Do you bicycle often?

Options
I am looking into buying a bike to ride a few times a week about 5-10 miles each ride. Can anyone who cycles often recommend a good bike to get?

Replies

• sassafrasy
    Options
    go to a specialty bike store...have them "fit you" into a bike that fits your needs. then go online and buy the bike cheaper. some folks have to have the newest thing on the market and revolve their bikes quickly. just a thought....Have fun!
  • andivaclavicek
    Options
    go to a specialty bike store...have them "fit you" into a bike that fits your needs. then go online and buy the bike cheaper. some folks have to have the newest thing on the market and revolve their bikes quickly. just a thought....Have fun!

^This is pretty good advice.

Me, I ride about 1-2 a week. I ride a heavy as heck single speed (the Schwinn "Cream" Cruiser). I LOVE it. I did buy mine at a bike shop, but on sale.

*edited for typo
  • Marmitegeoff
    Marmitegeoff Posts: 373 Member
    Options

Then buy the bike from them. The shop needs the sales to stay in business, and you will need them to service the bike every year. The service is usually cheaper if they sold you the bike.
  • plafleur76
    plafleur76 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Know any good websites for finding cheap, good used bikes like you refer to from people trading up?
  • runfreddyrun
    runfreddyrun Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    how much money do you have to spend? i have the trek 7.5 fx and i love it. i got it for about $600 on clearance. trek lists this as a road bike, but it doesn't have the drop bars, so it looks like a hybrid. trek calls this a 'fitness' bike. it's much lighter than a hybrid and has much thinner tires. as far as weight and tire thickness a road bike would be first (least heavy/thinnest tires), then a fitness bike, then hybrid, then mountain (heaviest/thickest tires).

i did a ton of research before buying and the 7.5 got amazing reviews. they also have women specific bikes, but mine is a men's. it can be ridden on the road or on packed dirt and gravel.

figure out how much you have to spend and then where you will primarily be riding the bike.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options

Then buy the bike from them. The shop needs the sales to stay in business, and you will need them to service the bike every year. The service is usually cheaper if they sold you the bike.

^THIS!!! Not to mention, if you buy it from them, they can fit the bike to you free of charge (If you just brought it in, you'll have to pay up $75 or so for a fitting). Without a proper fitting, you'll likely injure yourself riding the bike, and you won't be nearly as comfortable or efficient.
  • carriempls
    carriempls Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I recommend reading reviews and trying stuff out. at a shop as well.

I bought a bike used last summer for the first time (vintage '80s schwinn world tourist) and I love it for riding around town here and there, but now that I've tried out bikes made for longer rides I'm sick of my bike. My bf and I will often go on long rides (20+ miles) and it's just sooooo heavy for that. I'll be looking for a new one next spring.
  • Djvolz
    Options
    Go to your local bike shop. They often have used ones too if you aren't ready to commit to a newer more expensive bike. They will not only fit you for the type of bike that you are looking for, but will help fit it to you - seat adjustment, handlebars, etc. It will make a great deal of difference in your comfort and then you will bike more often. They can help recommend places, times, groups to bike with. Buying through a local shop helps your community and in the long run, they will be there to help you with your maintenance needs and support.
  • blackcoffeeandcherrypie
    Options
    I cycle every day on a ladies hybrid bike. I recommend hybrid bikes because they are good both on and off road. I would also advise you to get a ladies specific bike as I once bought a boy's small mountain bike and the proportions were so off, it was uncomfortable to ride. My bike is a Claud Butler ladies classic. For frame size, measure your inside leg minus about seven inches, that will give you the correct size bike for your height.
  • spiralz
    spiralz Posts: 4 Member
    Options

Definitely buy the bike from them, you will have a "face" to take it back to if any thing goes wrong, plus they are usually fairly competitive these days and some shops will price match including internet deals.

I ride 20 miles a day 4 days a week out of choice (company vehicle gets left at home) it keeps you very fit provided you work hard on the bike.
  • Mac247
    Options

Yah, cuz supporting your local economy and local businesses is stoopid. I'm sure the local bike store loves it when people come in and waste their employees' time getting 'fitted' to a bike they'll never purchase there.

Mac
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    Please, please, please buy the bike from a local shop if you can.

One thing people don't realize, is that the online prices aren't that much better, and most good bikes aren't available outside of a bike shop.

Know how to cut a steerer tube properly? Adjust the torque in your bottom bracket? Online retailers assume you do.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I don't know about bikes, but make sure you get padded pants or shorts or you will be very sorry!
  • Culley34
    Options
    As someone who helps out a small business owner-- if you're going to enlist their services, you really should buy the bike from them. Not to mention, you might quickly make up the difference in shipping the bike and the fact you'll have to assemble it. (Shipping is usually around ~$60 USD).

