Golfing and bowling

Options
Can anyone tell me if golf and bowling might be considered as Weight Training "exercises"? They are my favourite activities and wonder if they would count. I golf three times a week as well as now not bowling on teams again three times a week. Going to the gym does not particularly turn me on.

Replies

• wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Based on my BodyMedia Fit readouts, bowling burns no more than putzing around the house. There isn't a lot of activity happening in bowling, especially when bowling with a group in a league, since there's going to be a lot of sitting or lounging around waiting for your turn. I honestly never noticed any more of a caloric burn on nights that I went bowling than nights I stayed home.

As for golf, that I can't help on that since I haven't done more than mini golf. But walking around playing mini golf actually does burn more than bowling or just being at home, since I'm out and walking or standing the full time. So if you're out playing a full round, carrying a bag of clubs, and walking the course, that would probably be able to count a bit towards cardio calories burned for the day. I'd count it as a leisurely paced walk, something around 2mph probably, and then if you play for say, three hours, count it as two hours to take into account the stopping, standing, and waiting aspects if you're playing with others.
  • RheneeB
    RheneeB Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    On MFP I know that Gold is an activity under Cardiovascular. I imagine bowling is too because playing catch with a baseball is on there as well. It as you how many minutes you did the activity and then calculates the calories burned.
  • bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    I golf alot and usually walk 9 or 18 holes with a push cart but I dont log it. I dont consider it excercise unless my heart rate is elevated for and extended period of time and I break a sweat. So much for logging sex too.. LOL

I just consider them both a bonus as it burns calories, but I dont eat back those calories.
  • Mylolamia
    Mylolamia Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Just checked in the strength training section and now see bowling and golf not considered strength training, but cardio where I have been logging. Thanks for your input, much appreciated.

But after bowling three times throwing a ten pound ball at 15/16 miles an hour, and golfing walking the course pushing clubs, my muscles are sure sore this week. Has to be doing some good! As well, my calorie count today is over 1,400 for exercise.