weight lifting & looking ripped question!

Options
2»

Replies

• fakeplastictree
    fakeplastictree Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    oh and this **** aint easy so keep at it!!!
    :)

Word. I've been at it for two years. Sure I've gotten up to a 200 lb Deadlift from a 105 lb Deadlift. But I don't look muscular. beh. Patience and hard work.
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    and eating bellow my maintenance.

You're doing it right except I'd recommend you eat at maintenance. If you're lifting heavy you can lose fat and gain muscle at the same time, but you have to fuel that muscle gain.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Your profile says you're 20, not 18? Not sure how you can be chubby at 5'3'' and 120lbs as I'm 5'1'' and 125 and not chubby. But maybe you mean you're not as "toned" as you'd like to be.

One thing I would suggest (although I do agree with your 3 sets, 12 reps) is to try heavier weight with lower reps. go up by 5 lbs and see if you can still do 12 reps. If you can, go up another 5 lbs until you can only do 8-10 reps. Try the 8-10 reps for a while and see how you feel with it. I would also do a go-to-failure set at the end of your normal 3 sets. Take the weight back down a bit and just rep it out til your dead.

Weight lifting is a slow process but if you stick with it then it will get you where you want to be!

this is all good too..but I would throw in make sure your every three to four weeks you mix up weight, repetions, order of work outs etc...your muscles get used to the same exercise over and over...or so I hear...
  • GlutesthatSalute
    GlutesthatSalute Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Or you could always just ask californiagirl2012 what she does. :laugh:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/californiagirl2012

*sigh*

AGREED!! Ther's no secret formula VENUS system or whatever the system is you can accomplish the same results by learning weight training techniques, grab an Oxygen or Fitness Rx mag if you don't have time to read all of The New Rules of Lifting 4 Women.. Ther's some pretty sound advice in these mags about training and clean eating!! As well as motivational pictures. Feel free to add me =)
  • kylTKe
    kylTKe Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Sounds like they're on the juice, lol. That said, sure you don't need to do cardio to be ripped. You just have to diet, although cardio helps.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Or you could always just ask californiagirl2012 what she does. :laugh:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/californiagirl2012

*sigh*

AGREED!! Ther's no secret formula VENUS system or whatever the system is you can accomplish the same results by learning weight training techniques, grab an Oxygen or Fitness Rx mag if you don't have time to read all of The New Rules of Lifting 4 Women.. Ther's some pretty sound advice in these mags about training and clean eating!! As well as motivational pictures. Feel free to add me =)
    [/quote

4millissa - noticedthat you wre a trainer..do you have any thought on IF intermittent fasting?? Have been reading up on it and curious as to your thoughts?
  • paijing
    paijing Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    If you're interested in checking out intermittent fasting (IF), then you should take a look at Lean Gains. The program is great for putting on muscle while burning fat. Unlike men, many women (especially non-professionals!) are not very eager to go through multi-month bulks. Lean Gains is one answer to avoiding that while still working towards your goals.