Adding bulk to your diet - ideas?

Options
I'm finding my weight bounces all over, and one reason (I think) is that I'm taking in a much lower volume of food... which means I'm putting out a lower volume if you catch my drift... and thus it's not a "regular" event. *cough cough*

I'm looking for ideas on how to easily add bulk to my diet? I usually eat a large green leafy salad for lunch about 3 days a week - 3 cups of baby spinach or mixed greens with a chicken breast and flax-seed with balsamic vinegar. What are some other options?

I don't mind some calories if it's good nutritious food.

Thanks!

Replies

• VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    Thats not very much to put in a salad! :smile: Theres all kinds of things you can put.... apples, almonds, dried cranberries, sun flower seeds, avacado, cucumber, carrots, black beans, salsa, red peppers (or any kind), hummus... hope this helped!!!

~Leash :heart:
  • tparo
    tparo Posts: 3
    Options
    The key is keeping your fiber intake high. Most Americans don't get nearly enough fiber when they're over-eating much less when they're on a diet. In fact, I read that the average American gets less than 50% of the amount of fiber required for good health. Actually recommendations for an adult seem to range anywhere from 25 to 50 grams per day. I try to stay on the high side of that range and keep fiber as one of the nutrients tracked in my food diary.

To reach my fiber goal I find I need to seek out foods that are intentionally high in fiber. My favorite sources include Fiber One Cereal (the original one), which has 14 grams of fiber for 60 calories in 1/2 cup. I sometimes eat this dry as a quick snack. Another very fiber dense cereal is All Bran Brand Buds (13g fiber / 70 calories). I don't eat much bread at home but when I do it's the "double fiber" whole wheat type which is offered by a few companies (1 slice typically has 5 grams fiber and 100 calories).

Anyway, keeping your fiber up has many health benefits. Google it and you'll get all sorts of info. Regarding "regularity": When I'm eating a calorie restricted diet my frequency drops way off. Obviously the body is using everything I give it for energy and has very little left over. Fiber is something it doesn't use for energy (this is generally correct anyway). Fiber passes through. Keep your fiber intake high and you should see your "regularity" return to a normal level, even while running a calorie deficit.
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    Yogi Cereals and Kashi cereals are great sources of "bulk" and they do not taste like cardboard. They are seriously delicious and nutritious.

Also:

Whole fruits like apples
    Raw veggies for snacks
    Try making one meal per day vegetarian and use beans
    Steel cut oats

I add slightly steamed broccoli to my dinners almost everyday. And when I have a salad, I never limit the amount of greens. I weigh/measure for content only, but I go crazy with the baby spinach.
    If you drink milk, try Kefir. It has probiotics that help "regulate" you, and on 8 oz glass per day works wonders.

Hope that helps.
    Holly
  • HonestOmnivore
    HonestOmnivore Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the great ideas! If anyone has any more please keep them coming!

I remember a friend who used to make "hay stacks" by adding 1 tp melted dark chocolate to a TB of fiber cereal to make high fiber, low sugar snacks... I'm not sure how healthy that would be...
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    I like to eat lite frozen entrees for lunch, but I try to choose the ones with sauce and add 2 cups of veggies. Zuchinni to spagetti or lasagne, frozen stir fry veggies to chinese. It works well with anything that has a sauce.
  • tparo
    tparo Posts: 3
    Options
    I agree, Kashi cereals are great. My favorite is the one simply called GoLean High Protein & High Fiber Cereal. It has 13g protein and 10g fiber for 140 calories. Not nearly as fiber dense as Fiber One Original but the taste is certainly better!

Regarding the haystacks idea... I have a hard time thinking of something made with chocolate as "low sugar" but it's all relative I guess. Definitely sounds like a great way to make a high fiber treat though!
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    Beans are an excellent source as someone stated for very little calories. Pinto, Lima, Green and black beans give you the most. I add them to taco meat. Someone recommended putting black beans in No Pudge Brownie mix.

Caliecat has posted a recipe for flax seed muffins which have about 5-10 g per muffin.

Popcorn is a good non soluble fiber. Any all bran cereal. I would mix fiber one cereal with a small box of raisins and some peanuts for a snack.

Just don't forget your water and squats for an extra push:wink: