Its kindo hard to log in everything? :(

Options

Replies

• yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    You know what's hard? Managing your diabetes with medication because your insulin spikes with everything you eat. Know what else is hard? Seeing the pity and sometimes even disgust on other people's faces because you can't fit into a regular sized seat on the train. You know what else is hard? Having to use a seatbelt extender on a plane, or having to buy a second seat. You know what's even harder? Dying young because you never took charge of your health.

In the grand scheme of things, I log my food because it's the least hard of all of the alternatives.
  • nataliexxxx
    Options
    It gets easier log everything just before you eat it and get the app on your phone so you can do it when you go out:)
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    It gets easier and becomes routine/habit.

If you have trouble logging as you go, try logging the night before. I log my meals the night before then I know how much I have left over for snacks...although, sometimes I log the snacks too. It helps me know consistently where I am.

Sometimes I do things the day of. Like tonight for instance...I'm sick and I had planned to make something for dinner that takes a LOT of prep but now I'm thinking I may do something different...but usually its all in there the night before.
  • rainghirl
    rainghirl Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    It's easier on this site, I was using Fitday before and all the foods were American so I had to enter all my own items, it was really time consuming. This site is much more international and it doesn't take me nearly so long.
  • AMHouse85
    AMHouse85 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I noticed the past few days that loading the food search has been slower also. I read a post the other day about a server update MFP did over the weekend and that is why there are slow/lag issues. Just in case that is part of the time issue. I've been waiting almost 5 minutes for it to open so I can pre add some stuff today.

Other than that it does get easier, especially if you eat of the same variety often. I pretty much eat salads or eggs for lunch so they are right on the top of my recent foods list. No searching needed. I like to pre add things I know I will eat and then I add things either as I am eating them at dinner time or sit down later in the day and add it up. Give it some time and it will be 2nd nature.

Good luck!!
  • GinaBeana1121
    GinaBeana1121 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    It definitely gets easier with time. I log everything that I put In my mouth (I logged Advil the other day) if you have time to eat it you have time to log it!
  • Mama_Mila
    Mama_Mila Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    It is kindo hard :indifferent:
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    time to cowboy up
  • bleacheblonde
    Options
    It gets easier as you familiarize yourself with the site and once you develop a list of "recent" and "most used" foods. The "most used" list also helps you to see if you're getting into a bad habit...unfortunately I noticed that "Hy-vee Chinese" made it onto my most used list for lunches, which helped me to realize just how often I was resorting to that for lunch. It can be an eye-opener.
  • emmie0622
    emmie0622 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your kind words. :flowerforyou:

I just downloaded the app on my iPhone..and hope it will be convenient and easier now. :smile:

Awesome! The Iphone app will help you a lot - also remember once you have been doing it for a couple of weeks, you will have foods stored in your recents or you can copy from a certain date. If you eat the same meal make sure you record that as a meal too, it gets easier! you just need to build your data base up some!
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your kind words. :flowerforyou:

I just downloaded the app on my iPhone..and hope it will be convenient and easier now. :smile:

I know the barcode scanner is quicker but please make sure that what it scans as is correct with the packaging, there are LOTS of items that have incorrect nutritional values/completely different items when scanned. I'm a creature of habit so my foods are saved in the most used/recent items. This makes it a lot less time consuming. Also as others have said, it might be an idea to plan your days out when possible when you have a bit of free time. I've been known to plan my diary out two days in advance on my phone in bed before I go to sleep (don't know how deranged this makes me :blushing: ) Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    It definitely gets a lot easier with practice. Pre-logging the night before is also helpful.
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    It gets easier once you get used to it. Also, if you pre-make any meals you can log ahead of time. Sometimes when I'm making the next day's lunch, I'll log it as I make it so I don't have to take the time to do it at work. I do the opposite too- if I have an unplanned snack or meal, I sometimes just write down what I had so I can log it later when I have more time (always write it though since you might not remember by the end of the day). For anything you make regularly, you can create it as a recipe too- then the next time to make it, rather than having to log each component all over again, you can select a serving of your saved recipe. I also use both the website version and the app, so I can log on the go as well as at home or work.

If you think about it, it doesn't take a whole LOT of time- a few minutes here and there- inconvenient sometimes, but WAY worth it since it will seriously help you with your goals. :smile:
  • cheree1969
    cheree1969 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of the same things every day. So for me. its pretty easy/
  • cior
    cior Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    It gets easier. Plus if you eat a lot of the same things often, you can add it to your foods and recipes, and sometimes it is just a click, click and done! LOL I hope that helps
  • SheilaN1976
    SheilaN1976 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    it takes a little to get used to but i also downloaded their free app on my cell so that i dont have to have access to a computer to log food and exercise! and that has actually made it easier for me.
  • melb2003
    Options
    It really does get easier. The more you log, if you click the most used or recent tab, you can usually find what you normally eat under there. I'm the type of person that I eat pretty much the same all throughout the week. So only when I have out of the ordinary things, it takes a little time to look them up. Also, if you have a smartphone or tablet, the barcode scanner on there works wonders. When I'm on the run and grab something quick, the barcode scanner is the best tool.

Good luck!
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    You know what's hard? Managing your diabetes with medication because your insulin spikes with everything you eat. Know what else is hard? Seeing the pity and sometimes even disgust on other people's faces because you can't fit into a regular sized seat on the train. You know what else is hard? Having to use a seatbelt extender on a plane, or having to buy a second seat. You know what's even harder? Dying young because you never took charge of your health.

In the grand scheme of things, I log my food because it's the least hard of all of the alternatives.

THIS^^

I pre-log breakfast and lunch. My breakfast is a 'meal' so I just have 1 button and some teeny adjustments to account for extra fruit or whatever. My lunch is also a 'meal' with the same adjustments. Snacks are all under 'recent' I guess it just depends on how much variety you eat . I tend to be a very predictable eater for my breakfasts and lunches so its easy. For dinner I will either create recipes / meals or just log everything separate.
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    The interface may take time to get used to, depending on what you do. Myself, I do a lot of cooking, but sometimes it's just better to "quick add" the calories from the recipe that I'm trying out (if I know them) and then I only enter recipies I know I'll be using more often. But that ability to go out, eat something, and then come back and log what I ate without having to memorize the nutritional information is very helpful. (They do have entries for things like the popcorn at the AMC Movies Theaters or Outback Steakhouse.)

Something that also makes it easier to deal with the process is the occasional "bonus". Just like watching your financial budget can tell you when you've got extra money you can spend, occasionally you'll find that you still have calories left that you can eat. I've already had instances where, instead of having to say "I'm trying to eat right, so I can't have that cookie," I actually found out I COULD eat that cookie because I hadn't consumed my alloted calories and it would fit in the limit.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Yup, it does get easier. I'm a big planner/list maker anyway, so I didn't have that hard of a time. I log everything, except maybe snacks, the night before while I make my lunch for the next day. For the most part I always stick with the plan. It helps me to see how many calories I have to work with too. In the past I would just log as I ate, but I'd end up going over, because something I cooked had more calories than I thought.