Exercise with joint pain ideas??

Options
Hey all, I am 46, female, and trying to lose some wt. I am 5 feet 7 inches and weigh 151 pounds and despite being at or below my 1300 cal/day plan for over a month now I have lost -- ta da! -- less than a pound.

When I was younger I was active with jogging and tennis and whatever. Then as I've aged it's like my skeleton is falling apart. I have chronic ankle, knee, hip, elbow, shoulder, wrist, and even finger pain. I've been to docs and they all say nothing is wrong - but it's taken its toll on me mentally and physically.

I walk my dog every morning for at least 30 minutes and sometimes longer. I have a mini trampoline and I can handle 15 minutes of that every other day. I cannot run or use a bicycle or even walk too quickly.

Does anyone know of an exercise (btw, I have no access to a pool, although that would be great) that I could do on a regular basis that will burn calories and not require a morphine drip? Any advice is appreciated.

Jennifer ^__^

Replies

• icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about one of the active video games like Wii Fit or Kinnect?

I bought the Wii Fit 2 years ago and it really helped me to start moving. I still use it - I played Wii tennis last weekend and burned off 250 calories. I also do some of the Wii Fit games like Step and the Obstacle Course. It gives me a decent workout (not great, but decent) and it's FUN!
  • blisterpeanuts
    blisterpeanuts Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could go to a local gym and try their various cardio machines as well as weight bearing machines (Nautilus or equivalent). If you don't have a membership, some places will give you a courtesy pass for a day to try it out. It's possible there are some things you can do (elliptical machine? treadmill? cardio class?) that won't stress your joints too much.

The nice thing about Nautilus is that you can start small and increase the workout very gradually over a period of months, steadily building up your musculature. The gym might have an in-house trainer who will work with you for a fee or perhaps a free-hour-for-new-members type of deal.

Also, I think you should consider consulting a different doctor because the problems you're describing don't sound like "nothing" to me.

best of luck,
    BP
  • RosaC773
    Options
    Piloxing is a great workout - it is a mix of pilates and boxing. I do piloxing at my gym, and the moves are not harsh on the joints.

Take a look at a couple of videos, so you can see what it is.

http://www.piloxing.com/about/
  • jungefrau
    jungefrau Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    The piloxing idea sounds good and I will take a look!

Re the weights: Fortunately I can lift weights and do a free weight routine every day (upper one day, bottom next day). I'm actually sorta taut except for the jelly over my belly.

I also have a Wii and have used that but I have found that even the tennis and bowling are too painful. I probably have some stupid autoimmune disease that is making me miserable. :-( I had frozen shoulders for almost 2 years and that makes stuff difficult.
  • MammaC66
    MammaC66 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I have a Gazelle Elliptical, and I can exercise on it with virtually no joint pain. It is a great workout, too.
  • OK_Girl
    OK_Girl Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    You sound JUST like me, are we related? I have arthritis in my spine, hips, knees and feet as well as ring and pinky fingers. I can walk, but if I walk too long, or too fast- pain town. I can walk 30-45 minutes, and it has been helping. I take breaks around 20 minutes, drink some water, then finish the walk.

You can look at my diary if you want to see what I am eating and doing for exercise.

I do Debra Mazda Shapely Girl aerobic tapes, sometimes I do the step ones too, although I did it on the floor w/o a step to begin with. her regular aerobics are good too. Many fitness and workout intensities to follow.

Are you wearing comfortable shoes? Stretching? Using heat? I take some pain killers before my walk, and I save a HOT shower for when I am done. It helps.
  • melbatoast917
    melbatoast917 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    When I first started, I had serious joint pain and arthritis in my knees. I started out on the Cybex recumbant. As I lost weight, I started to use the Arc trainer and the treadmill. Now that I've lost 70 pounds I have zero joint pain and am able to run. Don't give up. Work with what you have and find something that works.
  • edlybrook
    edlybrook Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I also use an elliptical...I have knee problems but I'm now up to an hour 3 times a week with no pain. Good luck!
  • Tempe729
    Tempe729 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Elliptical! Great cardio workout and little impact on joints :flowerforyou:
  • OK_Girl
    OK_Girl Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I agree. Peripheral joint pain is not normal. Unless your Dr has sent you to a rheumatologsist, who has done imaging, I would be asking for a referral. GP's aren't qualified to diagnose or RULE OUT autoimmune disorders. You could have rheumatoid, osteo, lupis, the list goes on. IF there is no mechanical reasons-osteophytes, etc- then look for inflammatory issues, asp if you have digestive issues as well.

Just my two cents from someone whos been there, done that for the last 20yrs
  • trackercasey76
    trackercasey76 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Swim!! It will help keep the pressure off from your joints and is GREAT exersize.
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    The problem with doctors and joint pain is that if they can't see it on an x-ray it doesn't exist. Most caused of joint pain are much more subtle than that and many times will only show up under an MRI or something similar.

recumbent bicycles are easier on the joints than the standard design. A good elliptical is pretty low impact. Tai Chi is another option. While many people scoff at it as an exercise it is excellent for toning, stretching and gently working muscles and joints. Some of the pilates equipment is pretty low impact *kitten* well.

