OMG I just want to cry!!!

Options

Replies

• sessaleigh
    Options
    What does your fiance do? I think we all want that job! I can see how if you haven't been in the work force for three years you wouldn't realize how rough it has gotten to find a job. It took me 6 months to find a position in the complany I'm with now. I was applying all the time, went on a half dozen or so interviews. It was very discouraging. That's just our economy right now and you have to keep at it.
  • tsherm3850
    tsherm3850 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I spent 7 hours yesterday looking for a job and about 3 hours the day before. Who knows how many hours I will put in today!!! Every place you apply online they want your resume and then for you to fill out your job history ... What is the point of my resume if have to repeat the same stuff!!!! I need POINTERS please by professionals :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: ??!!

Network! Network! Network!! Target 10 companies you'd like to work for and talk to people. Someone knows someone that works for those companies. Find a way to get a foot in the door...you'll be ahead of everyone else.
  • rachelrb85
    rachelrb85 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately looking for a job IS a full time job! Hang in there, it will definitely take time!
    vote for Obama if you want to spend the next 4 years looking for a job

Are you kidding me? I don't even want to get into politics but have you even looked into how the job market improved? Hundreds of thousands of new jobs/hires a month this year alone. Get your facts straight please.
  • rodneyderrick
    rodneyderrick Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Funny. I voted for Obama, and I have a good job, nice home, and all the amenities that I've ever wanted. I doubt Obama has anything to do with the amount of accessible jobs in this market. You have to stay on top of your skills.
  • cheerforsteelers
    cheerforsteelers Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Network. Yes, you're going to have to repeat yourself when filling out job applications and sending in resumes. Keep at it.
  • melsmith612
    melsmith612 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Some serious job hunting tips and suggestions can be found in a book called What Color Is Your Parachute? I forget the name of the author (I just just got a copy) but you can probably find a copy at your library, it's been in publication for nearly 30 years I think. Good luck with your search and hang in there! You'll find something if you're persistent.
  • zewolf77
    zewolf77 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Use social networking to your advantage also also... sites like LinkedIn and other sites are great if you're looking for a skill position. I know several companies that post on CareerBuilder/Monster/Dice/etc because they have to for compliance reasons.. but really prefer word of mouth kind of referrals.

Hit up FB, Twitter, etc too.. as they say.. "Sometimes it's not what ya know... but who ya know"
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Look for local job fairs, unemployment office, temp agencies, or contract recruiters. Last I read some statistics I believe it said to expect to search 2-3 months for every 10K a year you expect to make (in the USA). Not sure what you are looking for, but if you are looking to make 40K a year that's 8-12 months of job hunting. MONTHS of job hunting every single day for 8 hours a day. This could take a while.
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Make a word document with all your work history, addresses, etc.

Copy and paste.

Add to it as necessary.
  • chocolateandpb
    chocolateandpb Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Hey, reality check: You've done this for a day and a half? My husband has been at it for A YEAR AND A HALF.

Toughen up.

You have to work at least as hard at getting a job as you will keeping that job. Especially in this economy.

:flowerforyou: Same with my ex boyfriend and my brother. It's so tough out there. I was unemployed for 16 months, from February 2008 to June 2009. A day and half is nothing.
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Job hunting is a full-time gig.

As some of the others said, check out temp agencies. It might help you get into a place that'll make you temp-to perm. I might just be a temporary situation that allows you to pay bills.

If you have time to volunteer as you search for a job, that'll help you network. It'll also help fill the unemployment gap a bit and give you an answer to the "What have you been doing during this time frame?" question. Some places, like hospitals, actually give small benefits to volunteers, like a free meal during their shift. Again. This gets you out and networking with people.

Additionally, have someone else, preferably someone in HR or recruiting, look at your resume. It could be that there's an issue with the formatting or that you're not presenting yourself as a strong candidate. You might have all of the qualities that they're looking for, but if that info isn't presented the right way, your resume gets tossed to the side. (Perhaps consider a functional versus the traditional chronological resume, depending on what you're going for.
  • korsicash
    korsicash Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Face to face, you need to put a face with the all the paper work. And look like you care. When I was a hiring manager the people that came in to tell me they had submitted an application and were dressed for an on the spot interview usually got one. Not saying they all got hired but I gave more time to those who looked as though they respected themselves and my time. Good luck.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Draft up a great cover letter that is specific to every job you apply for (don't just use a generic one), and don't just list your attributes but state how the skills and experience meet the needs of the position or can enhance the position applied for.

Also don't get discouraged. A lot of times I find with job hunting it is the rule of 10, depending on the job market, may be more or less. The rule of 10 is that for every 10 jobs you apply for you will get one interview
  • Betsiz17
    Betsiz17 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I would have to agree with people who say networking is the way to go. Are you affiliated with any organizations? If so, keep talking to people. It is tough out there, no doubt. Keep the faith, though and try to keep your attitude positive.
  • Dragonnade
    Dragonnade Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Volunteer in the mean time so you look like a well rounded individual.
    Ensure your CV is top notch.
    Ensure you're answering their questions how they like to see it (nightmare. My mate who works for the civil service (UK) is aces at their forms; I couldn't get an interview despite 8 months of trying!)
    Think of a way to stand out.

And work hard. All the time. At getting the job, at keeping the job, of promoting yourself out of the job.

Took me 8 months to get my first job despite graduating from uni wtih a first in law. 3 years later I'm self employed doing what I love. Foot in the door is always hardest but persistence coupled with improving your line of attack is the only way.

Or nepotism. Got an uncle who owns a multi national?
  • Nell720
    Nell720 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Your resume has to be tailored to the specific jobs your are looking for. You should have a different resume for different jobs. Your resume should stand out from the rest. Take a look at your resume and the jobs your are applying for and make sure you hit some of their job duties. It should be short and sweet. Remember they are being screened by someone in HR before it makes it to someone who will actually make the decision. Also remember in this economy companies are looking for the best of the best. Keep looking and be patient.
  • Darkchylde02
    Options
    Yeah, it sucks. A lot. And even worse, nobody really gets hired from online ads anyway. It's all about who you know.

I agree, I applied for over a year online, and in person, but until I applied at a place where I knew most of the staff, and the owner, I didn't even get a call back for an interview. It was really hard and things were super tight, especially with 3 kids to support! Luckily I have an understanding family and a bf that is willing to take on a big family.
  • beachgirl613
    beachgirl613 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    My last 3 positions I got through someone seeing my LinkedIn profile. Make sure it's up to date and sell your skills and experience. Network. I don't know what you do, but I belong to a couple of professional organizations where I constantly network just in case. Ditto to previous posters, hit up your friends on Facebook and twitter, they might know someone.

Most importantly, sell yourself and tell them why you're the best for the position. Have a great cover letter and a killer summary of skills.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    Go into the establishments that you want to work at...resume in hand. talk to the manager. dress professionally and follow up by phone.
  • tnjackso1
    tnjackso1 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Your resume has to be tailored to the specific jobs your are looking for. You should have a different resume for different jobs. Your resume should stand out from the rest. Take a look at your resume and the jobs your are applying for and make sure you hit some of their job duties. It should be short and sweet. Remember they are being screened by someone in HR before it makes it to someone who will actually make the decision. Also remember in this economy companies are looking for the best of the best. Keep looking and be patient.

I agree, like my job....a computer screens for certain words and that's how it falls into the hands of man. Stay encouraged and count your blessings. You said you moved back home some don't have that option!
This discussion has been closed.