so proud of myself but....

Options
missjewl
missjewl Posts: 214 Member
My jeans were getting way too big, my smallest size i had was a 10. So on the weekend i went to Old Navy and picked out 2 new pairs of jeans ... size 8... I didnt try them on just bought them. When i got home tried them on. One pair fit perfectly...YAY! The other pair... well i got them up but couldnt do them up :( Why do they do that to us? A size should be the same no matter what ugh. To fit into the other pair i need to lose at least 2 inches around the waist so disappointing. My goal is to fit into them.

Anyone else hate that sizes arent the same everywhere you shop?How do you base your sizing? Some stores I'm a medium or an 8 and others I'm a large or 10... What the heck is up with that?

Replies

• CyeRyn
    CyeRyn Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Yes it annoys me a great deal. I have a couple size 7/8's that I can fit into perfectly and then a few more that are the "same size" that I can't even get my butt into. Then I have some size 9/10's and 11's that I can't even get into. It just makes me go cross-eyed just thinking about it. Lol. I hate that I have to try on every single pair of pants before buying them just to make sure they fit right.
  • MizCJ84
    MizCJ84 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    YES! This is soooo frustrating. I have learned this lesson the hard way several times. Thinking I can just walk into a store, pick something off the rack and it'll fit perfectly when I try it on at home...Only to find out it's too tight :explode: Now that I'm losing weight, I always make sure to try clothes on at the store to ensure I don't buy anything that will not fit. I hate that sizes run differently depending on the manufacturer. I have also learned which sizes fit best at each store I usually shop. I have never fit nicely into a pair of Old Navy jeans. I don't buy them EVER.
  • Wabbit05
    Wabbit05 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I bought a pair of 9s that fit perfectly so I grabbed another pair is another color. Super tight! I was so frustrated! Trying to make it so I fit the the second pair comfortably.
  • apriltrainer
    apriltrainer Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Well I finally got into a pair of size...ta da.. 0's last week. But i have my doubts it's really a size 0, because they fit me EXACTLY like my size 2's. I think some companies do that to make people feel better. I also wish they wouldn't do that.

Because I am happy to be a size 2. I also have some size 4's that i save for when my monthly friend comes to visit and need a lil extra wiggle room. But one of those size 4's fits the same as my size 2!

GRR!!!

Despite that, I was a very TIGHT 8/9 in May, as well as a size 10. Three different sizes. Each fit me exactly the same.

So did I actually change more than I thought?Or did me thinking I was in size 8 when I was really a 10 from Jan to May make me too comfortable? Anyways, am also proud of myself too but I might be prouder if I knew I was a 10 originally. Just makes for a better weight loss story I suppose than dropping from a size 8!
  • apriltrainer
    apriltrainer Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    YES! This is soooo frustrating. I have learned this lesson the hard way several times. Thinking I can just walk into a store, pick something off the rack and it'll fit perfectly when I try it on at home...Only to find out it's too tight :explode: Now that I'm losing weight, I always make sure to try clothes on at the store to ensure I don't buy anything that will not fit. I hate that sizes run differently depending on the manufacturer. I have also learned which sizes fit best at each store I usually shop. I have never fit nicely into a pair of Old Navy jeans. I don't buy them EVER.

Same here! Old Navy jeans don't look right on me at all.

The best pair i EVER bought, I got at a thrift store for $3.00. Can't remember the brand...but they fit fabulously.
  • LovelyVegetarian
    LovelyVegetarian Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Oh yessss, totally agree!!!!

Last week I bought a pair of size 10 jeans and then another pair of size 10 red jeans. The normal blue jeans are baggy on me (which is shocking) and the red ones did not do up!!!! Return. I don't sweat it. I judge my weight-loss by the clothse I currently own. I think I'm a solid size 10 (or a Medium in tops) but it definitely depends on the brand.

