Eating back your calories rant.

Options

Replies

• jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I guess it's different depending on where you start and where you are in your journey. I can understand your trainer's thoughts on YOU not eating YOUR calories back. (and they are tricky little suckers to track, aren't they?) I need to lose 40 pounds, my trainer (yesterday) told me to eat more on days I exercise. He did not say I had to eat all my calories back, just more than on days I don't exercise. Good for you getting a trainer and figuring what is right for you. That is what EVERY one should do. I wish you all the best in your journey and look forward to hearing about your successes.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    We all need to do what works for us personally and the rest be damned!

This.

Personally I don't eat (all of) mine back--I use them as a buffer between overestimation of calories burned and underestimation of calories eaten (not intentional, but it happens).

It seems to be working just fine for ME.

Good luck in the coming weeks!
  • Maryaly40
    Maryaly40 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I work for UPMC and one of our employee perks are health coaches for various issues, quitting smoking, losing weight, stress mgmt....you get the idea. Well, last fall, I got myself a health coach for weight loss. Our health coaches are also employed by UPMC and are certified nutritionalists (or whatever you call it). Anywho, she based my caloric intake on 1200-1400 calories and when I asked her about eating back exercise calories she said "we don't support that here and I would advise you not to" That was all I needed to hear. :happy:
  • MFPBONNIE
    MFPBONNIE Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I'm happy for you that you found something to work for you. When first joined I ate mine back and gained 7 pounds. Stopped eating them back and lost but maintaining now, no lose no gain. I feel for you with the rude remarks, I have been there. Most of the rudeness I encountered had nothing to do with breaking any rules, etc, but how I choose to exercise and count my calorie burn, whether I use my shift key, which is on MY computer, something stupid to be rude about. So do your thing and have losts of success and be happy. Personally I fear posting something on here cause a lot of people just are not nice, but most of them are very very nice and a pleasure to read from and deal with.
  • dexter4564
    dexter4564 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    No matter how many calories I burn (which is generally 500-700 per day) I never eat the calories back. And every day I stick to around 1400 calorie intake. So I'm on around 700-900 net calories per day which is producing great results.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    I completely did not understand your post. What was the point about "seeing how much you would have burned?" I think I missed that.
  • kluvit
    kluvit Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I think most people share what works for them but may not work for everyone. There seems to be a lot of variability in what works for different people with different circumstances, but the good news is that you've found what works for you. While some are sarcastic and write snippy remarks, I think most of us are just here to share our journey and let others know what worked for us personally. Most of us are not experts, so please take our remarks/advice and use what works/leave what doesn't.

For me, when I stopped losing and even started to gain a little, raising my calories and eating exercise calories actually kicked up my weight loss.
  • BeingAwesome247
    BeingAwesome247 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I don't "eat back" my calories

Figured out what I should be eating to lose weight and stick with that. I also stoppped logging a calorie burn for my exercises.

The forums....meh.... they give ideas but I'd talk to a professional over this place
  • DonniesGirl69
    DonniesGirl69 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I eat when I'm hungry....I don't eat when I'm not hungry.

And I run every day (ish)

That worked for me :smile:
    Options
    I don't "eat back" my calories

Figured out what I should be eating to lose weight and stick with that. I also stoppped logging a calorie burn for my exercises.

The forums....meh.... they give ideas but I'd talk to a professional over this place

Depends on the professional. Lots of "professionals" are idiots. Just sayin.
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    There's a lot of factors involved in whether or not you eat back your calories.

1) How heavy are you? Heavier people can more safely eat less than people closer to their goals.
    2) What are your fitness goals? People training for events like Tough Mudders, triathlons, half or full marathons, etc should usually eat most of their exercise calories back, so their body can fuel itself. They need to understand that they may not lose weight as quickly, but their primary goal is whatever they're training for.
    3) What are your MFP goals set for? If you're already at a very large deficit (you've set it up to lose two pounds a week), it's less safe to increase your deficit still further. If you're set to more sane levels, (1/2-1 pound a week loss), you can get away with skipping exercise calories more often.
    4) How intense is your exercise? When I run 8 or 9 miles, I need to eat some of that back. I've created a huge additional deficit for that day. If I run three miles, I can probably worry about it less.
    5) How accurate do you feel your calorie measurements are? wiggle room is nice if you're less confident about them.

For most people, most of the time, eating back calories is a personal choice that probably won't make much difference other than slightly slower/faster weight loss, but there are many situations where it's better to eat them.

Edit to add:
    I do NOT eat mine back. I will burn on some days over 1000 (according to MFP) and I only eat around 800 or 900 a day. Phoooy on eating them back. I'm here to lose not exercise so I can eat more. I do want to get a HRM and may just get it for Christmas. But if I'm hungry I'm going to eat no matter where I'm at with my calorie count.
    That is NOT healthy. You're starving yourself.

No I'm not. I'm really comfortable there. And I get the good things in every day.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for posting your experience on here and what you found out from your trainer. Blanket statements on here about whether or not you should eat back calories are very confusing and potentially harmful to our weightloss efforts.

A 25 yr old bodybuilder/triathlete/etc that is near goal weight should definitely not have a severe calorie deficit, as it can cause them to lose muscle mass since they have very little fat reserves.

HOWEVER, most of the dieters on this site do not fall into that category.

