Why am I starving shorty after a meal?

Options
2»

Replies

• chickentunashake
    chickentunashake Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    You need to try to eat more protein and less carbs. The protein will make you feel fool, where low carbs will not spike your insulin levels. If you eat vegetables, try to stick with green vegetables, they are the healthiest and don't have no starch, which spikes insulin again. Carrots are not too recommend if you have problem with hunger. Try broccoli or cauliflower instead
  • running_shoe
    running_shoe Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    1400 calories is the suggestion that MFP gave me for my weight and losing 1.5 lbs a week, I rarely lose that, in fact I havent lost a lb in a month :(

i also have my activity level set to low, because i spend a lot of time at the computer most days, maybe i need to up it a level

I plateaued at 1400 as well. I just changed my goal to .5 per week instead of 1 lb per week and it gave me an extra couple hundred calories. Then my weight loss started again, and I'm losing at least .5 per week. I'm really not in a hurry to lose, and I REALLY appreciate the extra calories.
  • sundaysurf
    sundaysurf Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    This is only my experience with myself but maybe it will help you. Whenever I start a new exercise program or increase my intensity of a certain workout I am hungry because my metabolism is kicking it to gear and I am burning more calories. During those time I TRY to refuel with healthy items (doesn't always happen, but I try). Being aware of why you are hungry will help you with your food choices. If you are hungry after a meal, look at what you ate and maybe you need more protein, fat or carbs.

Good Luck!
  • chickentunashake
    chickentunashake Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    You're not eating enough carbs. On days that I eat low carb, I get hungry sooner after a meal. Add in some whole wheat toast or wild rice into your meals and see if that helps.
    Completely disagree. I am a chronic low carb eater, couple of times a week in ketosis to stay ripped, and I'm not hungry even with extensive cardio and weight lifting. If you eat enough protein, your body will use it for energy instead of carbs, which turns into sugar and then into fat
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    1) Are you eating sugar - this can wobble your blood sugar and cause it to drop. Your brain naturally responds to this by feeling hungry.

2) Are you eating enough fibre - this bulks up and can make you feel more full for longer

3) are you drinking enough water - our brains can get confused and interpret dehydration with hunger (it also fills your tummy up :-)

4) are you getting enough variety (Sounds like it but...) your brain is very clever detecting your body hasn't got enough of something and will instruct you to go eat - perhaps try multivitamins

5) I would also recommend (as something that works for me) - do plenty of medium-high cardio. This has the 2 fold benefit of burning loads of calories and suppressing appetite for a couple of hours.

6) are you getting enough sleep - your brain can respond to tiredness by saying 'give me energy'

Hope this was of some use, good luck with your journey :-)
  • Mark63
    Mark63 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    try eating more protein or more fiber foods. Both will make you feel fuller longer and drink water with them.
  • Lisasfit
    Options
    It could be your exercise? I know when I go hard I get hungrier faster. I do pretty hard cardio and lift heavier, so I have been finding about 2-3 hours after I eat, I am hungry again. Just eat smart when you do, lots of veggies and fruits, I have been eating radishes and celery as a snack. Or hard boiled egg. Make sure you eat a good breakfast as well. Steel oats are great as a snack or meal also! :)
  • BarbellBlondieRuns
    Options
    Here is a neat article with 25 foods/beverages that are natural appetite suppressants. Most days I don't have a huge appetite and as I read through the list I saw that I already base my diet around most of these foods. So apparently they work! :)

http://www.shape.com/healthy-eating/diet-tips/top-25-natural-appetite-suppressants
  • minizebu
    minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    You may need to shift your calories to better match your energy expenditure.

When I saw a dietician she interviewed me about my eating and exercising habits. I was expecting that she would give me a very specific eating plan. Instead she drew a graph for me showing when I was expending most of my energy and when I was taking in most of my calories. It turns out that I was expending most of my energy in the first half of the day, but eating most of my calories in the second half of the day.

I used to skip breakfast and eat a Lean Cuisine for lunch, but she actually encouraged me to eat MORE food in the morning and for lunch. I used to graze all afternoon and into the evening. She asked me to shift when I ate to better match when I expended the most energy. (I exercise in the late morning.)

Also, she suggested that I make sure to always have some protein when I eat carbohydrates. Eating carbohydrates by themselves gives your body a quick blood sugar fix, but that is followed by a resulting drop in blood sugar an hour or so later. Then you are hungry again. If you pair protein with the carbohydrate, then you get the quick fix, but the protein takes longer to digest and results in longer satiation.

My three biggest take aways from the dietician visit:

1) Match timing of calorie intake to timing of energy output.
    2) Always pair protein with carbohydrate.
    3) Use the plate method for lunch and dinner (1/4 protein, 1/4 starch, 1/2 non-starchy vegetables).

I'm not a diabetic, but this is what dieticians teach diabetics to do to control their blood sugar and manage their weight.

I no longer binge in the afternoons, and I find that I'm usually not hungry between meals. But, if I am, I go ahead and snack. I just make sure that I include protein with the carbohydrates (crackers with cheese, or crackers with peanut butter, or almonds and grapes, etc.) Then I make sure to factor the calories from my snack into my overall eating plan for the day.

I hope this helps.
  • ALH1981
    ALH1981 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    the doctor on the rikki lake show today said this is a sign of a hormonal inbalance......