Eat More to Weigh Less?

2»

Replies

• geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    People need to know what their maintenance calorie range is and educate themselves first before making drastic changes to dietary and exercise habits. Fat loss requires a lifetime commitment to healthier habits; thus spend the time before making changes to become more knowledgeable in how nutrition impacts body composition.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member

Actually if your body is starving it will attack your fat cells first. Think about it - your body builds fat cells to store fat for times when there is not food...so a little fasting will have your body attacking your fat stores....Makes sense, right? If you have 6% or less body fat then you should not fast...or so I have read...just throwing this out there..

A little fasting will burn fat... As long as you refeed after that....Not continiously eating to little...Muscle burns more calories than fat - so if your body don't get enough energy from food, it will get rid of the high maintenance parts first...your muscle...
    Don't confuse IF with a constant very low calorie diet - it is not even close to being the same....

Agreed - I think that IF is a good strategy to use with other things to help get rid of body fat..that is my reading of it anyway...and I am open to any other suggetsions on the topic...:) I would never want to fast for multiple days...being Italian I think that is against my religion..lol
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    When I first signed up for MFP, it gave me a 1200 calorie goal starting off. I don't remember changing anything. I just set my goals (which were 1 1/2 pounds a week). That's what I've been on for a week. I just went to check those goals, and ended up changing it to 2 pounds a week instead. This is now what it has given me. I guess I just didn't expect it to change that much. I've barely been eating the 1200 calories as it is. I'm trying to do better.

Something had to be set up differently/incorrectly when you first signed up. If your ticker weight is correct, there's no way MFP put you at 1200 calories a day. They wouldn't adjust calories up when you move from a 1.5 lb loss to a 2 lb loss.

As you said, something must have been off. I didn't manually change anything... but, I must have typed something wrong.

You know... come to think of it. I think I did type in my starting weight wrong, at first. I had to change that (but, I did that by editing previous weight entries). I just today went back and changed my calorie profile.

That would totally make sense. I do believe if you edit your weight, then you have to go back in and recalculate your goals. It doesn't do it automatically. You have to do it periodically as you lose weight too - unless MFP has you at 1200 calories. It will never put you below that regardless of weight.
  • Feed_the_Bears
    Feed_the_Bears Posts: 275 Member
    Ironically, there is a group on this on MFP called "East More 2 Weigh Less" and you should check it out. It explains everything. Basically, restrictive calorie diets are a race to the bottom that destroys your metabolism. Eat "clean" fuel and lots of it to restore your metabolism and you will start cutitng at a farily high calorie range. Now you should exercise in there too.

Check out the group. It's too complicated to explain here.

Good luck.
  • AmberJo1984
    AmberJo1984 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Ironically, there is a group on this on MFP called "East More 2 Weigh Less" and you should check it out. It explains everything. Basically, restrictive calorie diets are a race to the bottom that destroys your metabolism. Eat "clean" fuel and lots of it to restore your metabolism and you will start cutitng at a farily high calorie range. Now you should exercise in there too.

Check out the group. It's too complicated to explain here.

Good luck.

Oh, believe me. I'm definitely exercising. I've been exercising every afternoon; and, yesterday, I started waking up at least an hour early to exercise before work too. It gives me so much more energy.