A 300 pound, 50 yr old man or 200 pound woman who exercises at a light to moderate level, can safely lose 2 pounds or more a week. In order to lose 2 pounds, they must have a calorie deficit of 1000 cals per day. MFP factors in 500 calorie deficit in the calorie goal, therefore the other 500 calories must come from activity. If they eat back all of their exercise calories, and perhaps the exercise charts are wrong, and the portions are off slightly, etc, it is quite possible to gain weight Then after 2 months of not losing, they end up quitting and declaring that it is impossible to lose weight. And end up gaining more.

It is quite possible for SOME people to eat 900-1200 per day without lowering your metabolism, and without starving, if you eat adequate amounts of protein, and good fats, while limiting sugar and simple carbs and getting a moderate amount of activity. I have had MANY doctors tell me this, as well as nutritionists and trainers. Dont automatically tell someone that they are starving themselves and are not healthy if they are getting good results on this regimen. Just because it may not be right for you, doesn't make it wrong for someone else.

Find what works for you, and ignore any rude, pig-headed people that say you are wrong and they are right.

And to fellow posters- PLEASE quit assuming that you know what is best for someone else, when you have no idea what their situation is!
  • Tank_Girl
    Tank_Girl Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I have increased my cal intake from 1200 -1450 and as a result will try to only eat back approx 200-250cals
  • thoeting
    thoeting Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I generally eat most of mine back. However, I KNOW that MFP overestimates the workout calories burned, so that's why I hold back a bit.

I've read several places that it is a great idea to use a HRM so that you KNOW what the calories out are - wow, that's quite a difference on yours!!

gratz on your progress - keep it up!
  • RenewedRunner
    RenewedRunner Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I work for UPMC and one of our employee perks are health coaches for various issues, quitting smoking, losing weight, stress mgmt....you get the idea. Well, last fall, I got myself a health coach for weight loss. Our health coaches are also employed by UPMC and are certified nutritionalists (or whatever you call it). Anywho, she based my caloric intake on 1200-1400 calories and when I asked her about eating back exercise calories she said "we don't support that here and I would advise you not to" That was all I needed to hear. :happy:

So, on a heavy day when I do say, an 8 mile run, and burn 900 calories, the 500 max that are then left for the day are to fuel me??? That doesnt make a ton of sense. Speaking as someone whose career field requires certification, there can be a wide range of what people call certified and who is issuing them. One of our CDC guys got fired. He was "certified" in Jamaica by paying $599 and taking a test. :huh:
    Options
    Thank you so much for posting your experience on here and what you found out from your trainer. Blanket statements on here about whether or not you should eat back calories are very confusing and potentially harmful to our weightloss efforts.

A 25 yr old bodybuilder/triathlete/etc that is near goal weight should definitely not have a severe calorie deficit, as it can cause them to lose muscle mass since they have very little fat reserves.

HOWEVER, most of the dieters on this site do not fall into that category.

A 300 pound, 50 yr old man or 200 pound woman who exercises at a light to moderate level, can safely lose 2 pounds or more a week. In order to lose 2 pounds, they must have a calorie deficit of 1000 cals per day. MFP factors in 500 calorie deficit in the calorie goal, therefore the other 500 calories must come from activity. If they eat back all of their exercise calories, and perhaps the exercise charts are wrong, and the portions are off slightly, etc, it is quite possible to gain weight Then after 2 months of not losing, they end up quitting and declaring that it is impossible to lose weight. And end up gaining more.

It is quite possible for SOME people to eat 900-1200 per day without lowering your metabolism, and without starving, if you eat adequate amounts of protein, and good fats, while limiting sugar and simple carbs and getting a moderate amount of activity. I have had MANY doctors tell me this, as well as nutritionists and trainers. Dont automatically tell someone that they are starving themselves and are not healthy if they are getting good results on this regimen. Just because it may not be right for you, doesn't make it wrong for someone else.

Find what works for you, and ignore any rude, pig-headed people that say you are wrong and they are right.

And to fellow posters- PLEASE quit assuming that you know what is best for someone else, when you have no idea what their situation is!

well they will "get results" but I guarantee they will lower their metabolic rate if they do it for any considerable amount of time.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I eat my exercise calories back - (example) If you eat 1400 calories and then burn 500 through exercise your NET for the day is only 900. (1400-500=900). Logic, Science and my own body's intuition tell me this is too low. That's why I subscribe to the idea that you need to eat above your BMR and below your TDEE. I have in the past eaten below BMR and wound up hitting a long long plateau. Once I upped my calories I saw the type of results I'm looking for. This is just what works for me and my goals.

I will put a word of caution out there for those of you eating below BMR - sometimes it works great for awhile but eventually you may hit the mother of all plateau's (lol I know I've been there). Too few calories can cause the body's metabolism to slow way down to accommodate the constant shortage. Instead of losing fat you start to lose lean muscle mass, result soft and doughy. And the kicker is you don't feel hungry either.

For me it was definitely worth upping the calories! To each is own:flowerforyou:
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    MFP overestimates the burn from exercise.

LOL. I love this untrue generalization. For me, MFP is so right on that it's scary. Please don't talk in absolutes because it simply is not true.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    MFP overestimates the burn from exercise.

LOL. I love this untrue generalization. For me, MFP is so right on that it's scary. Please don't talk in absolutes because it simply is not true.

A lot of people seem to miss the fact that the OP is a female over 300lbs. Yes, she's going to burn more calories than a lot of people. Overestimation of calories burned is probably not the problem.
  • DaughterOfTheMostHighKing
    Options
    goes back to the norm of eat when you're hungry and stop when you're full... ;D