Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Healthy Diet

Hi,
So I am 6 ft tall and weigh around 240 lb. Currently MFP tells me to eat around 1670 but I've read around and it said 1200 is enough for basic functions.
My question is am I eating enough or should I increase, Here is today's result as an example:

Goal: 1670
Food: 1805
Exercise: 689
NET: 1116
Remaining: 554

So am I eating enough or should I be consuming the remaining 554 also?
Oh and I am trying to lose weight.
Thanks!

Replies

• lisamarie2181
    lisamarie2181 Posts: 560 Member
    Mfp seems to put everyone at 1200, you might be better off doing one of the bmr calculators to see what cals are good for u. I did this and found i was eating way below what i should. Check out in place of a road map thread (sorry on my phone and cant get the link), this helped me out tremendously and have upped my cals and it seems to be working well for me. Check it out if ur interested :)
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    MFP puts you at 1200 as a default minimum. If you tell it you want to lose 2#a week...it wont let you go lower than that...it isn't healthy. Going slower gives you more calories. I'm set at losing about a pound a week...and my calories are set accordingly...at 1610. Plus exercise calories. Taking your weight loss slower is healthier, more sustainable and you get much more leeway in choosing what to eat.
  • Nomi923
    Nomi923 Posts: 43 Member
    Thank, I know what your trying to say. My question was I'm a pretty big guy so would 1200 be enough for me? or should I do the 1600-1700 as instructed?
  • The question is back to you - - do YOU feel full and satisfied at 1200? If not, you can eat more. Find the range that works for you. If you are starving and feeling deprived at 1200, you will find it difficult to make the "lifestyle change"...it's NOT a diet.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Thank, I know what your trying to say. My question was I'm a pretty big guy so would 1200 be enough for me? or should I do the 1600-1700 as instructed?

People are trying to tell you to educate yourself using the stickies at the top of this forum and find out what you are supposed to be eating.

1200 is NOT enough for everyone and given your size that means you too. At 6ft and 240lbs I would be surprised if your BMR (the very MINIMUM) that you need to eat to just lay in bed all day in a coma is under 1900. In the end it's your body and only you can decide what you should do but if you don't eat enough I know that your loss will stall eventually and you will not be as healthy as you could be.
  • jcr85
    jcr85 Posts: 229
    An easy way to determine how many calories to eat to lose weight is times your weight by 10. Not perfect but neither is all the other calculations you can do.
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    You should be NETTING your daily calorie goal! Normally you should net your BMR which I'm guessing is a lot higher than even your calorie goal that the website gave you.

1,200 is far too low for anyone unless you are very short and at a low weight already.
  • Nomi923
    Nomi923 Posts: 43 Member
    Ok so I do get 1200 isn't enough which is why I increased it to 1600 from now on. Now for the person that said you should be netting your BMR.

My BMR is 2400 so if I'm trying lose weigh shouldn't I eat less than that?