Need fitness/gym help

Kahoots83
Kahoots83 Posts: 7
edited September 20 in Introduce Yourself
Hi everyone,
26 and have no idea how to use a GYM. I start going in the morning and need help with a plan. I dont know where to start ot how long to do it.. Please please if u have any suggestions share em with me.. :) I feel lost and dont want to get over welmed my first day.. Wsh me luck and thanks

Replies

• weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Most gyms have people there to help. They may give you assistance for basic questions without any additional charge. Otherwise, there are usually trainers who work there that will, for a fee, work with you. Maybe a couple of paid training sessions would be a good investment to help you get the most out of your membership.

If money is too tight for paid sessions, maybe you have a friend who is more familiar with the equipment and how to use it. Even if they are not a member at your gym, you can usually get a guest pass, for a small fee, so they can accompany you.
  • mrsbeck
    mrsbeck Posts: 234 Member
    A lot depends on your level of fitness. When I first starting working out, I was pretty out of shape. I started with the treadmill, but quickly decided that the elliptical trainer was easier on my joints. I usually do 30-60 minutes of cardio (again, you have to decide your level of fitness and what your body can handle) then I lift weights for about 30 minutes, depending on which muscle groups I'm doing. If you're feeling nervous, I would avoid the free weights. That area of the gym can be intimidating if you're new to lifting. Most of the machine weights have diagrams and instructions printed on them. Start low. A weight is heavy enough if you find it challenging to lift the weight for the last 3-4 repetitions. If you struggle to lift the 2nd or 3rd rep, it's too heavy. Take your time and make sure that you have the correct form...there's no point at all in lifting incorrectly.

As the previous poster said, there is usually a staff member willing to help you out. Every gym I've ever belonged to gives you a free orientation session with a trainer as part of your membership. Check to see if you have that benefit.

Good luck! You're about to start on a great journey!
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    You would be best to spend the money for a session with a trainer. Let them know you are just starting out and looking for a program. This will help you get to know the equipment and be able to use it without getting hurt. As well, it will give you confidence in the gym to exercise.

That being said, when I started in the gym, I rode on the exercise bike and watched people work on the weight machines. I would see what they did and then go and read the instructions on the machines to see how they worked and what muscle groups they worked. Then I got married and my husband is very knowledgeable about gym equipment and he helped me. After I had lost about 60 lbs, I invested in a personal trainer every week and he helped me a great deal.
  • Ask your gym about setting up a program for you. Normally they include one session with a trainer to get your started, and to introduce you to the concept of working with a trainer, in other words to get you hooked and buy their services.

When you start lifting weights, start out slowly, doing only one set of 15-0 repetitions for each exercise. When you can do this easily and without being sore, add another set. DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT, push yourself the first few weeks of lifting weights. You will get way too sore and possibly stop. I've had alot of years experience lifting weights with many starts and stops along the way and this type of program works best for me.

Hopefully a trainer will set you up on a program where you do 1/2 of the body one day and the other half the second day. This is much easier on the body than doing the whole body 3 times per week. A good program is lifting weights 4 days a week, possibly mon tues, thurs, fri, then doing cardio only on Wed and Sat/Sun. Always take at least one day off completely to rest your body and your mind.

Hope that helps
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    I agree with all of the other posters, but, if you're like me, you might be intimidated by talking to the gym people. I would start on the elliptical or the treadmil and just do it for as long as you can. Say, 30 minutes. Then, when you get comfortable enough with the gym, you can talk to the people there to set up a specific program for you!
  • I agree w/everyone! Definitely take advantage of free personal training, if it's part of your membership, or pay for 1 or 2 sessions. Be sure to let the trainer know that you're a novice looking for a good routine to start off with. Form is very important b/c you don't want to end up injured. The trainer can show you how the machines work--most of very easy to figure out. Start off slow & as you get more comfortable you can increase time or intensity once the workout gets easy. Remember that everyone there was a novice once.

I focus mostly on cardio b/c I have lots of weight to lose & was pretty muscular to begin with. When I first started I stuck with the elliptical--easiest on the joints--and incorporated the treadmill (walk/run intervals) & stairmaster as my endur&nce increased. I started with 30 mins--I work with kids so I had decent endurance--and now can do 1hr+ on all of the machines at a moderately high level. So just give a few different machines a go & figure out what you can do and just work up from there. Even 5-10 mins on a machine or two is better than nothing!

Have fun too!
  • Thanks everyone for your advise. I will def be getting with someone at the gym for assistance. :smile:
    Good luck to all
This discussion has been closed.