Can someone please explains calories?!

Options
Hello everyone!

I am having somewhat of a difficult time grasping how FitnessPal records net calories in lieu of adding in additional calories “earned” through exercise.

Here’s the situation:
Upon using a BMR calculator to generate the estimated daily calories I should consume, I was given this breakdown. Keep in mind, this is for losing 1lb a week (which is what I would consider a healthy means of losing and keeping off weight).

Activity Level Daily Calories
Sedentary (little or no exercise, desk job) 1696
Lightly Active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk) 1943
Moderately Active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk) 2190
Very Active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days/wk) 2437

So here’s my hang up. Using the FitnessPal goal generator, it determined that I should consume 1610 calories/day. I figured, hey, that’s a close enough range that I was given through the BMR calculator so I clicked to save changes. Well, I am having two issues arise that I am hoping someone can counsel me on:

Issue #1:
Upon recording my food intake, I have begun to realize that I am not eating anywhere near what I should be calories wise. My breakfasts, lunches, and dinners are often each averaging in the 300-ish range for caloric intake. I really don’t do too much snacking for the most part, but even when I do… I seem to still fall beneath 1200 calories.
The thing is, I’m not really hungry beyond my food intake currently--- which concerns me greatly. I worry that I may have inadvertently caused my metabolism to slow over the last several years from this kind of poor eating behavior. In which case, now I am worried about the repercussions of increasing my caloric intake 600 or more a day and facing a massive weight gain.

Is it suggested to gradually increase my caloric intake to give my metabolism time to catch up?

Issue #2:
With my goals for this year, I will be working out between 1-3 days a week. According to that chart, it says that I should be eating roughly 1943 calories a day. Is that what I am supposed to be replacing the “1610” with as my daily calorie goal? Also, I noticed when I enter a workout--- I “earn” additional calories to my net calories for the day. Is that mean you are supposed to actually eat more? I am just having a terrible time wrapping my mind around how exactly FitnessPal calculates calories burned into additional calories earned for the day.

Any help or suggestions would be most appreciated!

Thanks everyone :)

Replies

• michlingle
    michlingle Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Well, according to your pic, you've been on since Jan 2009? How much weight have you lost? If you haven't lost any, than you should probably change what you've been doing so far which is eating too few calories if that's the case. Plus, chances are you aren't here to gain weight so eating more calories than you're supposed to, in the past, must not have been a problem. I'm not trying to be a mean girl here, but I just don't understand how some people who are trying to lose weight, cannot eat enough calories. Isn't this what got us here in the first place? Myself included of course! Needless to say, it isn't hard for me to eat all my cals each day.

Regardless, there are a TON of posts about how mfp works and why it seems you are allotted certain calorie counts. There are some links below in the first post on the page. Hope it helps.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10665-newbies-please-read-me-2nd-edition
  • kiffypooh
    kiffypooh Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    I'm not really sure about the ins and out of MFP, I just entered my info in and went by what they were saying I should eat to lose the amount I want to lose each week. Prior to joining MFP I had (still am) doing Weight Watchers since Jan 09. I had been at a standstill for a couple months and hadn't been tracking what I was eating or anything. When I started on here and started tracking it turned out I wasn't eating enough calories (since I wasn't tracking I didn't realize this). If you are not consuming enough calories throughout your day your body is afraid you are in a state of starvation and starts to burn only what it has to make it run. Therefore, you stop losing weight or it starts to fall off very slowly. You need to eat to lose. Same with exercise, when you work out you have to eat those calories you've burned or you will hit a wall on weight loss. My sister has asked me about this for years and I can never fully explain it, but you do have to eat to lose!
    Best of luck,
    Catherine
  • MOMMYofAISLYNNE
    MOMMYofAISLYNNE Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi Michnthecity,

Well actually, I made an account back in January, but just started really using this website for the first time a few weeks ago. Up until recently, I have been just increasing my exercise regiment and recording everything in a little notebook of mine. At any rate, no worries, I certainly take no offense from your response regarding reaching the daily calories intake. While I think it's wonderful that you have no difficulties reaching yours, it doesn't change the fact that I am struggling reaching mine.

