Protein!! my diary says i have too much.

I am having trouble with protein.Everyday i do my diary but everyday i am under calories and over on the protein.Any tips and how to lower it.I am hardly having enough meat and fish as it is!!

Many thanks.......a very frustrated calorie counter

Replies

• CantarellaMiyani
    CantarellaMiyani Posts: 91 Member
    MFP's protein macro is notoriously to low - many people say to treat their number as a minimum, not a maximum. You can also adjust your macros in the goals section, so that if you want to do high protein, lower carb, you can cause your numbers to reflect that.

I can't see your diary, but unless you're being ridiculous with the protein, there probably isn't reason to lower it. Just set MFP to reflect your own goals.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    MFP's default protein goal is set too low for most people. Keep doing what you're doing and don't worry if that's the only thing you're going over on.
  • You can use the equation 0.8-1.5 x body weight and that is the number of grams of protein you should have. And yes I agree mine is also way below what I should have in a day.

The 0.8 is if you are not getting much exercise and up to 1.5 is very active! And remember most women do not eat enough protein!!
  • aamberrr
    aamberrr Posts: 115 Member
    What everyone has said so far is definitely true... I changed my protein/carb/fat goals on MFP so that they are closer to equal in percentages...

I'm just curious... about how much protein (in grams) are you eating? What foods are you eating that are high in protein if not meat? The reason I ask is because I lift, and in order to lose fat without losing muscle, I'm trying to eat 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body mass (for me this is 135 g per day)... without eating meat (which I eat a lot lol), I don't think I could even get close to that goal.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    MFP's protein macro is notoriously to low - many people say to treat their number as a minimum, not a maximum. You can also adjust your macros in the goals section, so that if you want to do high protein, lower carb, you can cause your numbers to reflect that.

This.

Unless you're talking 300-400g per day, or have kidney issues, you're fine.
  • Kallie3000
    Kallie3000 Posts: 33 Member
    How do you change your protien goals? I would like to do that, because I am trying to follow a more lean-for-life, body-for-life program of mainly lean protiens, vegetables, and low carbs.
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    How do you change your protien goals? I would like to do that, because I am trying to follow a more lean-for-life, body-for-life program of mainly lean protiens, vegetables, and low carbs.

Goals, Change, Custom...
  • Thanks everyone xx
  • holly1283
    holly1283 Posts: 741 Member
    I really don't care if my protein is over. Mine is amost everyday. It does bother me if I'm over on cals though. As the other posts commented MFPis low.
  • MFP says I should have 67g of protein, that is WAY to low, I usually eat around 120-150g, protein feeds your muscles and my muscles are hungry.
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    I am having trouble with protein.Everyday i do my diary but everyday i am under calories and over on the protein.Any tips and how to lower it.I am hardly having enough meat and fish as it is!!

Many thanks.......a very frustrated calorie counter

I looked at a few days and you're just fine with your protein! You could even eat more and be a-ok. :)
  • Thanks for taking a look xx