It would be different if we were talking about a television from Best Buy.

I would suggest a hybrid -- judging by the lengths of rides you want to complete and the flexibility you're looking for.

Make sure you get fitted for the bike as well <-- This cannot be understated. It is vital to enjoying time in the saddle.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

Yah, cuz supporting your local economy and local businesses is stoopid. I'm sure the local bike store loves it when people come in and waste their employees' time getting 'fitted' to a bike they'll never purchase there.

Mac

OMG. I see people on this site say similar things about running shoes. But the shoes in the specialty stores are NOT that much more expensive, if at all.
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    I don't know about bikes, but make sure you get padded pants or shorts or you will be very sorry!

this, one thousand times over.
  • esphixiet
    esphixiet Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Whatever you do, do not buy a bike from Canadian Tire or Walmart. Buy a bike that has a GOOD reputation. I second the idea to go to a pro bike shop and have them fit you. I'm short (short legs specifically), so I needed a special sized bike. If you have the wrong size bike, you WILL screw up your knees.
  • Sactown900
    Sactown900 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I RIDE A HYBRID TO WORK (7 MILES ONE WAY). You can get a great workout and it can handle the abuse of crummy streets.
  • triplestepping
    triplestepping Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Whatever you do, **DO NOT** (emphasis mine) buy a bike from Canadian Tire or Walmart. Buy a bike that has a GOOD reputation. I second the idea to go to a pro bike shop and have them fit you.

Agreed. As someone who used to work at Canadian Tire, I can tell you that the bikes are shipped to the store in a cardboard box and *some random employee* puts them together in the back. You really don't want an amateur building your bike for you. Things may have changed in the last few years but that was how it was done in the early 00s.

If you really want to get a cheap first bike, get one off Craigslist or an unused one from a friend, but then take it in to a bike shop and have them give it a full once over, tune up, and get it all adjusted to suit your body and riding style. It's really important to build a good relationship with your local bike shop.

Edit: OTOH, if you do get one from Canadian Tire or Walmart (etc) be sure you take it in to the bike shop to have a professional fully adjust/tighten *everything* on the bike before you even consider getting on it.
  • g0tr00t
    g0tr00t Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    1. Think of how you will ride. (Road/Bike trail only, Mountains/Off Road, Combination on the road/trail and off road)
    2. Go to a LBS (local bike shop)
    3. Get measured for a bike.
    4. Try the different bikes they offer once you have decided "how" you will ride.
    5. Get clips ( might feel REALLY weird at first, but your feet will thank you later). Its takes a while to get used to them and DO NOT ever think unclipping one while stopped is a good idea...lol..that nasty wind WILL show up one day and knock you over (speaking from experience).
    6. Get PADDED (Chamois) shorts. Not GEL! That stuff his horrible and slips out of the way. Get used to the bike seat and sit on your SIT bones. Do NOT replace the seat with a lazyboy cushion.

if you have to go with a cheap bike --> www.bikesdirect.com (personally, for my first bike, I wouldn't do it.)

I bought a Trek 1.2 and LOVE it. Its about 21lbs and it FEELS great. It has a more of an upright position that other (Specialized, Cannondale, etc...) road bikes, but for me, that's OK. I can easily switch from Bike Trail, Sidewalk and Street as needed and not be too bent over.

I have been riding to work for over a year now and I cannot tell you how important it is to get FITTED for a bike. If nothing else, do it. Also, before you buy, see if they will properly adjust the bike to you after about riding for a month or so. My LBS charges about $120 for it, had I known I would have negotiated it in the price since I bought the discounted "floor model". Oh well, live and learn and pass on the lesson learned.

Also, when buying a bike, budget in the accessories:
    Helmet
    Padded Shorts
    Vest with pockets in the back
    Rain/Wind jacket (mine-->Canari Eclipse Bike Jacket - Green - sleeves zip off good for a cold morning and warm afternoon, also it converts into itself and then it has a waste band so its like a fanny pack)
    Gloves
    Leg warmers/Arm sleeves (if you plan on riding in cold weather)
    Clips for the bike
    Shoes
    Bottle Holders
    Bottles
    Computer to track mileage(very important) and speed (maybe cadence/heart rate if you are into that)
    Heart rate monitor if your computer tracks your heart rate
    Multi-tool
    Seat bag
    Inner tubes
    CO2 for inflating
    Tire patch kit
    Front light (mine --> NiteRider MiNewt.600)
    Rear light (mine --> Portland Design Works Radbot 1000 1W )

whew! I think thats it....as you can see, not a cheap sport if you want to do it daily :happy: