any smokers ??

Options
2»

Replies

• LifeChangingExp8512
    Options
    I quit smoking since May 2012 (with help of the patch), and did manage to gain about 7-10lbs. A small price to pay I'd say. Just do it.. good luck!
  • berryjk
    berryjk Posts: 120
    Options
    I was a pack a day, and quit for 6 months, using a V2 ecigarette. I didn't have any cravings that the ecig couldn't help, and after a month or so, even the hand-to-mouth thing decreased and I only used the ecig when I'd be most likely to feel like I NEEDED a cigarette (driving long distances, or after a meal, or if I had an alcoholic drink). I was able to even step down my nicotine dose in the ecig, and had a 0 mg cigarette, which gave me the "feeling" of smoking, without any actual nicotine. I'm sure there are rules against posting discount codes and stuff like that for other sites, but if anyone decides to try the brand, I have a 15% off code that I'd be happy to share. Also should add - I LOST weight quitting, because I felt better and wanted to do more cardio, because I found myself feeling like I could push myself harder.

i agree and relate to this 100%
  • dwiley1956
    dwiley1956 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Quite smoking July 4th 2011. It was my Independence day. Two Packs plus everyday for ten years. After quitting every cookie on the planet went in my mouth and gained 25 pounds. My fitness pal has helped me lose 42 pounds and the ability to tie my shoes again without being out of breath. In response to an earlier blog by someone, don't let it be a lose lose situation. Looking good is feeling good. You can do it. Good luck.
  • vickilm1976
    vickilm1976 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    If you really really want to stop smoking, forever, please read Allen Carr's, Easy Way To Stop Smoking. I was lent a copy of this and it took me months to pluck up the courage to read it. Deep down, I was scared to death of 'giving up' smoking and never having that crutch again. I had been smoking for 30 years and couldn't imagine a life without cigarettes.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, I read the book over two years ago and I've not touched a cigarette since, nor did I feel any particular cravings to smoke again. I know several people who have stopped smoking, after reading the book, and none of them have started again.

For the price of a packet of cigarettes (in the UK at least) what have you got to lose?

Martin

^^^THIS^^^ Me and my BF quit a year ago next month. I lent the book to a friend and she also quit and has since dropped a ton of weight.
  • MSxJENNY
    MSxJENNY Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I used to smoked (quit cold turkey in Feb) & seriously the first 3 days were so HARD! but I didn't gain any weight because I was exercising daily. I read somewhere that when you quit smoking, you should at most gain 5 lbs because your heart rate would race when you smoke because of the toxins & the heart is tryna fight it off so when you quit, your heart doesn't need to fight any toxins off anymore. maybe pick up a sport?

I hope that helps!
  • slamkajs
    Options
    My mom quit smoking by using Chantix (Varenicline) after smoking for over 22 years. My girlfriend's step father did the same thing after smoking for 30 years. Might be something to look into.
  • Short_Sweet724
    Options
    Quitting is next on my list. I have decided I need to get my healthy eating and workout into a solid routine (2 good weeks down) and then I am going to quit cold turkey...and let me tell you I AM TERRIFIED!!!! I dont want to gain weight and set myself back...but im hoping with with good habits in place i can at least counteract what could happen. Glad there are others out there for support because im pretty sure i am going to need it!
  • bkankula
    Options
    Hello group, I smoked for 22 years and quit 11 years ago with the help from a chiropractor. The method he used was accu"pressure". It releases natural endorphins and as long as you dont substitute food for cigarettes, you'll lose weight. Use this site for inspiration and other helpful hints and you will suceed! Goodluck everyone :wink:
  • blondie1471
    blondie1471 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    ive started reading it but stopped as i dont think it will work
  • martincsaint
    Options
    ive started reading it but stopped as i dont think it will work

It works, trust me. After two weeks, I knew I'd never smoke a cigarette again in my life. Over two years later, and I am as sure now as I was then. I was a non smoker from the day I decided I wanted to be.

Martin
    018980 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have been smoking off and on for the last couple years. The reason why smoking help keeps the weight off is because it is a stimulant and so you don't feel hungry and you eat less but there are other ways to feel that effect. Drinking coffee in the morning really helps me. Also exercising - when you quit and see how much easier it is to exercise it makes it a lot easier to stay off of cigs. For me even walking up stairs is easier. best of luck!
  • gavini
    gavini Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    i smoked a half a pack a day for 23 years, quit 55 days ago and have lost 8 pounds in that time.

dont make excuses or use one bad thing as a crutch for another. if you want to quit then do it, if you dont want to then dont try since you need to be dedicated to it for it to work.
  • Absonthebrain
    Absonthebrain Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I agree with everything Moxie 42 said.

If you want online smoking cessation support (which I used and still visit occasionally), join this group....you won't be sorry. I am 18 months quit after 43 years of smoking. I credit my success to the free online support group who has been there and done that. And I am still at the same weight as before.

http://forums.about.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?folderId=4&listMode=13&nav=messages&webtag=ab-quitsmoking

CHECK it out and see for yourself...as I said, it is just people quitting smoking...some successful, some not!

Donna

Donna thanks for mentioning this forum! I so need it and encouragement right now in this area!