Best Guess

Options
I have just started using weights at the gym, kettlebell and free weights. My Trainer has given me 2 routines both of which are aerobic based with weights. The kettle bell routine consists of swings, figure of 8, around the body, dead lift and rows. I have to do10 reps of each 3 times as quick as possible. The free weights are all squat based, bicep curl with a squat, and 2 other moves ( can't remember tech name for them) where I squat and then push the dumbell above my head from waist level, once again 10 reps 3 times with each arm as fast as I can. needless to say I am lathered in sweat and my HRM is recording 147 when I have finished. How do I record this kind of excercise and as a best guess what is the calorie usage for it?. I eat health all cooked from fresh ( apart from my 1 a day treat of a small piece of chocolate ;0) ) and record everything I eat on MFP food diary. I am concerned that I may be eating way under my calorie allocation as in the last week I have dropped 5 lbs. Now much as yes that is a great weight loss, I had planned to do this slowly at 1 - 2 lbs a week. as I believe and from past experience that is the best way to loose it and keep it off. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks for for reading folks.

Replies

• aholly70
    aholly70 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I myself would do under cardio.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    if your trainer is telling you it's aerobic (and I'm going to assume your trainer knows what he/she is talking about) then you would log it under cardio.

If they had you doing anaerobic work (I.E. working to failure) then it's different and much harder to calculate the total energy expendature of the routines because the increased burn and EPOC (Exercise Post-exercise Oxygen Consumption) can continue for many hours, and depends on numerous factors (making it next to impossible to calculate using formulas).

I would say this though, if the weights are at all heavy, and you find it difficult to continue near the end, you're probably at least partially anaerobic, which means you're probably burning slightly more than your HRM would tell you (maybe an extra 50 to 100 calories per "session" or I should say as a result of your session, but that's just a guess based on the clients I've trained in the past).
  • tonkabella
    tonkabella Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thank you both. Yes at the end I really have to push to get the last reps out. I will try adding an extra 75 cal on my work out days to see if it levels off. Must admit I love doing the routines even if I am shattered at the end... really does give me a boost. :0)
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Thank you both. Yes at the end I really have to push to get the last reps out. I will try adding an extra 75 cal on my work out days to see if it levels off. Must admit I love doing the routines even if I am shattered at the end... really does give me a boost. :0)

just be aware that you may see some initial weight gain from this work. Or a plateau in loss at least. This is normal and it's a GOOD thing. It means your body is reacting to the needs of your muscles, providing extra "go go juice" at the muscle sites in the form of glycogen, water, and other ready fast nutrients needed for explosive muscle activity. After a couple of pounds this will level off and weight loss (fat loss) will continue.
  • nauti2012
    Options
    Invest in an HRM. They are awesome, and you don't have to guess at calories burned, because most of them record heart rate, calories burned,etc...

GOOD LUCK... :drinker:
  • Loubieburton
    Loubieburton Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Under cardio there is a weight training option
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    Invest in an HRM. They are awesome, and you don't have to guess at calories burned, because most of them record heart rate, calories burned,etc...

The HRM - Yes! Also I have added to ' my exercise' my own routine (Rilea's strength training) under cardio. I add the calories under under cardio, but still detail exercises under strength to track them. If I can't find the exercsie I do, I add it under 'my exercises' with my own defintion. It works for me.
  • tonkabella
    Options
    SHBoss.... thank you for that bit of knowledge... I would have panicked if I had got a gain and not known why... now I will relax thru it if it happens. :smile:

Love my HRM don't quite know how I managed with out it.

I did think about adding my own excercises...but wasn't sure where to add them... will stick them in Cardio Must again ask my trainer what the Tech name is for the other 2 excercises he did tell me but they have gone totally out of my head.... perhaps I need Brain Excercises aswell !!!:laugh:

Thank you all... nice to have help out there.
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options

The HRM - Yes! Also I have added to ' my exercise' my own routine (Rilea's strength training) under cardio. I add the calories under under cardio, but still detail exercises under strength to track them. If I can't find the exercsie I do, I add it under 'my exercises' with my own defintion. It works for me.

Ditto, tho at the moment i use MFPs cardio listing for strength training and detail what I've done under strength as Rilea does. I have an HRM that I will start using as soon as i figure it all out LOL Just been too busy to read and fuss with it.
  • tonkabella
    Options
    Thank you everyone you have been a great help... Happy Fitness !!!:happy: