Heart Rate While Running

Options
Was wondering if you track your heart rate while running and if so where do you like to keep it? I run with a garmin, however I never use the HRM....tried once and it drove me crazy. So last night I was running on the dreadmill at my gym decided to see where my heart rate stood at each mile while I was completing a 4.5 mile run @ a 10 MM Pace. It fell out like this:

1st mile - 123
2nd mile - 124
3rd mile - 125
4th mile - 127
last half mile - 129

During the cool down my heart rate was down to 79 when I was walking 2.5 MPH.

It should be noted that my resting heart rate is usually high 40's or low 50's. I even have "Low Heart Rate" on my Road ID in case someone runs me over while I am out running. Not sure it matters or not, but I ran 9.4 miles earlier in the day and worked legs prior to this run.

Thanks for your feedback....

Replies

• davodavodavo
    davodavodavo Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I would try to run for 45 min and see where your heart rate averages at…for example when I am on the tread mill I like to keep it around 147-149 so I can run for 45-60 min. If I go any higher my body won’t complete the duration goal, what I’m trying to convey is you can speed up or slow down the pace and then measure gains in speed. I hope this makes sense?
  • MtnKat
    MtnKat Posts: 714
    Options
    I use my Polar Ft7 and then upload the data in polarpersonaltrainer.com. I love looking at the charts and all the data (I know, I'm kinda geeky lol) - especially like to look at the training loads which tells me if Im getting too close to over training.

I also track it using my Nike+ app. Right now I have over a years worth of running data in that app. It's my favorite app to use while running (I love the gps....and when it tells me how many miles I've ran and what my pace is).

My heart rate starts out in the low 100s my first mile but by mile 2 or 3 it shoots up and maintains around 150-160ish until my cool down. I run an average of 5-6 miles a run. I'm less fit than you and still over weight (and have been running for only a year).

My resting hr is around 60.
  • RaineMarie
    RaineMarie Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I have a naturally high heart rate. Resting I am about 75-80. When I was training for my half marathons, my heart rate would average around 180. I've seen it get up to 200 - and no I did not go into cardiac arrest. I checked with a doctor - nothing wrong with me. I never feel like my heart is pounding or I am about to keel over. I have been told that the 220 minus your age is really only a guide and doesnt always apply to everyone. Still, I try to keep it around 165, but for the most part I dont put too much thought into it, really.
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I have a resting heart rate in the 58-60 range and when I run I try and not go over 165 or so. I can definitely tell when I hit the 170's and I just can't sustain that. If I go below 150 than I feel like I'm not putting in much effort. Just for a reference too, when I'm on the treadmill I run between a 5.8 and 6.2.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Wow...that's a low HR while running! I have been running for about 6 months now, and am training for a 10K. But, it's still not easy for me...even at the 5K distance.

I use a continuous HRM and my average heart rate during a run is usually high 160's to mid 170's. My resting HR is around 62. It will get up into the low 190s at some point during my runs though.

Last night I did 3.2 miles on the treadmill at 5.7 mph and my average was 168 with a max of 186 I think.
  • ATclassof2021
    ATclassof2021 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I may drag the old heart rate monitor out for Saturdays 20 mile run......kinda wanna see where it starts and where it ends up. Might help me determine where I need to keep it for the Marine Corps Marathon.
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    I try to maintain mine around 160-165 unless I had a day like today legs were very sore and I struggled to keep it at low 150ish If I get to around 175 I feel like im gonna throw up and or pass out I usually give it my all that last 1/2 mile so thats the way I feel and my HR gets to about 175 to 180. Oh yea I am 44. I run for about 65 minutes (8 miles) 5-6 times a week.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Those heart rates look good for an easy training run. If your max heartrate is around the predicted value your marathon race heartrate should be in the 140s and half marathon race heartrate in the low 150s.

My heart rates are similar to yours at that pace.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Mine generally stays between 160 -170. I can maintain that rate for 30 minutes but once I start creeping up towards 175 range I really start noticing my heart pounding in my chest. Normally I slow my pace down till it drops closer to 160 if that happens.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Mine varies with time of day. If I'm running 10min miles early in the morning I'll usually average around 145bpm for a 6 mile run. Running after work is almost guaranteed to be about 10bpm higher.