In the meantime, I think maybe I will try to create more balanced meals. I think part of the problem that I am running into is that often times my meals aren't balanced out with a protein, veggie, grain, etc. Lol, I am supposing this will mean its time to get my butt in gear and rediscover the joy of cooking a full meal :)

Thanks for your input and congrats on running your marathon!
    Well, according to your pic, you've been on since Jan 2009? How much weight have you lost? If you haven't lost any, than you should probably change what you've been doing so far which is eating too few calories if that's the case. Plus, chances are you aren't here to gain weight so eating more calories than you're supposed to, in the past, must not have been a problem. I'm not trying to be a mean girl here, but I just don't understand how some people who are trying to lose weight, cannot eat enough calories. Isn't this what got us here in the first place? Myself included of course! Needless to say, it isn't hard for me to eat all my cals each day.

Regardless, there are a TON of posts about how mfp works and why it seems you are allotted certain calorie counts. There are some links below in the first post on the page. Hope it helps.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10665-newbies-please-read-me-2nd-edition
  • MOMMYofAISLYNNE
    Options
    Good evening Catherine,

Thanks so much for the response and sharing your experience. I think it's going to be a matter of trial and error to get to where I need to be. I think I will start gradually increasing my calories while monitoring my body's response to the change over the next few weeks. Atleast if it starts going down (and staying down), then I know I am on the right track! Hehee.

Take care and good luck to you as well!

Keri
    Hello,
    I'm not really sure about the ins and out of MFP, I just entered my info in and went by what they were saying I should eat to lose the amount I want to lose each week. Prior to joining MFP I had (still am) doing Weight Watchers since Jan 09. I had been at a standstill for a couple months and hadn't been tracking what I was eating or anything. When I started on here and started tracking it turned out I wasn't eating enough calories (since I wasn't tracking I didn't realize this). If you are not consuming enough calories throughout your day your body is afraid you are in a state of starvation and starts to burn only what it has to make it run. Therefore, you stop losing weight or it starts to fall off very slowly. You need to eat to lose. Same with exercise, when you work out you have to eat those calories you've burned or you will hit a wall on weight loss. My sister has asked me about this for years and I can never fully explain it, but you do have to eat to lose!
    Best of luck,
    Catherine
  • MOMMYofAISLYNNE
    Options
    Thanks so much for the link!!! I just went through an incredible article that really broke down what's going on. It's hard to think eating the daily calories would be difficult, but when you've only eaten a very small fraction of why your body really needs to be "healthy".... 1600 calories looks like a gigantic task! Well, from the article, it looks like I will need to ignore the scale for a few weeks while I work on getting my metabolism up and where it should be. As diheartening as it was to read that I will most likely gain 5-7 lbs during this recovery process, I must say that I am so blessed that the human body is so resilient and able to repair the damage that I unknowingly bestowed upon it over the last few years.

For years I have wondered why I was continuing to either gain weight or stay heavier when I was eating fairly healthy... but clearly not eating enough in quantity. Not sure I would have even poked around in that forum had you not sent me the link, so thank you again!! I actually feel like I have a solid plan, for once, to continue my weightloss journey!

Here's the link to the article:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing

Take care,

Keri

• OpalFruitJam
    OpalFruitJam Posts: 114 Member
    Options

Oh dear this has confused me now as well. If I eat my recommended 1,200 calories, and then do a workout which burns say... 200 calories.. have I then GOT to eat another 200 calories? Surely eating what you work off will just make you stay the same weight? At some point you surely have to not eat the calories you have burnt off to lose the weight?

Oh dear me this is confuddling.
  • jrbowers83
    jrbowers83 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    [/quote]

Oh dear this has confused me now as well. If I eat my recommended 1,200 calories, and then do a workout which burns say... 200 calories.. have I then GOT to eat another 200 calories? Surely eating what you work off will just make you stay the same weight? At some point you surely have to not eat the calories you have burnt off to lose the weight?

