Lose Weight For FREE!

Options
I just came across a post that somewhat irritated me and I must counter-act.

Friends, you do NOT have to spend a large amount each week, month, year to stay in shape. If you can afford it, by all means, indulge! But for a lot of people, including myself, that $100 put towards a year's membership at the gym HURTS! Honestly, even $20 a week puts a bad dent in it when budgeting and trying to save.

YOU CAN LOSE WEIGHT FOR FREE! (Or at most, $10 to buy a video)

How much does it cost to go for a run? A bike ride (assuming your already have a bike)? Jumping jacks? Sit-ups?

Please, do not put it in your heads that you have to spend extra money to stay in shape. Do your research. Download some exercise videos and routines. Swap good foods for bad. Instead of spening that $3 on a bag of nachos, buy some fruit instead.

You can do this at home instead of spending a ridiculous amount for a membership. Those monthly fees add up!

This is coming from someone who started on the 30DS and cleaner eating. Down 25 pounds!

Replies

• lindsiswatchingyou
    Options
    I'd like to add that you can check out workout videos from the library as well.
  • survivor1952
    survivor1952 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! Grab your ipod, sneakers and get out for a walk. And take your dog with you, he/she will love you for it.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Good points.

(And with the money people save, they'll be able to buy more shakes! :tongue: )
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,798 Member
    Options
    ive lost 25lbs working out at home
  • sailingsal
    sailingsal Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I'm down almost 60 pounds without gym membership. I cancelled my bus pass and started walking instead. Which saved me about £35 a week. As well as buying a few exercise dvds.
  • suzieqcookie
    suzieqcookie Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    i agree completely! Just the additional cost of healthier groceries (x4, cause i have 3 kids) has been rough, PLUS the new clothes i will need won't appear from thin air! Sure, might take longer or i might not get as sculpted going for walks and doing videos, but i'll lick those wounds while i shop for new clothes i can afford with the money i saved on a gym membership :)
  • OfficiallySexyVal
    OfficiallySexyVal Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    You are very right! However, I love my Zumba classes and the interaction and support I get from those ladies so I will most definitely continue to budget for it! I have a very dependant personality and need some sort of constant or I will fall off the wagon very easily. Set classes at the gym keep myself feeling accountable and help me stay motivated to get my workouts in. More power to those of you who can to it without a membership to a gym, I will be rooting for you every step of the way!
  • kathyms13
    kathyms13 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    who needs shakes, i get aggravated by the i cant afford to eat healthy posts i try and bite my tong . fruit veg cheap lean meats eggs etc are so much cheaper than prepped foods giving up the crap foods will save loads, i brought 4 kids up on next to nothing but we ate healthy i even baked my own cakes and pastries. and yes walking costs nothing so lets tell them as it is.
  • knwitall
    knwitall Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Also, YouTube has lots of workout videos you can watch. That's where i go to do my 30 day shred workouts. FOR FREE!!! :laugh:
  • girllovedcupcakes
    girllovedcupcakes Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Also, YouTube has lots of workout videos you can watch. That's where i go to do my 30 day shred workouts. FOR FREE!!! :laugh:

THIS! I got an adapter where I can play videos on my iPad and plug it right into my tv so I can see them on a bigger screen. It also works for iPhones but the video won't be as clear.
  • Rycoop311
    Rycoop311 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    yes! keep broke college kids like me motivated.

29349376.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • barkin43
    barkin43 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Excellent post!
  • OnTheWayToPerfection
    Options
    See, there are tons of options for free weight loss!

Having little money is absolutely NOT an excuse!
  • SarahofTwins
    SarahofTwins Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Indeed! I lost most of my weight just at home...Mfp, treadmill, and youtube. Its having the mindset of 'how bad ' did I want to lose weight.
  • MtnKat
    MtnKat Posts: 714
    Options
    Just one thing about running that I find to be a myth: it is NOT free.

You need a good pair of running shoes....and that can cost you well over $100 (my last pair was $110, the one before that $140). Not to mention the moisture wicking clothes, fees and gas for racing, decent socks, etc (which you can go without....but you cannot go without a decent pair of running shoes).
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Youre wrong it outrageously expensive!!

Cost us energy to get our butts off the couch. Do you know how many radishes I have to eat to supply the energy to get me to move this bulk?

Do your research next time you post.
  • jerbear1962
    jerbear1962 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I wasn't able to afford a gym so I kept an eye on Craigslist and found a Total Gym for $25.00, have used it dang near daily since I got it. I have bands as well and a dog to walk..so I have plenty of less expensive opportunities to workout.
  • Colexlovely
    Colexlovely Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I had gotten a gym membership and only went a couple times. Started working out at home and that worked better for me then waiting to use a machine at the gym. So I am definitely saving money working out at home or outside, and Its more peaceful I think down 34 pounds
  • OnTheWayToPerfection
    Options
    Youre wrong it outrageously expensive!!

Cost us energy to get our butts off the couch. Do you know how many radishes I have to eat to supply the energy to get me to move this bulk?

Do your research next time you post.

Obviously...
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I agree that it doesn't have to be expensive. We can find whatever excuses we want not to exercise. However, I live in the Arctic and there are no gym facilities in my community and it's very expensive to fly anything in. I walk often (all winter) and also get exercise riding my ATV off road. I also just moved so I got in a couple months worth of weight training in one week but I don't plan to move again for a LONG time. I've been wanting to do weight training for a long time and had no room for a home gym nor the money to fly a set in. Luckily, my new (old) house is big enough AND I found someone in my community selling a Bowflex Ultimate 2 worth over $2000 and I got it for $600. Lucky me! So, find free or cheap ways and that can include looking for great deals on second hand stuff. :wink: