What to do after C25K

Options
Hey Guys

So I'm finishing up my last week of C25K this week, and I was wondering, what should I do after? or, what have YOU done afterwards?

The thing I like MOST about the program is that there is already a dedicated workout for me, and I just go and bang it out. I don't really want to just go out and run 3 miles 3x a week. I like the varied workouts. I also don't have much interest in running more than a 5k, otherwise I'd probaby jump on C210K.

Does anyone know of any apps that carry you beyond C25K? I don't want to start at 60 sec intervals again, so I don't want to just keep doing the program over and over. Any help would be awesome!

Replies

• gomisskellygo
    gomisskellygo Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could start back to week 1 or 2 and run as fast as you can for the running intervals and progress through the program? Maybe this will help your running time? Once I recover from my knee injury, I plan on trying to decrease my mile time. Once I am comfortable with that, I want to run a 10K and then a half.

I am looking forward to the responses. I loved the structure of the C25K as well.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I never did the C25K program but after I ran my first 5K race my brain started playing games with me like.......can I run faster? Can I run longer?

Long story short, my first 5K was in 2009 I'm now running half marathon distances and training for a triathlon (I've run a couple of sprint distance duathlons).

Ultimately your next step depends on what your goals are. What do you want to accomplish with your new and improved fitness?
  • peuglow
    peuglow Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    I'm using the runs as a way to improve my cardio. That's pretty much it. I do enjoy the run, but have no motivation for going more than a 5k, mainly because I have a fair amount of lean mass that I don't want to lose.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    There are some programmes out their to get you running 10k. Bridge to 10k is one. Don't know how good they are as I'm still on C25K. :smile:

ETA: Sorry didn't read your post properly, so not much help. :blushing:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Varying where you run can make things a lot more interesting. I have a bunch of different routes around my neighborhood. Some on nice shady streets, some on hilly trails, etc.
  • wolfgate
    wolfgate Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    http://halhigdon.com/training/50934/5K-Intermediate-Training-Program

You said you don't want to race more than 5ks. There are lots of programs for varying distances and levels. Personally, I think Hal Higdon has a good variety. Link above takes you to his intermediate 5k training program- will get you running that distance better and has variety. Hope you find what you're looking for!!!

It does have a little more mileage than 5k - you could shorten that some. Looking at the program, it isn't likely to damage your lean mass given mileage is still pretty low, and it may be fun to race faster. You could shorten the longer run some if you really wanted to.
  • justjenn1977
    justjenn1977 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Hey Guys

So I'm finishing up my last week of C25K this week, and I was wondering, what should I do after? or, what have YOU done afterwards?

The thing I like MOST about the program is that there is already a dedicated workout for me, and I just go and bang it out. I don't really want to just go out and run 3 miles 3x a week. I like the varied workouts. I also don't have much interest in running more than a 5k, otherwise I'd probaby jump on C210K.

Does anyone know of any apps that carry you beyond C25K? I don't want to start at 60 sec intervals again, so I don't want to just keep doing the program over and over. Any help would be awesome!

my plan was to do the plan over once I got to the end... and jogging the whole thing... only instead of walk/jog... doing run/jog...

except for I got a broken foot... and my doc said loose 50 more # and HEAL before trying again :sad:
  • ktied
    ktied Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I am on my first time through of c25k and when i complete it i was thinking about doing it over again, but for speed.
  • SASSYnCHICago
    SASSYnCHICago Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I use the app: mapymyfitness.com and it nice because it times, counts calories burned, and maps your runs. I also think there is a 10K app C210K so that would be a great option.

ETA: endurance options are Kickboxing, spinning and swimming - I love to mix it up and all are those are effienct calorie burning types. I still try to get in a 5K 2-3X's a week.
  • nickhuffman74
    nickhuffman74 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    First off congrats on finishing the C25k.

All the above have good ideas. Since you like the structure of the c25k try getting the bridge210k. I tried it and then dropped it in favor of training for a 1/2.

I also see you are a fighter as well and with that in mind speed and distance will greatly improve your cardio for when you step in the ring. I personally put in a lot of road work. When I am not training I do interval runs on the treadmill.

Someone had mentioned a long time ago in another forum that they were going to do the c2k5 again but do sprints for the running and jogging to replace the walking.
  • lolee624
    lolee624 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    http://trainer.active.com/

Similar to myfitnesspal, but it has numerous training plans you can sign up for. Some free, some not so free. They have an intermediate and advanced 5K program (of course, not free ones).
  • peuglow
    peuglow Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the help guys. I'll try out afew of the suggestions. Not all of them helpful, (it seems like not everyone reads the OP) but still I'm thankful for them!