[/quote]
    [/quote]

I have to say this confused me quite a bit too. But I just had to apply my accounting background to the math behind it. Basically, MFP bases your calorie consumption and calories burned by the week. The net calorie goal (of at least 1200) is figured in at a deficit of your original calories burned by normal daily activity. You would have to eat your calorie estimate (mine is 1796 for example) just to maintain weight. So basically you don't HAVE to work out to lose weight. But your body needs more calories to account for exercise, thus when you exercise you're allowed to eat more. I personally prefer to work out, because I LIKE to eat more, and exercise makes me crave healthier foods.
  • jrbowers83
    Options
    Thanks so much for the link!!! I just went through an incredible article that really broke down what's going on. It's hard to think eating the daily calories would be difficult, but when you've only eaten a very small fraction of why your body really needs to be "healthy".... 1600 calories looks like a gigantic task! Well, from the article, it looks like I will need to ignore the scale for a few weeks while I work on getting my metabolism up and where it should be. As diheartening as it was to read that I will most likely gain 5-7 lbs during this recovery process, I must say that I am so blessed that the human body is so resilient and able to repair the damage that I unknowingly bestowed upon it over the last few years.

For years I have wondered why I was continuing to either gain weight or stay heavier when I was eating fairly healthy... but clearly not eating enough in quantity. Not sure I would have even poked around in that forum had you not sent me the link, so thank you again!! I actually feel like I have a solid plan, for once, to continue my weightloss journey!

Take care,

Keri

I would just make sure that you are appropriately recording your portions. Of course a food scale works best. Here's a link that gives examples of appropriate portion sizes.
    http://www.parenting.com/gallery/Mom/Food-Portions-and-Serving-Sizes

Also, be sure you are counting ANY additives (butter, salt, dressings, etc.) and caloric beverages--- THOSE add up quickly. At first I was showing that I was consuming less than 1000 cals/day and I'm thinking it's impossible that I would gain weight, but as I started figuring in all the additives it quickly added up to more like 1800. Have since switched to no-cal butter, drink nothing but water, and carefully measure my dressings (all low-cal, or low-fat)

I hope that this info helps you in your weight loss journey. Good luck!
  • MOMMYofAISLYNNE
    Options
    Thanks for your suggestions! Yeah, unfortunately my calories were dipping that low even with calculating the small stuff. You're definitely right though, a lot of people overlook their liquid calories (ie. the creamer in their coffee, the sweetened drinks, etc). As for me, I tend to drink water or homemade iced teas (sweetened with splenda), so I knew it wasn't the liquid part.

Since today was my first day of incorporating more calories into my diet, I can tell you it wasn't as hard as I initially thought it was going to be--- as long as I made sure to create a balanced meal. Just as that article I referred to in my previous post said, I certainly don't want to increase my calories with bad food choices. So I made sure to eat some additional fruits and veggies to fill the gaps. I had a huge problem with only picking one of the food groups and making a meal out of it alone. Big, big, big mistake! From creating a balanced meal and for the first time ever... stretching my daily food into six meals instead of three... I had a ton more energy that I normally do throughout the day.

I have a little one that just turned 2 on Dec. 20th. Usually by mid day I am exhausted beyond belief. Today... that just wasn't the case! I made sure to keep close to the calories denoted by my BMR calculations and I am real excited to see some true progress in restoring my health to what it used to be!

Oh, one question out of couriosity: You mentioned that you switched your butter to watch calories. If you don't mind me asking, what kind did you end up switching to? I have been using the same kind for years, but hubby and I both have been looking for an alternative!

Take care,

Keri

Take care,

Keri

I would just make sure that you are appropriately recording your portions. Of course a food scale works best. Here's a link that gives examples of appropriate portion sizes.
    http://www.parenting.com/gallery/Mom/Food-Portions-and-Serving-Sizes

Also, be sure you are counting ANY additives (butter, salt, dressings, etc.) and caloric beverages--- THOSE add up quickly. At first I was showing that I was consuming less than 1000 cals/day and I'm thinking it's impossible that I would gain weight, but as I started figuring in all the additives it quickly added up to more like 1800. Have since switched to no-cal butter, drink nothing but water, and carefully measure my dressings (all low-cal, or low-fat)

I hope that this info helps you in your weight loss journey. Good luck!
  • MOMMYofAISLYNNE
    Options
    Good evening OpalFruitJam,

I was very, VERY confused myself until I read through this article late last night. Hope it helps for you, too!

Here's the link: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

Take care and the best of luck to you on your journey!