I have similar issues with my body and deal with chronic pain.
  • Kimberbuzz
    Options
    It's so hard to keep exercising when you're in so much pain afterwards. I experience the same thing. I have gotten some relief using the elliptical, a rowing machine and the recumbent bike and like another poster I take pain relievers afterwards to relieve the inflammation. Good luck. Don't give up.
  • TurtleRunnerNC
    TurtleRunnerNC Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    I have hip & knee issues always. I have widedpread joint pain that comes & goes. When it comes it hangs for quite a while then will go away for a bit.

What has helped me the most was cutting my intake of processed sugars. I still eat them but no where near what I used to. I cut out soda completely. I might drink one once a month. Cut the sugar I put in my coffee in half. Cut the creamer I put in my coffee by 2/3. I can tell a huge difference if I go on a sugar bender (insert PMS here).

Being more active helps too.

2nd best thing - Yoga. I found a dvd on amazon called Viniyoga for lower back (I herniated a disc), sacram & hips (arthritis). It has also made a big difference. In fact I stopped doing it for 2 weeks & noticed a lot more hip pain so back to yoga this week.

Also, I take an Aleve every night before bed.

Also, you probably need to increase your calories. For your height & weight 1300 might be below your BMR, and you don't want that. Try scoobysworkshop.com & run your numbers there.

Hope this helps. I have also been tested for everything under the sun for my joint pain with no answers except Osteoarthritis in my hips for certain (mri). Feel free to friend me if you like.
  • Jkmumma
    Jkmumma Posts: 254
    Options
    Elliptical is less stressful on joints than walking. You can also set resistance/climb to whatever hurts the least. Stretching before and after helps. (I have arthritis all over, lots of swelling to go with it) Getting in better shape has helped lessen the arthritis pain, even if exercise hurts. Unfortunately there's a certain amount of "suck it up and deal with the pain" that comes with working out with arthritis.

Ask your doctor about condroitin and glucosomine... (I probably spelled that wrong and I'm too lazy to look it up) Ask your doctor if there's any reason you can't use motrin.

Motrin and heavy working out is risky, because you can injure yourself and not notice, but on a really bad day if you still want to get in a light work out...

Less sodium in my diet has helped with joint pain too... I DON'T have blood pressure issues, but cutting back on sodium has helped with joint swelling.

My favorite though: hatha yoga. It's the least intense form of yoga, and that helped A LOT with weight loss/strength/flexibility. I'm doing more intense yoga styles now, but it started with Hatha, and a lot of gyms offer classes as part of their fees.

Stronger muscles/less weight on joints/generally healthier all equals less joint pain. UNFORTUNATELY, to some extent, it has to hurt if it's to heal, you might just have to deal with some of the pain until you get there. Keeping swelling down will minimize the pain though.

MOST DAYS now I'm more ok... On cold days, I'm still downing prescription strength motrin before getting out of bed.

Motrin = ibuprofin = advil it's all the same thing. Advil just has a candy coating on some of their stuff. Generic works just as well, but tends not to be as nice to the stomach. Advil tends to be the gentlest on the stomach. My stomach doesn't care as long as it's not on an empty stomach.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I also have joint pain, especially knee pain. Lots of great ideas here. Piloxing sounds like a lot of fun. I love yoga. And I am weight lifting with some help from the book: "The New Rules of Lifting for Life". That book is for people that are older and/or who have had injuries. Biking is good for the knees. And walking (or elliptical).
  • Derpina7
    Derpina7 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I really like the elliptical, I had knee surgery a few years ago - it still acts up every now and then. It's less stressful on the joints.
    Another good option is swimming! AWESOME work out, and again, because you're in water saves the joints a little bit!
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    The piloxing idea sounds good and I will take a look!

Re the weights: Fortunately I can lift weights and do a free weight routine every day (upper one day, bottom next day). I'm actually sorta taut except for the jelly over my belly.

I also have a Wii and have used that but I have found that even the tennis and bowling are too painful. I probably have some stupid autoimmune disease that is making me miserable. :-( I had frozen shoulders for almost 2 years and that makes stuff difficult.

they have ruled out RA and other joint autoimmune diseases?

I have RA, i hurt 24/7, just in varying degrees. I cant do weights as it makes it worse, there are days walking to the couch from the bedroom feels like a 5 mile marathon. but resistence bands are helpful days i can do those, i try to walk to keep myself moving on days i can do that.

a pool at the ymca or local gym would be really helpful, if you can find a way to do that.
  • mskathyw
    mskathyw Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Sounds like yoiu might have fibrmyalgia.

Try water aerobics. The water takes the stress off of your joints and allows you to get a decent workout without the pounding on your joints. If you are not into group exercise just get in the pool and walk.
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    Try Yoga or Pilates.

I have hip and SI problems & have had 1 surgery, going on 2, and a messed up ankle. This has helped me a lot.
    Pilates might be a little intense, but take it slow, or try pilates mat work.

** Don't walk on an incline if on a treadmill, and avoid big natural inclines outdoors like big hills. Walking on the grass vs a hard surface helps me too and was told by my doctor that it was better for your joints.