Confused, please help me... HR monitor

Options
So I am confused. I wear a HR monitor when i exercise, but when i log my exercise, MFP tries to give me WAY more cals burned than my HR monitor. I always adjust it, but i don't know why it does that since it has the same info programmed into it. It wouldn't be a big deal if it was just a small difference, but MFP tells me double what my HRM tells me. Example: Yesterday I did 65 min. on a bike, and my HRM syncs with the machine, it told me I burned 385 cals, but when I entered it into MFP it said 707. I don't understand why there is this much of a difference.

Replies

• iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Trust the HRM. MFP doesn't know what your heart rate is during the exercise. They're just guessing. A HRM will be much much closer to actual calories burned.
  • SJCon
    SJCon Posts: 224
    Options
    An algorithm based on Height, Weight, Age and Gender does not take into account lean mass vs. fat mass and current level of fitness. Putting Heart rate into the equations goes to fitness/work being done for you as an individual so is always going to be more accurate. A good heart rate monitor just to track calories is only;y about $40 if you shop carefully. A really Good one for weight loss (Polar FT70) is $80. Problem with a good continuous HRM is wearing a chest strap.
  • joannathechef
    joannathechef Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    So I am confused. I wear a HR monitor when i exercise, but when i log my exercise, MFP tries to give me WAY more cals burned than my HR monitor. I always adjust it, but i don't know why it does that since it has the same info programmed into it. It wouldn't be a big deal if it was just a small difference, but MFP tells me double what my HRM tells me. Example: Yesterday I did 65 min. on a bike, and my HRM syncs with the machine, it told me I burned 385 cals, but when I entered it into MFP it said 707. I don't understand why there is this much of a difference.

Even if you don't like the answer the HRM burn is MUCH more accurate, I go be this alone my Polar is water proof so I even wear it swimming....
  • islebutterfly09
    islebutterfly09 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody. I don't like the answer, but I will take it because I just want to get this weight lost. I have a sportline with a chest strap, is that a good brand??
  • senyosmom
    senyosmom Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    go with the HRM - its more accurate for YOU. MFP is genralized.
  • SJCon
    SJCon Posts: 224
    Options
    Not heard anything bad about "Sportline", they will all be reasonable. Big differences will be features and strap comfort. Basic models are GREAT for just calorie burn.