WHEAT FREE FRIENDS

Options
Hello All,

I recently started reading Wheat Belly which was written by a physician explaining the impact of the modern genetically mutated form of wheat on our health and bodies. For as long as I can remember (I am 23, so not THAT long), I have had digestive issues. Most doctors say it is IBS and to try this and that and nothing has ever completely solved the issue (mainly, crazy constipation and incredible bloating that makes me appear 6 months pregnant even at a normal, healthy weight).

Anyways, reading testimonies of people who had very similar symptoms to me and how eliminating wheat and wheat products from their diets completely changed their lives, bodies, and how they feel has given me a new hope to "cure" my issues!

I am looking for friends who currently live a wheat free lifestyle so I can ask questions (which I have a lot of after 2 days of trying to be wheat free) and gain idea about meals!

Replies

• meganlee85
    Options
    Hi there!

I've recently been eating some wheat, but overall I have been eating wheat free/gluten free for over a year. Within three days of going wheat free, my bloated belly was already disappearing and my energy levels were skyrocketing. My whole body and emotional state started feeling better. It's definitely tough at times, but it's getting easier and easier to find WF/GF foods and recipes.

If you need any help finding foods, recipes, or just have questions, I'd love to help :) I have a LOT of recipes published on the blog I kept while going Gluten free AND vegan last year: http://eatsimpleeatfresh.blogspot.com

I now eat meat but still want to focus on lots of fresh produce. Just started this health/fitness tumblr too :)http://eatsimple.tumblr.com
  • MENichols5
    MENichols5 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Any more wheat free folks willing to help a girl out?! :flowerforyou:
  • sabrajanebrown
    sabrajanebrown Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    The possibilities are endless!
    My friends make me pies with brown rice flour crusts -- which are scruptious!
    My office mates love my coconut flour cupcakes (they don't taste like coconut either).
    My three teenaged boys have no idea I replaced the pizza dough with quinoa flour.
    And Rudi's bakery (find it at Whole Foods) makes an incredible Spelt bread that is wonderful with sandwiches!
    Then there's almond and amaranthe flours. You could also use tapioc a flour and soy flour.
    I like the website www.comfybelly.com for a lot of wheat and grain free recipes.
  • MENichols5
    MENichols5 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    thank you! :)
  • bizchic
    bizchic Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hey!

You may want to be tested for Celiac Disease. My boyfriend "had IBS" until he was diagnosed with celiac disease. Now he has zero stomach issues.

I use potatoe starch, rice flour, Udi's or Rudi's bread, Bob Redmill cake and cookie mixes, rice tortillas, corn tortillas, rice pasta, grass fed meats and GF jellies, jams, etc. Basically for ANYTHING you like to eat that is not wheat and/or gluten free, there is a substitute! I also use coconut milk and almond milk instead of real dairy and GF rice cheese. HOWEVER, for our family, the easiest way to eat GF is to eat veggies, fruits, nuts, fish, and meat(all the basics).

Good luck!
  • FrangapaniAnnie
    FrangapaniAnnie Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I am also (attempting) to be wheat free. 10 months now but many falls off the wagon