Profile - Sedentary or not Sedentary?

Options
Hiya,

Happily I am 3lbs away from my goal weight and plan to reset my Profile to Maintain.

I workout at least 5 days a week, an hour each session but have a job where I am sat down for 8 hours a day.

So, within my profile in order to maintain do I describe my lifestyle as Sedentary or not Sedentary?

Not sure where to post this so forgive me if you see it in more than one place.

Replies

• AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    Sedentary. Your exercise routine is only included when you actually do exercise.
  • kelly101386
    kelly101386 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Keep it a sedentary, not sedentary is for people who are on their feet all day with work and what not.
  • chrisa8170
    chrisa8170 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I would agree it is Sedentary :-( I too am desk bound with little prospect of escape :-) still I have my lunchtime walks.

Good luck with the goal
  • Patovader
    Patovader Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I am in the same position as you and am currently maintaining. I have mine set to sedentary then log all my exercise and eat my calories back, other than normal fluctuations (circa 1 pound either side of goal) I have been successfully maintaining since April.

Good luck :)
  • stakoc94
    stakoc94 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Same here I am also stuck to a desk 8+ hours a day. However I do get the option to work from home most days (except travel days) and then I can use my breaks and lunch hour to work out. No one can see me sweaty, outta breath, or unshowered if need be :happy:
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    I disagree with sedentary. I also would caution you on the absolutes of activity level choices on MFP (or any site). They are a generic guide designed to get people started in the correct general area of their metabolic rate, not a hard and fast law. Once you start getting the hang of MFP I would strongly suggest evaluating your situation and adding calories to your metabolic rate (or subtracting them if you set your rate higher) based on what you do other than work and the gym.

In other words, if you work out every day, but have a desk job where you do no walking around, technically you're probably lightly active or somewhere close, but if you choose to enter your exercise calories here on MFP (and only here on MFP) then you would probably want to customize your calorie deficit, make it somewhere in between sedentary and lightly active, and go from there (tweaking along the way) taking into account any other activity you do other than work and the gym. I.E. if you work 8 hours a day and go to the gym once a day but also do various physical activity at home (like laundry, dishes, cleaning up, gardening, playing with kids or a dog...etc.) then you're not sedentary.