First day Fasting

Options
Im trying to "fast" today. I've limited myself to 800 calories for the day. Im not doing it as a diet fad thing, but so as to force myself to try and avoid snacking. So far its going ok other than the below.

1. Im thinking more about food as Im trying to resist snacking. (Its easier if Im busy at work)

2. The person who sits opposite me has brought in £20-30 worth of sweets and stuck them on the cabinet at the end of her desk so they are all right in my line of sight over the top of my monitor grrrrr

3. When I do this again I'm going to have to change my usual daily coffee fix from a Latte to an American with milk.

4. Im not feeling hungry, just trying to resist the urge to keep myself busy by eating.

Any hints, tips, advice ?

Replies

• beckssmith70
    Options
    Drink loads of water to fill you and make sure you look smugly every sip at the person that eats sweets, and tut loudly when anyone takes one :P
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Fasting is brutal.... staying busy and drinking lots of fluid helped me. But my bigger question is why are you only eating 800 calories?
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    Are you doing this because you came up with the idea on your own? Normally it's 600 cals max for a guy on fasting days and there's 3 styles all perfectly healthy. First is the 16 hour fast or basically eating one large meal a day. There's the 5:2 fast in which you fast 2 days a week and the last one is alternate day fasting. Link below to learn more.

Here's the intermittent fasting group.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/66-intermittent-fasting
  • butterflyqueen1984
    Options
    I know how you feel with work colleagues 'just leaving sweets around' this website keeps me distracted through my lunch break. If I keep thinking I want something I just keep drinking water, it normally helps! Good luck
  • Echo_Dan
    Echo_Dan Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Why the 800......well Im trying to ease myself in to eat. Im not going for a full and proper fast, at least not to begin with. Im trying to break my cycle of snacking. And by severely limiting my calorie intake for a day or two a week then I can mentally train myself not to snack.

I gave up smoking 5 years ago and I've snacked ever since. Any time Im bored and I would have gone for a cigarette I "treat myself". I stopped outright when I gave up smoking. Worst 2 days of my life at that point. But I know I can't do the same with snacking.

The person who brings in the snacks doesn't eat them herself. She did at one point bring them in EVERY day. But one of our more health concious colleagues told her quite loudly to pack it in. Now she does it once per week instead. It still takes the entire department a week to get through them all though.
  • Echo_Dan
    Options
    Oh I've been having diet coke.......its helped me feel full up, and at the same time "feels" like a sneaky "treat" :)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Oh I've been having diet coke.......its helped me feel full up, and at the same time "feels" like a sneaky "treat" :)

Just to give you a heads up, generally speaking, diet drinks have chemicals that induce hunger which might make it harder.
  • discoqueen73
    Options
    I know the feeling - someone has just bought my a box of chocs to say thanks for helping her out last week...........I wanted to scream! Lovely thought but since I am only 3 days into my diet, I am trying to stay on the wagon!

Have put them in a central position and am watching everyone else eat them whilst mentally imaginng my new svelte self in a bikini next year! :laugh:

Only advice I have is stay busy, drinks loads of water and also watermelon is very filling :wink:
  • Echo_Dan
    Options

Just to give you a heads up, generally speaking, diet drinks have chemicals that induce hunger which might make it harder.

AAARRGGHHHHHHHHH lol

I've been very good and I've resisted all of the chocolates. just 1 hour and 20 minutes to go now :D
  • witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I've recently started the leangains thing and doing 16 hour fast followed by 8 hour where I eat (two big healthy meals and sometimes snacks). I find drinking hot drinks really help and lots of water. You could have fizzy water and maybe that would make you feel fuller like the coke? If you don't mind the sweeteners you could add some sugar free cordial if you have it there (I'm in uk so don't know what you have).

I drink green tea too, I have heard all sorts of good things about it but the one thing it definitely does for me is reduce my appretite for a little while.

Good luck!
  • K_Train450
    K_Train450 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    You are NOT fasting. Anything generally over 50 Kcal a day is not a fast but severe calorie restriction. This is not healthy at all. If you wanna fast, then do it. Research Intermittent Fasting, its a great way of life.
  • Echo_Dan
    Options
    I've recently started the leangains thing and doing 16 hour fast followed by 8 hour where I eat (two big healthy meals and sometimes snacks). I find drinking hot drinks really help and lots of water. You could have fizzy water and maybe that would make you feel fuller like the coke? If you don't mind the sweeteners you could add some sugar free cordial if you have it there (I'm in uk so don't know what you have).

I drink green tea too, I have heard all sorts of good things about it but the one thing it definitely does for me is reduce my appretite for a little while.

Good luck!

Im in Blighty too :) Im not a fan of the squashes and cordials, they always taste overly sweet to me. I've tried green tea but I don't like the taste. Earl Grey I love and usually have a couple of cups of it a day. In fact I weaned myself off of constantly drinking coffee during the day by switching to tea. I still have one coffee a day though......I do work in IT, so its a requirement to have it lol