OMG PMS!!!

Options
13»

Replies

• LeggyAmericanGirl
    LeggyAmericanGirl Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I give in, my goal is to not feel starving !
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I get cravings too - I find it helps to eat a banana with a handful of cacao nibs, and a teaspoonful of himalayan crystal salt dissolved in water. And red meat in my evening meal. Those are the specific sorts of things my body seems to be craving, but unless I make a point of giving myself those things I'll just eat anything!
  • tundeke
    Options
    OMG! I just posted a very similar topic a minute ago, i am struggling too!
  • karenwill2
    karenwill2 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    since I switched my diet in the last two weeks to mostly vegetables, I am not suffering from those cravings anymore. It is AWESOME!!!!
  • BamsieEkhaya
    BamsieEkhaya Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    5roasted and salted cashews (£1) at the corner shops...and a single cherry drop saved my lady week :) though...weigh in at the end was painful, only lost 0.2Ibs
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    There is science behind this. Here is an article about a study done on women and food cravings during PMS: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/judith-j-wurtman-phd/dr-oz-rubber-wristbands-a_b_785512.html

Basically, it says that the hormones that bring on menstruation also mess with brain chemistry, making it harder for the brain to get the proper serotonin levels.

Serotonin is boosted by non-fructose carb consumption. Unfortunately, we crave all carbs at that time of the month, fructose or not. Eating fruit won't help, but eating chocolate will. A cookie or other high carb snack will help the brain get back to normal.

The article goes on to say that 30 grams of carbs is all that is necessary to beat those cravings. Avoid protein when the carb cravings strike and grab a granola bar or something instead. When the craving has passed, then eat your usual proteins.

Protein will short circuit serotonin production, that is why you should stick to non fruit and non-fructose carbs when the craving strikes. Dark chocolate, a piece of bread (no jelly or peanut butter) with butter, a bowl of cereal (without fruit or nuts), a roll or some pasta will get you feeling better and back on track quickly.

Seems to take a lot more than 30g carbs for me. I often end up having well over 200g in the run up to my period, and often in the form of chocolate, brownies, doughnuts, ice cream and cream cakes. Though I do cycle/elliptical for an hour + almost daily as well.

Actually, I have noticed one craving that seems to override all others the last few months and that is cream. Fresh cream cakes seem to call my name. I end up carb loading in the run up to my period which might be hormone related, but I suppose could be related to my being 126 Ibs at just under 5'10 and my body trying to grab a load of fat or something.
  • Imaan2012
    Imaan2012 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    bump