Toning Tips-

Options
I need help. Since I've been losing the weight, I do notice that my tummy, thighs and legs have been shrinking. However, it also seems like the arms won't cooperate with everything else. I have been lifting weights, and doing my 100 reps of arm rows everyday; still, I havn't seen any changes. I do want them to look lean and toned. Any tips?

Replies

• Joannie30
    Joannie30 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Just have patience. It'll happen.

Also drink loads of water, cut down on caffiene andexfoliate/massage daily to promote lymphatic drainage.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Just need to keep eating in a calorie deficit..and eventually they will shrink.

Also, 100 reps of Arm rows is a bit ridiculous. Drop the reps, drop the weight, and mix up the arm exercises.
  • ningggsm
    Options

Also, 100 reps of Arm rows is a bit ridiculous. Drop the reps, drop the weight, and mix up the arm exercises.

Lmfao, isn't it? They kill me. Anyway, if you don't mind me asking- when you say mix up the arm exercises; what kind of arm exercises? Don't know much exepting for lifting :P
  • mogletdeluxe
    mogletdeluxe Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    First of all, congratulations on your achievement.

Second of all, what weight are you lifting?
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

I think you mean drop the reps and INCREASE the weight.
  • Csitri
    Csitri Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    bump would like to know answers too
  • ningggsm
    Options

Okay, that's more of what I was thinking. Thank you :)
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    can i ask a add on question here please too... :blushing:

How long before it starts to build muscle? if you do the wieghts daily?
  • dad106
    Options

That is what I meant.. Thank you!

To OP:
    As far as mixing up arm exercises, you can do rows, tri-cep extensions, bi-cep curls to name a few... google Arm exercises and you'll find a ton.
  • ningggsm
    Options

Thank you so much :) Well, I'm weak... even weaker in my left arm. Lol. I use 10lb weights when doing arm rows; and try for a 20lb weight when doing bicep curls.
  • yksdoris
    yksdoris Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Just have patience. It'll happen.

Also drink loads of water, cut down on caffiene andexfoliate/massage daily to promote lymphatic drainage.

ooh, the massage is a good idea! I have problems with big arms too but lately have been paying more attention to my legs, calves to be more exact because in the summer they sometimes cramped in the middle of the night. So, I've been doing more calf excercises combined with thorough stretching and a massage after the workout, more to improve the blood circulation than for toning but amazingly enough I can totally see the difference! The massage though, after the workout... sometimes it hurts so bad it makes me dizzy and nauseated, I really feel like throwing up. I know that sometimes happens when the poisons your body has collected are released, I just never knew my calves stored ALL of the poison, ever...

I've now just (=Tuesday. I'm still sore) gotten a new workout schedule that focuses more on the arms again but I think I'll try massaging my arms as well, maybe that will help some.
  • 75in2013
    75in2013 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Hi. Saw your success pics. You look awesome. I think you took them down now, no? Anyway.

In order to get "toned" you need to drop body fat. So keep eating at a calorie deficit. Be patient. It'll take time!

Lifting is great. If you need ideas for workouts check this link:
    http://www.muscleandstrength.com/exercises/main.html

Why are you doing rows? Any rows that I know mostly train the middle back, lats etc. Not really arm exercises?!
  • dad106
    Options

Well for one, you shouldn't be doing weights daily (If you are doing a full body program... Split body programs are a different story)... each muscle group needs at least a 24 hr rest period between workouts.

Two, you don't build muscle in a calorie deficit.. you need a surplus of calories before you can build muscle. Even then, for a female, it's quite hard to build muscle as we don't have the hormones for it.
  • ningggsm
    Options

That I wouldn't know :huh: Lol.
    We can wait for someone else to answer that question for us ^_^
  • erickirb
    Options

If you are on a caloric deficit you will not gain any significant amount of muscle. Even in a surplus you would be lucky to add 2 lbs of muscle/month.

The reason you lift while dieting is to ensure that the weight you lose is mainly fat. If you don't do strength training then a large % of your wight loss will be lean muscle.

And for the daily working out, just don't do the same muscle group on back to back days, recovery typically takes 48hours, so if you work a muscle group Monday, don't work it again until Wednesday at the earliest.
  • 75in2013
    75in2013 Posts: 361 Member
    Options

It's very difficult to lose weight and gain muscle at the same time. It's much easier to gain muscle mass when eating at a surplus and then cutting down (while trying to not lose too much lean body mass).

If you don't have a scale that shows your lean body mass (or BF%) it's difficult to judge if you are gaining muscle or not. Especially while you are still learning technique.
  • erickirb
    Options

Thank you so much :) Well, I'm weak... even weaker in my left arm. Lol. I use 10lb weights when doing arm rows; and try for a 20lb weight when doing bicep curls.

This surprises me as rows work your Back, which is much stronger than a bicep. I typically curl 40lb dumbbells but can row with 70lb dumbbells for the same amount of reps.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    If you are going to work bi/tri then I would also suggest shoulders, chest, and back...they are all connected and it will reduce your overall risk of injury to build the supportive muscles at the same time.
  • ningggsm
    Options
    Hi. Saw your success pics. You look awesome. I think you took them down now, no? Anyway.

In order to get "toned" you need to drop body fat. So keep eating at a calorie deficit. Be patient. It'll take time!

Lifting is great. If you need ideas for workouts check this link:
    http://www.muscleandstrength.com/exercises/main.html

Why are you doing rows? Any rows that I know mostly train the middle back, lats etc. Not really arm exercises?!

Aw, thank you so much :) I really appreciate it. And no, I havn't taken it down. It's probably just lost somewhere inbetween the old and new forums. Everyone on MFP is so supportive, I love it. Really am thankful for all of it.

Anyway, why am I doing arm rows? Hah, I have no clue. I think I read somewhere that it was a good exercise for the arm. Bleh. And thanks for the link btw :)
  • yksdoris
    yksdoris Posts: 327 Member
    Options

Lmfao, isn't it? They kill me. Anyway, if you don't mind me asking- when you say mix up the arm exercises; what kind of arm exercises? Don't know much exepting for lifting :P

Push-ups are good because they do your chest, back and arms all at the same time. You can also do... eh, I don't know the actual name of the excercise now but for the triceps: find a bench or table and with your back to it, hold on to the table, then lower yourself using only your arms, then up again.

Or, using a dumbbell: starting position is with the dumbbell at shoulder, simply lift it straight up. God, those used to kill me... But in hindsight they helped quite a bit with the weightloss-boob-sag as well as the arms and shoulders.