SO SICK OF PROTEIN!!

Options
I can't emphasize this enough. I worked out tonight for 2 hours and my body was screaming for carbs! Anyone had luck losing weight and not cutting out the carbs? I lost an initial 8 pounds eating nothing but protein - but have been stuck at the same weight for over 3 weeks. I am not totally going by the scale - but a loss would be nice.
My clothes are fitting better - and I feel great. I just don't want to blow things by introducing carbs back into my diet. I work out about 5 days a week - I used to do a lot of cardio - and someone suggested lifting. I hired a trainer, started strength training and I am seeing results. I guess my question is - can i eat some damn pasta or what? hahah j/k (sorta) No seriously, any suggestions?

Replies

• JustPeachy044
    JustPeachy044 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Eat some carbs, friend! Your body is craving them...they are essential to good health too and can help rebuild muscle in harmony with protein. I think if you do whole wheat pasta and stick to a serving versus eating half the box, you are golden. Also, load up on veggies and fruits. They are SOOOOO good for you, providing lots of micro nutrients you can't get from meat. And, lots of leafy greens have protein too!!!

Check out this link!
    http://www.oneresult.com/articles/supplements/why-you-need-carbohydrates-post-exercise
  • krivedal
    krivedal Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I eat 25% protein, 25% fat and 50% carbs and I've lost 53 lbs. our bodies need all three.
  • paijing
    paijing Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Look into carb cycling: eating more carbs on days you work out and fewer carbs on days you rest. Many swear by it. One girl I know follows a "High, Low, No" three day cycle.
  • zeebruhgirl
    zeebruhgirl Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I only eat sweet potatoes as carbs cause they are major healthy :] Love it!

I'm a huge protein girl though.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    If you are desperate for carbs... Eat them.
    Simple.

Just make sure you are getting a balance of food on your diet, I seriously doubt that a bowl of pasta is going to reverse everything you've done in the past few weeks or months.
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    Your body needs carbs *(especially if you're working out a lot). You can limit your intake but you probably shouldn't* rid of them completely. Like someone else said, maybe try carb cycling. I always had a big plate of spaghetti the night before a soccer game. Miss those days </3 lol
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Anyone had luck losing weight and not cutting out the carbs?

Yes.
  • BeetleChe13
    BeetleChe13 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I eat over 200g of carbs a day and have been maintaining beneath my original goal weight for over half a year now. Though I do aim for 90g of protein a day, it rarely happens. Carbs are not the enemy, and they boost your mood. Eat what you want in moderation.
  • irisheyes7177
    irisheyes7177 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Look into carb cycling: eating more carbs on days you work out and fewer carbs on days you rest. Many swear by it. One girl I know follows a "High, Low, No" three day cycle.

This sounds interesting!! I will look into it for sure!
  • bowseramanda
    bowseramanda Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I am going to research this as well. thanks!
    are you wanting pasta or will any carb... like an apple do? Personally I just don't think I could cut out fruit.
  • ang3h
    ang3h Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I tried the low carb thing and lasted like.. two days. I love carbs way too much. I've still been able to lose weight.. if I go overboard on the carbs I bloat the next day but other than that it's all good.
  • ErinRibbens
    ErinRibbens Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I got to my goal weight eating plenty of carbs. And fat. I make sure I get my protein, too. Just stay under your calorie limit, and have some pasta!!!
  • jazee11
    jazee11 Posts: 321
    Options
    I say eat the pasta if you want it. No sense in torturing yourself. Plan ahead and add it to your journal.
  • erin_zuk
    erin_zuk Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Carbs are NOT your enemy.
  • thescrumisfun
    Options
    Carbs are your friend! Everything in moderation. Right now I am at 40% carbs, 30% fat, and 30% protein. Find something that you are satisfied with and keep on moving! :)
  • Tempe729
    Tempe729 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I eat plenty of carbs (and getting in my protein) and have been losing weight just fine. I enjoy pasta at least once a week =) if your body craves it then go for it! There are plenty of low-cal options out there :flowerforyou:
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    Anyone had luck losing weight and not cutting out the carbs?

yep. the only reason why i've reduced some carbs is because i have gluten sensitivites, but i will eat the hell out of some gluten free stuff when i happen upon some that actually tastes good
  • Irish_eyes75
    Options
    Eat a freaking potato, will ya! :grumble:
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    Eat some carbs girlfriend! They are definitely essential for powering you through your day, nevermind your workouts. I think the problem with carbs is portion control. It's so easy (and for most, normal) to eat a bowl of cereal, a bowl of pasta, a bowl of ice cream, etc. Just have to be careful to measure out that damn 2/3 cup of cereal and it should work into your calories/macros nicely.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    You can definitely lose weight while consuming carbs. You will gain a little bit of weight back after reintroducing carbs into your diet, but don't worry, It's glycogen and water weight, not fat. Eventually, you'll begin leaning out again.