lunchmeat

Options
I have been reading a lot about staying away from processed food. Is there any lunchmeat that is not processed? May be a stupid question but sandwiches are an easy lunch for me and my dayghter. Thanks!

Replies

• LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Yes, lunchmeant is considered processed food.

But, if you find it's convienent and fits into your goals and you are successful with your current eating habits, why change it?

If you do want other options, go for lower sodium lunch meat or cook a roast once a week and use that as meat for your sandwiches.

Just make as many healthy choices as is possible and reasonable and be moderate with the things that maybe aren't so great for you.

Good luck!
  • samlankford
    Options
    I don't eat lunch meat very much at all because of the sodium but when I do it is rare roast beef or a very low salt turkey...
  • Whart0603
    Whart0603 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    You could also get some sliced turkey or a variety of other meats from your grocers deli.
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I don't even bother with lunch meats unless its the super premium types like Boar's Head, Black Bear, or Thumans.

I know Boar's head has alot of Low Sodium cuts of meats and cheese now of days.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I generally like to stay away from processed foods as well but I do indulge in deli meat a couple of times a week. I really like Boar's Head lower sodium chicken breast and turkey breast. I find it to be healthier and less sodium than most.
  • momtokgo
    momtokgo Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    You can buy some lunchmeats that are less proccessed then others, but they are all processed in the end. Obviously turkey is going to be a better choice then balogna through.

You can also make your own roast/turkey breast/chicken breast etc and use that for her sandwiches if you realy want un-proccessed choices.
  • novalh42
    novalh42 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great info and tips!