Vegetarians out there?

Options
Hi,
I am getting frustrated with everyone's tips on eating protein to keep you full etc. and am super jealous of all those people that have grilled chicken/turkey breast for dinner with their salad or whatever. I know we have tofu and fish and all that but is anyone else finding the high-protein diet changes challenging for vegetarians? I do eat veggie burgers and I do eat fish (don't judge but I love sardines) but it's just not as easy - especially when we go out. I do really enjoy protein bars (my new obsession is the Smart for Life bar).
I guess I'm half-venting and half-asking if anyone else is finding this a challenge. And yes I eat cheese and eggs. But then again, there's only so much cheese and eggs you know?

Replies

• myriahj84
    Options
    There are plenty of non-meat sources of protein. My personal favorite is quinoa. You can look at meatfreeathlete.com for recipe suggestions too.
  • HMToomey
    Options
    Have you tried beans? Couscous also has 6 grams protein per a cup. There is also nuts and nut butters. How low are you on protein at the end of the day?

This link may be of better use to you.
    http://veganproteins.com/where-do-vegans-get-protein.html

Hope that helps!
  • LovelyVegetarian
    LovelyVegetarian Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Oh yes, I adore quinoa - I like cooking big batches.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    If you want to get in lots of protein I would recommend you start eating meat
  • 321poppi
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian. I know what you mean about hearing all the "secrets" to losing a lot fast usually means eating crazy amounts of meat and poultry. It gets not only boring, but it's not helpful to my lifestyle. I eat eggs, so, I am not afraid to scramble of fry up an egg white or two at times when I feel like I need more protein. I also sometimes will whip up a smoothly with added protein powder. I eat tempeh, tofu and lots of legumes (chick peas are a staple and really easy to toss into a salad).
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    <--vAgEtArIaN here lol :laugh:
  • paperandink
    Options
    Vegan of several years here. I like proteins I can add to things I already eat, like putting flax in my oatmeal and smoothies, or nutritional yeast in soups and sandwich spreads. Tempeh and seitan are good alternatives to tofu in main dishes, if you're bored of or otherwise avoiding soy.

Have you tried Chunks of Energy? They're so addicting.
  • carocaro26
    carocaro26 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Morroccan spiced cous cous (this has chick peas in)Vegetable and bean chilli/Lentil and cheese loaf/Lentils (big green ones) cooked in veg stock with sun dried tomatoes and onion - delicious and very filling. Leek and Black/butter bean bake

We eat a mainly vegetarian diet and are always full but its easy to get into a food rut
  • bethainy
    Options
    Hi there,

I'm vegetarian, have been all my life, and I've been realizing that I'm often actually over my goal for daily protein. I eat a lot of whole grains. I also drink soy milk (usually just with cereal), eat beans, nut butters, eggs... even half an avocado has 11 grams!
  • LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    If you want to get in lots of protein I would recommend you start eating meat

Useful :angry:

I'm pescatarian and am usually over on protein by a fair amount. I eat a lot of fish, seafood, couscous and meat substitutes such as quorn.
  • LovelyVegetarian
    LovelyVegetarian Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips and also for acknowledging that it does get a bit frustrating :-)

I am a lacto-ovo vegetarian (for 20 years now).

I am meeting all my protein grams thanks in large part due to the protein bars I eat for breakfast. So I think overall I'm doing well - just mostly frustrating to be living a world of grilled chicken breast and other lean meat protein.

And also the challenge for me is that my family eats meat (husband and two young kids) - so I'm often eating separate meals an well, it's not always super fun.

And Mr. VAGetarian - hahaha! Funny!
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    Needs prep at first not to suffer from any defficiencies - especially vitamin b12 - but seaweeds are good for that (Royal Kombu and Miso) as for the rest : tempeh, Seitan, Tofu, Quinoa, Lentils (blond, corail, yellow, gree), wild rice (a bit less of proteins)
    I think people overestimate their needs in proteins, explaining why we see meat as a mandatory food, truth is, it's not
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    Beans
    Barley in soups
    Nuts
    Seeds
    Peas
    Soy products

Remember, variety is key! You need to combine different sources of proteins to get what you need.
  • lilmisfit
    lilmisfit Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Whey protein shakes? I usually have 1-2 per day, along with other non-meat protein sources. I'm a vegetarian and I don't have a problem getting enough protein. :smile:
  • leapinglizards86
    Options
    What is Quinoa? I've heard of it before, never tried it though.
  • Thinsposa
    Thinsposa Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Having been a vegetarian for 10 years and vegan for 1 I am always finding it hard to meet my daily quota of protein, HOWEVER, I recently found this product:
    http://www.sunwarrior.com/
    It really is fantastic, I feel like my body is thanking me for it.
    Good luck with it all! :)
  • tgood425
    Options
    It's a grain that is super nutritious. Kinda nutty flavored and great with anything. I find it at the grocery store Easy to make too. I would highly recommend trying it.:love::love:
  • leapinglizards86
    Options
    Thanks. I'll look for it the next time I go to the store.
  • RaayRaee1995
    Options
    I've been a veggg for about 3 years and at first it was SO hard to feel full. Now I eat hard boiled eggs from trader joes, and almond butter, peanut butter, think thin bars, almonds, tofu, and black beans occasionally. You just have to find what you like and what works for you. Finding protein isn't as hard as it seems. Meat isn't the only source!:tongue:
  • lizphantom
    Options
    I am a vegetarian and never go hungry! I eat veggies ALL DAY. It seems like I have to eat a lot throughout the day, but that's actually better for your body. Graizin like an animal! I just made a super filling meal of aloo paneer bread topped with diced veggies, sauteed in safflower oil. i ate a banana on the side, and i'm full! the meal was 385 calories of deliciousness.

Also, lentils, beans, and other legumes are super filling and protein heavy. They're actually more fulfilling because they have tons of fiber, too! Way better than nasty dead carcass protein! Don't forget that vegetables have protein, too!

Best wishes! Feel free to add me, fellow veg-head. :)