the taste of food) then use a blender and BLEND IT ALL.

What about soup, can you drink that out of a bowl, or is that a no no?

Depends on what you add to the soup wouldn't you agree? If you make your own soup and you use healthy whole ingredients, wouldn't that be just as good?
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Just. Drink. Water.

That's it! Nothing more, nothing less. You should NEVER drink your calories. Even juicers are bad for you because you don't get the fiber, protein, or fats from the fruits/veggies; if you need to drink your calories (hate the taste of food) then use a blender and BLEND IT ALL.

Depends on what you add to the soup wouldn't you agree? If you make your own soup and you use healthy whole ingredients, wouldn't that be just as good?

So in some cases you would agree that drinking calories is fine
  • islandmonkey
    islandmonkey Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Buying a Soda Stream water carbonator was worth every penny to me. Every time I was craving pop it was usually because I was dehydrated - the carbonated (tap) water gave me the bubbles without the sugar and sodium.
  • islandmonkey
    islandmonkey Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Just. Drink. Water.

I don't think you actually read beyond the title of this post....
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    Make fruit smoothies..

add fruit to water

show him how he's killing himself
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Sounds like he's not all that motivated. I'd let him do what he does, if he wants to make the change; it'll have to come from within.
  • EccentricDad
    Options
    Just. Drink. Water.

So in some cases you would agree that drinking calories is fine

Soup is water. I don't know what the composition of the broth would be other than water. If it's broth, broth has NO nutritional value and is just a waste of calories too. But the calories given from this "broth" may not be very high if you do it the right way, so you may want to drink it anyways as an INDULGENCE but not to expect to get nutrition. If you are trying to eat healthy, it is just a good rule of thumb to NOT drink any calories so you have those calories for things that are REAL FOOD.

But don't let my logic stop you, troll on.
  • Tank_Girl
    Tank_Girl Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Have you tried "innocent smoothies"
  • EccentricDad
    Options
    Just. Drink. Water.

I don't think you actually read beyond the title of this post....

Does anyone? I just had 3 of my own questions sabotaged by "TL;DR" people. Admittedly, I'm one of them.
  • dycheelizabeth
    Options

If you don't have any adverse reaction from artificial sweeteners (a small % of people do) then you can enjoy diet soda provided you're not drinking ridiculous amounts of it (I'd keep it to a few cans per day as a limit, and not a full case).
    Water, water, water!! Diet soda is full of sodium, it will dehydrate you and cause you to retain crazy amounts of water weight!!
  • EccentricDad
    Options
    Actually read the post and I have this as an answer YOU HAVE NO CONTROL OVER ANYONE ELSE BUT YOURSELF. While you would love your husband to be healthy, he clearly does not have the same intentions and has no desire to take on your requests. Each time you tell him what to do, you are contributing to the "nag-o-meter" and you will be labeled the naggy wife.

All I can suggest is guide the horse but don't expect it to drink. When he is in the hospital for some health issue that could have been prevented, you pull a short and quick "told you so" and maybe (just maybe) he'll start to respect you and listen to you.

I am having the same problem with my wife who prefers Taco Bell, Wine, and Fine Dining to home cooked meals that keeps the pounds off her. But at the end of the day, I am no more in control of her than you are of your husband; they are their own people and can *kitten* up their lives any way they want to.
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options

Water, water, water!! Diet soda is full of sodium, it will dehydrate you and cause you to retain crazy amounts of water weight!!

Diet pop is not full of sodium... there is maybe 50mg per can! There's more sodium in a lot of other things than there is in pop.

Diet pop is NOT bad for you if you aren't having that as your only liquid. As long as you don't have any issues with the sweeteners you are fine drinking it. Sodium content in it isn't enough to make a difference.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Just. Drink. Water.

I guess we shouldnt drink milk and protein shakes then.
  • EccentricDad
    Options
    Just. Drink. Water.

I guess we shouldnt drink milk and protein shakes then.

Agreed. Get your protein from eggs and meats and get your calcium from green veggies and vitamin d by going outside!

Protein shakes are really high Carb and too low on the essential vitamins your body needs (man made vitamins are not ideal, your body needs real vitamins from real food).

Our body was not created to drink milk past the age of 5. Lactase is killed off by adulthood and our body may or may not be ready to take in casein or whey (depends on your lineage - my ancestors didn't drink milk so I wasn't born with the enzymes to break it down). Plus, cows are supposed to make something like 10,000 ounces of milk a lifetime; these genetically mutant cows now produce over 50,000 ounces due to growth hormones (which are passed on to us) so the point is, milk is not a natural part of our diet.

Milk and grains became part of our diet in desperation to guarentee enough food for everyone. Because if it weren't for these fillers, we would run out of food and eat each other.

Troll on bro, having fun with this.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes are really high Carb and too low on the essential vitamins your body needs (man made vitamins are not ideal, your body needs real vitamins from real food).

Protein shakes are not high carb. Protein shakes with added carbs are high carb. A normal protein shake has less than 2-3grams of carbs per serving, a good quality isolate has no carbs whatsoever.

Protein powders are also not devoid of nutrients, the vitamins it contains are by-product of being a dairy product. They are not "man made".

Please do some research before posting.