I find that with my kids' clothes too. Some places just fit small. I agree, it should all be uniform!
  • amycb03
    amycb03 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Old Navy is the worst for me with their sizing! All of my jeans in my closet are a size 8....with the exception of 4 pairs from Old Navy- they are a 12. Funny thing is that their workout capris I own are a Small. SMH.
  • KimmyEB
    KimmyEB Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    My jeans were getting way too big, my smallest size i had was a 10. So on the weekend i went to Old Navy and picked out 2 new pairs of jeans ... size 8... I didnt try them on just bought them. When i got home tried them on. One pair fit perfectly...YAY! The other pair... well i got them up but couldnt do them up :( Why do they do that to us? A size should be the same no matter what ugh. To fit into the other pair i need to lose at least 2 inches around the waist so disappointing. My goal is to fit into them.

Anyone else hate that sizes arent the same everywhere you shop?How do you base your sizing? Some stores I'm a medium or an 8 and others I'm a large or 10... What the heck is up with that?

Not all jeans are created equally. Was one pair a "hip hugger" style? Was one more high-waisted? These can make sizes vary greatly.
  • Lidenbrock
    Options
    Yup this really annoys me too. I can go shopping almost anywhere for the hubby and the cloths always fit. Do the same for me - and well most go back. Why can woman's sizes (and for that matter materials - don't get me on my soapbox!) be the same?
  • Sloth_TurtleGirl
    Sloth_TurtleGirl Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    IMHO Chic jeans were the best jeans ever made, at least for my shape. I used to buy them at Hills. Unfortunately, Hills is gone and I never see them anywhere. But, to be honest I don't shop for jeans in department stores anymore because I let myself get to large. One of my goals is to get back into regular sizes. Hopefully, I'll find some Chic jeans when I do!
  • nmterp
    Options
    You always have to try on sizes at Old Navy. I complained about this once to my aunt and she gave me some insight into how clothes are made. The fabric is stacked and cut in mass, so depending on where it is in the stack, it will be dead-on accurate, or could be bigger/smaller. Old Navy mass produces clothes in order to make them cheaper, so I'd imagine they use pretty big stacks of fabric, which would account for the variety of fits within one size.
  • JenniBaby85
    JenniBaby85 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Drives. Me. Crazy! I haaaaaaate being a size 8 in one pair and a size 13 in another :tongue:. It's even worse when it's from the same stinking store! :mad:
  • emsicle_o
    emsicle_o Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Lol. I went into a shop when I was a teen and picked out a size 10 and size 12 jeans to try on. Neither fitted. I thought that's strange. Picked up a 14. Didn't fit. Picked up a 16...didn't fit! Then I just got angry and left the shop! At the time I was a perfect 10 in every other place!
  • Michelle81285
    Options
    This is so annoying! I have two pairs of Miss Me jeans and they are the SAME size and one fits perfect and the other one I have to lay down on the bed and suck it in to button it up and I can't breathe in them! It is so annoying that every style even if they are the same BRAND run differently!
  • maddiec1989
    maddiec1989 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I wear an 8 in most stores. grabbed a pair of 8's in these one pair of jeans, tried them on and they were way too big but I liked them, so I just bought the 6 without trying them on. When I got home and put them on, they were too big!! lol so I went back and got the 4s which fit perfectly, but what the hell? I know I'm not a 4. I, too, am severely annoyed by the lack of consistency in jean sizes.
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Yes it's annoying that there are no standards or consistency around sizing.
  • KaidaKantri
    Options
    I have an awful time trying to find a pair of pants. If they are the right size around the waist they are ALWAYS too long. There is only 1 place, maurices, in the mall that I've found if I get the short jeans, they fit right. But their jeans are expensive :( Last a long time though.
  • morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    Old Navy has several different styles. I always try mine on before I leave the store!
  • hiker359
    hiker359 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    The rule is, especially for women with all your different shapes, don't buy it without trying it on. Even I've found that sizes aren't standard as a guy, so I'm more prone to at least try them on before I buy since every clothing maker has a different method of measuring.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!