Keri

• songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options

MFP builds in a caloric deficit for you.
    If you visit your Settings - Fitness/Nutrition Profile, you'll see that they list both your goal (1200) and your "BMR", which is really a misnomer by which they mean your TDEE-- Total Daily Energy Expenditure. You probably burn about 1500-1600 calories per day without exercise, so by eating 1200, you're in a 300-400 calorie deficit. When you exercise, that TDEE increases by however many calories you burn (let's say 600) so now your TDEE is 2100-2200 calories. If you're still eating 1200 calories, your deficit is 900-1000 calories. While that's ok for some, it's not ideal for people with a little weight to lose. It can mimic starvation and cause fat loss to slow.
  • toneykari
    Options
    Sigh**
    I sure wish I had trouble staying near my calories... Mine suggests 1200 daily, but I tend to eat around 1600 daily - when I am trying! I'm not sure how to start backing off of them! It seems like I will do really well allll day til like 6 or 7pm. Then BOOM! Something happens and I end up eating away all my calories by 9 or 10pm. If I don't go directly to bed, it's grueling and horribly frustrating to NOT eat anything else. I usually lose the battle. :(
    Part of the issue is that I am a college instructor, and my hours vary SO much! Some days I work 2 hours, some 4 hours, some not at all, and some evenings and some days! So I sleep, well, whenever I do I suppose. Not sure why I am telling you all this... just frustrated I suppose.
  • jrbowers83
    Options
    Thanks for your suggestions! Yeah, unfortunately my calories were dipping that low even with calculating the small stuff. You're definitely right though, a lot of people overlook their liquid calories (ie. the creamer in their coffee, the sweetened drinks, etc). As for me, I tend to drink water or homemade iced teas (sweetened with splenda), so I knew it wasn't the liquid part.

Since today was my first day of incorporating more calories into my diet, I can tell you it wasn't as hard as I initially thought it was going to be--- as long as I made sure to create a balanced meal. Just as that article I referred to in my previous post said, I certainly don't want to increase my calories with bad food choices. So I made sure to eat some additional fruits and veggies to fill the gaps. I had a huge problem with only picking one of the food groups and making a meal out of it alone. Big, big, big mistake! From creating a balanced meal and for the first time ever... stretching my daily food into six meals instead of three... I had a ton more energy that I normally do throughout the day.

I have a little one that just turned 2 on Dec. 20th. Usually by mid day I am exhausted beyond belief. Today... that just wasn't the case! I made sure to keep close to the calories denoted by my BMR calculations and I am real excited to see some true progress in restoring my health to what it used to be!

Oh, one question out of couriosity: You mentioned that you switched your butter to watch calories. If you don't mind me asking, what kind did you end up switching to? I have been using the same kind for years, but hubby and I both have been looking for an alternative!

Take care,

Keri

Take care,

Keri

I use Parkay no calorie butter spray. The flavor even helps me lessen or eliminate salt, and each 5 sprays only has .5mg of sodium so it's a great alternative.
  • MOMMYofAISLYNNE
    Options
    Hey, it's alright honey. That's why were here...to share the good, the bad, and the frustrating. :)

My husband, a sr. network engineer, works in the 24/7 Telecom industry. So I know precisely what you mean about a variable schedule. He works a minimum of 12 hr days and its the 7:30pm to 8am shift. His "days" are during the night time, but he regularly swaps back into matching my reversed schedule on his days off so he can spend time with the family. He is also venturing on his own weightloss journey and I often hear him contemplating on figuring out the best method to accomodate his schedule when he's working through the night for such long periods of time.

Have you tried to eat more complex carbohydrates throughout the days (ie. beans, whole grains, veggies, fruits) to help you feel more full for longer periods of time? Usually if you eat items that your body can easily digest, they tend to make you more hungry and less satisfied throughout the day. Just a thought to look into :)

Thanks for sharing!

Keri
    Sigh**
    I sure wish I had trouble staying near my calories... Mine suggests 1200 daily, but I tend to eat around 1600 daily - when I am trying! I'm not sure how to start backing off of them! It seems like I will do really well allll day til like 6 or 7pm. Then BOOM! Something happens and I end up eating away all my calories by 9 or 10pm. If I don't go directly to bed, it's grueling and horribly frustrating to NOT eat anything else. I usually lose the battle. :(
    Part of the issue is that I am a college instructor, and my hours vary SO much! Some days I work 2 hours, some 4 hours, some not at all, and some evenings and some days! So I sleep, well, whenever I do I suppose. Not sure why I am telling you all this... just frustrated I suppose.